Anyone carry an STI LS? Tiny, Skinny 1911-style 9mm

This is a discussion on Anyone carry an STI LS? Tiny, Skinny 1911-style 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While looking into a 3" .45acp 1911 at my local gun store the other evening, I came across the STI LS. Specs from STI website: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

While looking into a 3" .45acp 1911 at my local gun store the other evening, I came across the STI LS.
    Specs from STI website:
    Slide .765" thick; 1.06" across the very thin wood grip panels.
    7" long, 4.4" tall, 3.4" barrel.
    28oz
    Capacity 6+1 rounds 9mm.

STI International - The STI

The guy behind the counter, who has always been low pressure and my favorite guy to deal with there, said he (well, his wife) has one and recoil is very minimal.

Anybody carry one? Shorter than short butt was big enough for me to get half a pinky on it (I have relatively small hands), and it is skinnier than skinny. I am not so keen on only 6+1 9mm; OTOH, the 9mm would get back on target more quickly than a 3" .45.

Kind of pricey. $991

Have you had experience with the 1911 platform???
    Barrels less than about 4 inches tend to be prone to various problems; usually related to the guide rod/recoil spring.....replacing with a lighter spring can help....
    No personal data on the STI.....others have said they're quality-oriented, so the $900+ price doesn't surprise me (along the lines of the Colt Lightweight Defender 4" bbl @~$875....).
    Ideally, try to get to a range that rents one....and shoot it!
    See if it works for you.....if possible, try FMJ AND JHPs through it to check for full functionality (some rental places ONLY allow THEIR ammo, so watch out for "sticker shock" here!!).
    FWIW....a Glock 36 (6+1, single stack) runs about $550-$580 in NH; it's my EDC and it works GREAT!!
    Good luck with your decision!!

Quote Originally Posted by das38spl View Post
    Have you had experience with the 1911 platform???
    Barrels less than about 4 inches tend to be prone to various problems; usually related to the guide rod/recoil spring.....replacing with a lighter spring can help....
    Um, it's not exactly a 1911, it's just 1911-style. The barrel doesn't even have a link, for example. The particular guy behind the counter that day, who I do trust, says his wife has one, so he "has" one. Says theirs runs great. That's why I was looking for people that carry one... which reminds me, I'll have to check on 1911forum.

Ideally, try to get to a range that rents one....and shoot it! See if it works for you.....if possible, try FMJ AND JHPs through it to check for full functionality (some rental places ONLY allow THEIR ammo, so watch out for "sticker shock" here!!).
    I have yet to find a shop that rents anything unusual here in Kansas. I wanted to rent a pm9 a couple years back. I ended up finding a shop that had a Kahr P9, but it was either 2 or 3 hours away (KC or Topeka). No can rentee.

FWIW....a Glock 36 (6+1, single stack) runs about $550-$580 in NH; it's my EDC and it works GREAT!!
    The idea behind the LS is that it's small & thin. The G36 is a great gun, but I have a Dan Wesson CBOB and it's a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffyp View Post
    Kind of pricey. $991
    Yes, absolutely. Local GS, whose prices are usually far too high, wants $800. But if it was a good running gun and I carried it whenever I couldn't carry something bigger, it might be worth it.

It is basically a 1911. It just doesn't have a bushing on the barrel. Many Kimbers and Springfields have this as well. What was said is true, 1911s with less than a 4 inch barrel do have more malfunctions than the larger counterparts.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    recoil is very minimal
    Thats because it weighs 28 ounces. Compared to other subcompact 9mm pistols, thats awfully heavy.

AzB
    The Taurus PT 709 is over half a pound lighter, an inch shorter, has 1 more in the mag, and is half the price.

The STI is prettier, if that's important to you. But these guns are for deep concealment, so nobody ever really sees them anyway.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Thats because it weighs 28 ounces. Compared to other subcompact 9mm pistols, thats awfully heavy.
    You ain't a kiddin', I thought that was a typo at first. It felt substantial, but I didn't think of it being within 6 ounces of my DW CBOB. I do not quite understand why they offer this tiny 9 in all steel and not an aluminum or alloy frame. Only thing I can figure is that the frame is so narrow that strength became an issue, or that aluminum/alloy would make an already-expensive gun even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    It is basically a 1911. It just doesn't have a bushing on the barrel. Many Kimbers and Springfields have this as well. What was said is true, 1911s with less than a 4 inch barrel do have more malfunctions than the larger counterparts.
    I didn't realize there were linkless Kimbers and Springfields - just thought they were bushingless. Thank you.

