G 26 or Snubbie? - Page 2

G 26 or Snubbie?

This is a discussion on G 26 or Snubbie? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would definately go with a hammerless snub like a S&W 642. If you are ever in a situation, god forbid, that you have to ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: G 26 or Snubbie?

Everyone needs a snubby

I would definately go with a hammerless snub like a S&W 642. If you are ever in a situation, god forbid, that you have to shoot from your pocket, you can empty the cylinder from the snubbie. The G26 will get one shot off.

The .38 special is a great round, and I think it is too often overlooked in todays age where everyone thinks you need a 9mm, .40, .45, ect, auto or you are outgunned. Additionally, .38 special is an absolute blast (pun partially intended) to shoot out of a larger revolver.

IMO, a snubbie is a great option to carry. More often than not, I have my S&W 340M&P in my pocket when I leave the house. It's very lightweight and easy to conceal and just like my pocket knife or cell phone, I don't even notice it's there most of the time. Plus, i can load the 340M&P with .357mag or .38 special or a combination of both if I want to. it does have it's disadvantages,though. Capacity (only 5 shots), slower to reload, and it's a little more difficult to learn how to shoot well. Overall, along with the auto's, a snubbie is a very viable SD tool to have in the inventory.

I am a revolver fanatic, but if you can only have one, I have to vote that twice the round count is just too good to overlook. And while revolvers always work vs. an auto, Glocks are just amazing in terms of their reliability. Got to go with the Glock on this one.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

looks like my unofficial poll so far is 8-4 for a snubbie with several nutural responses. Any one carry the G26 IWB at 2:00 or is it too large to do so comfortably?

Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    looks like my unofficial poll so far is 8-4 for a snubbie with several nutural responses. Any one carry the G26 IWB at 2:00 or is it too large to do so comfortably?
    I've got the 27, and it's great to carry anywhere on the waist. I've always been a revolver guy but I must admit that I've switched in the last couple of weeks. It's super light, has more rounds and the recoil is decidedly less even though it's a 40.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

642 with laser grips.Get snap caps and speedloaders or speedstrips to practice reloads and dryfiring. Try to keep the laser dot from moving when dryfiring. Grip it like there is someone trying to take it from you and shoot you with it. Most people who can't shoot an airweight snubie blame the gun when in reality they don't want to spend the time to learn to shoot one. Dryfiring helps a lot. Finding 38 ammo at gunshops here is not a problem. Have only seen it once at wal-mart. My wife averages 1.75" groups at 15 feet with her 642 using target ammo and her nyclad carry ammo.

I may very well be in the same boat as the OP this summer, though I am finding the glock 19 is really not that difficult to conceal under most tshirts

The hammerless Centennial Models;442,642,340etc. can be fired repeatedly from inside a coat pocket. If a revolver jams it because it is broke. The revolver can be fired reliably with a poor grip. Immediate action on a revolver involves pulling the trigger again, the end.
    marcclarke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    I can carry my G27 anywhere on the waist. No problems.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    I'm from Sugar Land and have all three, 19, 26 and 642. The 26 is much easier to conceal than the 19 because of the shortened grip height. The 19 usually only gets carried in the cooler months. I can carry either the 26 or 642 in cargo short pockets. Pocket carry is my main method the majority of the year. While either gun can be carried in my front pocket, the edge goes to the 642.

It doesn't matter whether you get the 26 or 642 now because, sooner or later, you'll own both. I got the 642 after the 19 to be my carry gun in the summer time. I added the 26 last, as the weather started cooling down in the fall.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

G 26 or Snubbie?
    For you or for me? You ought to know what I think by now. Glock.....it's what everyone should carry if they were in their right mind. LOL!

Get the 26. The 19 and 26 will conceal easily IWB. I'm skinny and I can easily conceal a G30 IWB. If you get a good IWB for the 19 you should be able to use it for the 26 to. You also get the benefit of being able to use your 19 mags for reloads in the 26.
    For concealment just wear loose cloths. Even when I was living in humid East Texas during the summer I'd wear a t-shirt tucked in and a button up short sleeve shirt for a cover garment. It's not that hot to do.
    As for pocket carry some like it. It's not for me though as I put everything in my front pockets.
    As for the snubbie they're not for me especially for a primary pistol. Call me weird but I just don't like the way revolvers fit in my hand.
    Last edited by remington79; March 27th, 2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added text

In short I would get the G26. For your tastes it would probably be best it sounds like. I don't plan on pocket carrying my 26, it just don't feel right. But I do have an excellent Taurus M 605 that works great for me in the pocket carry mode. My 26 I carry just about every other way however.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Once upon a time I had both And got stupid and traded them thinking I could get along with my g23. I could not replace them fast enough! While the baby glocks conceal better, they are not quite as versatile as a lightweight j frame. With Glock, you always have to be careful to protect the trigger, so that llimits it to holster carry. I say go with the j frame.
    Last edited by glockman10mm; March 27th, 2010 at 07:17 PM.

Kahr PM9

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links