G 26 or Snubbie?

This is a discussion on G 26 or Snubbie? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For starters, never let numbers in a poll decide what fits you! You are a unique person, with unique dimensions. Secondly, a G26 may work ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: G 26 or Snubbie?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    For starters, never let numbers in a poll decide what fits you! You are a unique person, with unique dimensions.

Secondly, a G26 may work no better for you than a G19. If it is the outside rear corner of the slide that is printing against your clothing, well, that dimension of a G26 is equal to the G19. I found a G27, which has exterior dimensions the same as a G26, no easier to wear in my favored 0300-0330 position than a full-sized G22 duty pistol, because the outside rear corner of the slide is what prints when I wear a gun at that position. I sold the G27 and just carried the G22, or carried a revolver in that spot. Then, I switched to a SIG P229, which because the rear of the slide does not need to enclose a striker mechanism, conceals easier for me than any Glock.

That same rear-protruding side works against the Glock for pocket carry, too, and especially when trying to draw the weapon from the pocket, compared to a snubby that has no hammer spur.

I am not saying Glocks are bad. Your G19 is an excellent pistol, if it fits your hand. (I got away from Glocks due to fit problems; the better concealment was a bonus.) Having a spare weapon that uses the same magazines and holsters as one's primary weapon is a good idea. I had a spare G22, just as I now have spare P229 pistols.

I am sure you would find some use for a G26. OTOH, my attempt to replace a snubby with a G27 did not work so well; I went back to using the long-familiar snubby for ankle and pocket carry.

FWIW, I live in your area, so the climate is the same. I am 6' tall, and wear pants sized 31" to 32" in the waist

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by can2boy View Post
    not much difference in size! i had the same dilemma, so i did what most "gunaholics" would do.........
    Your photos can be used to make either point. Overall height and width do seem the same, but then, that big, honking, rear-protruding slide on the Glock is a BIG deal when trying to conceal a weapon, or when trying to draw the weapon from something like a pocket. I see the comparison photos as strongly favoring the snubby, for concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Your photos can be used to make either point. Overall height and width do seem the same, but then, that big, honking, rear-protruding slide on the Glock is a BIG deal when trying to conceal a weapon, or when trying to draw the weapon from something like a pocket. I see the comparison photos as strongly favoring the snubby, for concealment.
    good point. the "poll" was just for fun. but getting others experience is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    that big, honking, rear-protruding slide on the Glock is a BIG deal when trying to conceal a weapon, or when trying to draw the weapon from something like a pocket.
    So very true.

That big right angle is indeed the biggest difference in concealment between the two, especially when appendix carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    So very true.

That big right angle is indeed the biggest difference in concealment between the two, especially when appendix carrying.
    That big right angle on a sub-compact Glock is not a problem for me when carried IWB in a good holster. I cant imagine pocket carrying as the Glock is just to big for that IMO.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

good point rexster. i'm too small of a guy to pocket carry a 26 or a j frame i tried the j frame and it looks like i have a banana in my pocket. LOL. IWB @ 4o'clock is right for me.
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    That big right angle on a sub-compact Glock is not a problem for me when carried IWB in a good holster. I cant imagine pocket carrying as the Glock is just to big for that IMO.

It’s not a problem; it is just the most noticeable difference.

Pocket carry is out of the question for me too cause I wear jeans that aren’t loose enough.

Ruger LCR Light, reliable, easily carried.

I think this may have been mentioned, but there are 9mm snubbies out there

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I vote for a Snubbie.... you already have a Glock, time for a change of scenery everyone needs a snubbie...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I bought a pocket holster today for my Taurus 709 slim and it fits very comfortable. To me it's the perfect compromise. Then buy the G26, then the snubby, then..........

I have a 642 and a M38 snub. I carry them both depending on the situation. At work when I must sit and conceal 100% I carry the M38. Due to shape it is easier to conceal in a pocket. If I am able to go with shirt untucked I carry the 26. I will carry the 26 in a smartcarry if I feel the need but the M38 is easier do to shape.

My opinion is that if you are going to rely on one pistol, the G 26 would be a great choois as you could carry it with on 10 rnd mag, and a second 19 mag on your person as oposed to just 5 with the airweight. But for a second gun, or one "just to run to the store with" the airweight would serve this purpose well.

Every one should have at least one snubbie.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I'd probably go with the snubbie because I tend to shoot better with revolvers than I do with Glocks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links