I understand the standard "smaller 1911's malfunction more than bigger ones" warning, as it comes up in every small 1911 thread on here... That's why I was asking if anyone had firsthand experience with the LS.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    The Taurus PT 709 is over half a pound lighter, an inch shorter, has 1 more in the mag, and is half the price.

The STI is prettier, if that's important to you. But these guns are for deep concealment, so nobody ever really sees them anyway.
    ...but the PF9 that frequently rides @ 3:30-4:30 is thinner than the Taurus, reliability tested and paid for! I've heard a lot of good about that Taurus, and it might replace the pf9 someday if it's a better shooter, but got that base covered sufficiently for now.

I was thinking the STI would be something that would carry in places where I absolutely DO NOT want to made. The pf9 is very good for this, but there are some occasions where I could see arousing some suspicion due to the grip length. This STI's got a grip length like a PM9, and the frame & slide are within .015" of being as narrow as the Kahr .380. I can't help but be intrigued by that!

No experience with that model, but STI makes fine products. The price seems a bit high, but it's been awhile since I've priced out anything from that company.

You mention this being for times when size is a deciding factor, you said you like the kahr's sleekness. Why not pick up a Kahr? In the summer the MK9 is my main carry, it's small but more than accurate for what I need. It's slim, but has a decent heft to it that I like. The recoil is very manageable. The only downside is it's 6+1 capacity. Even the Kahr K9 is a smaller and least costly option than the STI. And as someone mentioned, the smaller 1911's seem to be more incident prone. I have no long term experience with the tinier versions though, so I can't personally comment on it. Unless you're absolutely dead set on a 1911 you can find better options, for a better price.

Quote Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
    No experience with that model, but STI makes fine products. The price seems a bit high, but it's been awhile since I've priced out anything from that company.

You mention this being for times when size is a deciding factor, you said you like the kahr's sleekness. Why not pick up a Kahr?
    Have considered several Kahrs before - PM9/45, MK9, CW9/45. If I'm spending that much though, I might not mind spending a little more to get a single action trigger. Ironic that I always choked at the Kahr's price tags, (local gunstore wants $150 over gunbroker for the PM9), but am actually considering $800+tax for something else.

Even the Kahr K9 is a smaller and least costly option than the STI.
    Really, is it smaller? The length might be less, but thickness and height seem to be the deciding factors for how well something conceals.

Unless you're absolutely dead set on a 1911 you can find better options, for a better price.
    That's quite likely.

You're right, it's .1" higher. Width is .12" or so more. Guess I should have checked the stats before running my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    I like the size, reminds me of the C&S Adventurer

I'd like to shoot one before I bought one though.

BTW, most 3" 1911's run fine, if you lube 'em right, and know how to shoot.

JMHO and

YMMV

Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

...but the PF9 that frequently rides @ 3:30-4:30 is thinner than the Taurus, reliability tested and paid for! I've heard a lot of good about that Taurus, and it might replace the pf9 someday if it's a better shooter, but got that base covered sufficiently for now.

I was thinking the STI would be something that would carry in places where I absolutely DO NOT want to made. The pf9 is very good for this, but there are some occasions where I could see arousing some suspicion due to the grip length. This STI's got a grip length like a PM9, and the frame & slide are within .015" of being as narrow as the Kahr .380. I can't help but be intrigued by that!

If you want a small go anywhere 9mm and are willing to spend that much take a look at the Rohrbaugh R9s. *******
    Height 3.7"*Length 5 1/8"*Thickness 0.85"*Capacity 6+1*Weight 12.8oz
    Around $1,000 it is a true pocket 9mm.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

STI LS-9mm

I traded for a new one of these about a week ago. Had a Sig 238 that was way to small and cheap looking I thought. Anyway the LS is sort of heavy for it's size 28 oz m /t. The thing I don't like about it is you must shoot it with your thumb on top of thumb saftey. If you place your thumb anyuwhere under the thumb saftey it with hit the saftey lever when gun recoiled and then gun won't fire. I tried putting on a new saftey but same results. Called STI and Tech rep said most people shoot all 1911 with thumb on top of saftey. Well that was news to me cause I never had. I own 2 kimbers and don't have this problem with them. Seem arkward to shoot this way when not used to it. I won't use it for conceled carry. To much to remember. I don't want to have to think about placing thumb on top of saftey to hold it down. Any LS owners out there that has some imput on this??

I would add to my last message, the LS-9 is very accurate and fed the ammo with any hicups, just that thumb saftey deal I hated. If I had always shot 1911 this way I suppose I wouldn't noticed this problem. Must be the excessive recoil for this thin made frame. I shoit my Glock 19 today, and it's much less recoil I thought. Course It's bigger also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links