Glock 26 vs Glock 27

This is a discussion on Glock 26 vs Glock 27 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The difference, my friend, is 1...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glock 26 vs Glock 27

The difference, my friend, is 1

2. Remove Ads

My personal opinion; in small ,compact, concealed carry guns, the 9mm really shines.

Easy to control for accurate & rapid multiple shots. When moving, when shooting at a moving threat, when having to use your strong hand or weak hand only, etc.....

My choice would be a Glock 26. (Actually my choice is the Glock 19; my wife's is the Glock 26 ).

I also really like the S&W M&P 9mmC (maybe even a little better than the 26).
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    I bought the 26 due to ammo price and capacity. If you can swap for 9mm parts in a 27, that may be the ticket though.
    You can't use the G26 barrel, but you need a conversion barrel, of which there are at least 3 or 4 different makes. They run from $99 to around $150. The standard G26 mags work or I imagine any of the 9mm then would work.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    If I am not mistaken to really get a full 9mm conversion you should also change the extractor because it is setup essentially to extract a .40SW casing and the depth is not the same as 9mm exactly so reliability might not truly be 100%. Is this not correct?
    I imagine that's true, but I only use the 9mm for cheaper range work. Reliability isn't a big factor, although it hasn't malfunctioned yet.

If it is purchase, without testing, 9mm. 9mm has greater capacity. 9mm has the +P option.

Quote Originally Posted by chrise2004 View Post
    Get the G27 and then buy a Storm Lake 9mm barrel for it for $125 then you have 2 guns in 1. That's what I did and I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Glock 27 and a 9mm Lonewolf barrel for $99.00. Thats the way to go. Plus 9mm magazines of course.
    FYI...there are only partially true statements. To be a true SD ready firearm, you need to change more than the barrel and mag.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    When you get home see if you can find a place that rents them, and give them a side by side test.

I personally can't tell that much difference. So I went with the .40 cal.
    +1

It is odd, but sometimes the recoil between say 9mm and .40 S&W comes down to personal prefrence, as there is a snap issue. IMHO, there are many factors, and only one is strength. Hand size, for eample, can be far more important, depending. Some recoil is push up, others push back.

You really need to rent each, and compare side by side. 80% of the time, this will tell you what you need to know.

PS - for practice, the advantage arms .22 LR upper conversion is a good buy.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I had this same back and forth debate with myself late last year, the 26 or the 27. Here was my line of thought. I really was leaning towards the 26 because of less expensive practice ammo and better availability. With the new hot +p stuff out I wasn't concerned about the self-protection stopping power. My thinking on the 27 was well I already have lot's of .40 cal ammo, I can buy the neccessary parts to convert back to 9mm (26) and have the best of both, right? Maybe, but I already have a great .40 that is plenty hungry. I don't want to spend my time messing around converting back and forth. So I settled on my great 26, and glad I did! It's just a fine shooter and carrys well for me.

Not that it would be a problem, but I didn't want to have a possible reliability issue switching back and forth. Heck save your money and get them both! Me? I'm going to get a G19 next. Good luck with your choice's..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Either would be a winner for you, but I'd prefer the 9mm G-26.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Backordered

They're all pretty hard to get hold of.
    Those scherer mags suck. I havent heard any reports of those being reliable. But there are Victory 31 round korean mags available for the 40 glock. I have one myself from botach tactical. Only 12 dollars each plus shipping. I havent shot mine yet, just got it but ive heard they work well, and theres a video review or two on youtube. I have a glock 27. When i test it out, if i like it ill order another.

VIP Member
    Get a G26 and it will be flawless. G27's are the only Glock's I have personally seen KABOOM.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I've owned both the G26 and G27 and my most recent swap was back to the G27. Why? Because there have been several shootings in our area and across the nation that might be construed as 9mm 'issues' in putting the intended target down for good.

Personally, I can shoot the G27 as accurately and quickly as the G26 and now that I know what I can do with either gun, I'll plan to shoot the G27 in IDPA and IPSC competitions once or twice a month and the difference in ammo costs per year will be less than a Starbuck's latte per week (not that I actually drink those).

I went from a G26 and G34 combination to a G27 and G35 combination over the last couple months and I'm climbing to the top of the leader board in my competitive shooting, so I'm happy. And, when it comes to self defense, I just feel slightly better about 180 grains of Federal HTP rounds than 124 grains of the same cartridge. Penetration being about equal, I like the larger wound channel of the .40 caliber.

Ultimately, you have to place the shots where they count, and only practice will give you that edge (along with situational awareness).

Good luck in your decision.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Glad you found what you are looking for!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links