Anyone carry an STI LS? Tiny, Skinny 1911-style 9mm - Page 2

Anyone carry an STI LS? Tiny, Skinny 1911-style 9mm

This is a discussion on Anyone carry an STI LS? Tiny, Skinny 1911-style 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The extended thumb safety on my Dan Wesson requires that I place my thumb on top of it, or I bump it occasionally. Noted it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone carry an STI LS? Tiny, Skinny 1911-style 9mm

The extended thumb safety on my Dan Wesson requires that I place my thumb on top of it, or I bump it occasionally. Noted it right away, and it's now automatic for me to rest my thumb on top of it. Maybe the LS's thumbsafety sticks out further in relation to the skinny slide?

What's the recoil like? Are you saying the LS recoils a lot, or not?

I see you're in Wichita, maybe you purchased the very LS I was looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Thats because it weighs 28 ounces. Compared to other subcompact 9mm pistols, thats awfully heavy.
    +1

I LOVE 1911s, but I'll take that same 6+1 in a Kahr PM9 any day and, at roughly half the price. And, I do... I pocket carry one every day.

Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    The extended thumb safety on my Dan Wesson requires that I place my thumb on top of it, or I bump it occasionally. Noted it right away, and it's now automatic for me to rest my thumb on top of it. Maybe the LS's thumbsafety sticks out further in relation to the skinny slide?

What's the recoil like? Are you saying the LS recoils a lot, or not?

I see you're in Wichita, maybe you purchased the very LS I was looking at.
    I brought it at the Bullet Stop, kind of a spur of the moment thing. Had that Sig 238 I brought on Gunbroker for 550. and didn't like it at all. Didn't really need the LS. Gave 275 difference.

PM-9

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    +1

I LOVE 1911s, but I'll take that same 6+1 in a Kahr PM9 any day and, at roughly half the price. And, I do... I pocket carry one every day.
    I have a PM9 also I carry most of the time cause it is so small. Has very good accurate, just not to fond of the long trigger pull. Also some felt recoil in trigger compared to a larger pistol. But very easy to concel and hard to beat for carry. Take it anywhere, that's the advantage of the Kahr.

Wichita represents

I have to put my OACP in the safe to read this thread, so it doesn't get short barrel syndrome, and start malffing after 15 years. If the controls are standard 1911, I would be interested. Sub 1K doesn't bother me for a nice 1911, either.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by mossweed View Post
    I traded for a new one of these about a week ago. Had a Sig 238 that was way to small and cheap looking I thought. Anyway the LS is sort of heavy for it's size 28 oz m /t. The thing I don't like about it is you must shoot it with your thumb on top of thumb saftey. If you place your thumb anyuwhere under the thumb saftey it with hit the saftey lever when gun recoiled and then gun won't fire. I tried putting on a new saftey but same results. Called STI and Tech rep said most people shoot all 1911 with thumb on top of saftey. Well that was news to me cause I never had. I own 2 kimbers and don't have this problem with them. Seem arkward to shoot this way when not used to it. I won't use it for conceled carry. To much to remember. I don't want to have to think about placing thumb on top of saftey to hold it down. Any LS owners out there that has some imput on this??
    Do you ever carry a 1911? The only time I've seen shooters use a low thumb grip (thumb not on safety) are people who are not familiar with the platform at the range, who rack the slide and start firing.

Not trying to offend, just trying to wrap my head around using a low thumb grip on a 1911.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

the bull barrel is generally more reliable than a standard setup with a bushing with shorter length barrels.
    thats why youll see more compact 1911oid guns with bull barrels.

its also nice to add a bit of weight up front to keep the muzzle nods down a little bit in a short snappy gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mossweed View Post
    I have a PM9 also I carry most of the time cause it is so small. Has very good accurate, just not to fond of the long trigger pull. Also some felt recoil in trigger compared to a larger pistol. But very easy to concel and hard to beat for carry. Take it anywhere, that's the advantage of the Kahr.
    I gave 500 for a used one with night sights about a year ago. But new one with N/S are much higher. Around 750 dollars....... They have a new model of the PM9 that has a loaded chamber indicator on top of slide. But they also make the older one without the bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Do you ever carry a 1911? The only time I've seen shooters use a low thumb grip (thumb not on safety) are people who are not familiar with the platform at the range, who rack the slide and start firing.

Not trying to offend, just trying to wrap my head around using a low thumb grip on a 1911.
    Well It just always seems arkward to me putting thumb on top. I talked to the gunsmith which is 60 years old and he shoots his with thumb under the safety like I had been doing. Some of the 1911 models have a bobed off safety which would make high thumb more difficult I would think. Course you could always change the safety out to one you like. Not a big deal. I know competition shooters use the high safety hold. I just didn't think it should be mandatory for the gun to fire correctly. The LS is the first I seen that the recoil would cause the thumb to hit the safety and engage it. Well I don't know much about the subject so better leave it to the experts. I've only been shooting handguns for 4 years so don't have a lot of old knowledge. I did ask around at the indoor range and found about 50% did it thumb under and the other 50% use the high safety hold.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post

I carry a PM9 kahr most of the time or a Glock. We have only had conceal carry in Ks. for 3 plus years. Yeah I get your point, if carrying cocked and locked it would be natural to leave the thumb on the safety. Sounds right to me, just hadn't given it any thought before. Guess if I had taken some professional defense pistol classes I would know the proper way to shoot a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by nolt View Post
    the bull barrel is generally more reliable than a standard setup with a bushing with shorter length barrels.
    thats why youll see more compact 1911oid guns with bull barrels.
    Yes, and it helps with accuracy, too. My 4.25" Kimber and the 4" Rock Island I just picked up yesterday both have the bull barrel/bushingless setup with FLGRs.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I handled one at a dealer, and the thumb safety was not well-fitted, and was quite loose. That should never have gotten past QC. That turned me off to STI.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links