Glock 26 vs Glock 27

Glock 26 vs Glock 27

This is a discussion on Glock 26 vs Glock 27 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently shopping for a new sub compact for CC once I get back from Afghanistan. I love the glock line, and have shot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 vs Glock 27

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Glock 26 vs Glock 27

I am currently shopping for a new sub compact for CC once I get back from Afghanistan. I love the glock line, and have shot a lot of different models that they have to offer except the sub compact models. My only concern between the G26/27 is the recoil of the bigger .40 cal. I would gladly give up the bigger bullet for a better shot group that can possibly be had with the smaller 9mm. I would like the bigger caliber if it can be controlled well so I can make them 2nd, 3rd + shots if needed. My intention is to be proficitent with the pistol as it is built, without using any sort of extra extender for the magazine. I'm just wondering how much more recoil the .40 has over the 9mm when firing the gun without using the pinky. Just trying to get some sort of a gauge before I am able to put some rounds down range with them.

When you get home see if you can find a place that rents them, and give em a side by side test.

I personally can't tell that much difference. So I went with the .40 cal.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Both are same in size. I found the .40 a bit snappier with the recoil, but controllable. I'm faster with the G26 and 9mm, probably because I shoot it more often. 9 mm ammo is cheaper

I dont have a mag extender on my G27. I wrap my pinky under the mag. I find it very easy to control. I can shoot a 3 inch group center mass at 7 yards no problem. I can shoot multiple mags with no hand pain. Ill take the .40 over the 9mm anyday.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

go with the .40 if that's what you want. Just adapt to it.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Wormy is right on.
    +1
    I've owned both. My son took the G26. The 27 is obviously a bit more recoil, but not bad. Shooting both before you buy is always good. Considering all factors- I like the .40 power better.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

evo
    Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Both are same in size. I found the .40 a bit snappier with the recoil, but controllable. I'm faster with the G26 and 9mm, probably because I shoot it more often. 9 mm ammo is cheaper
    The exact reason why I went with the 26. And I haven't regret it a second.
    Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

Just call this a .40 vs 9mm thread so we can all avoid it

Has anyone mentioned with the G27 you can get a 9mm barrel or .357 sig and have three guns in one? Cant do that with the G26.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I personally can't tell that much difference. So I went with the .40 cal.
    I also have fired both the 26 and the 27, and even having fired the 26 thousands of times couldn't really tell the difference when I fired the 27.

I personally went with the 26 for the extra round of capacity and lower practice ammo cost.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    I got a 26 because I already had a 19 and wanted to use the 19 mags as spares and 9mm ammo was easier to find. I still plan getting a 23 and 27, since I don't have anything in .40. I've shot a friend's 27 quite a bit and the recoil difference is negligible.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Don't ignore the differences in ammo. You can get a hot 9mm that will approximate the 40 in energy, or you can get a light 40 load that will approximate the 9mm in recoil.

Personally I have a G26 which I love. I do have the extended mag with the 12 rounds which makes me feel safer. I know, that's bull but I do.

I also have a G23 and on it the recoil is very manageable. The G27 is only slightly lighter and smaller.

If I had to do it over I'd go with the G27. In fact, I am contemplating getting one. Maybe I'll end up with all the Glocks, if I'm lucky.

I have the 27 myself, but did get a 9mm barrel and mags. I just shot both, one after the other, and there is a slight bit more recoil to the .40, but not enough to concern yourself with. Like said, Federal makes a 135 grain, low recoil self defense round for the .40, or get a hot 124 gr. for the 9mm. Not a whole lotta difference. I like the ability of going up to 180 grain with the .40 if I want to. A company called Gap makes a flush floor plate for the 26 & 27 mags that has a small extension, only going foward, so it does'nt make the gun any bigger. I have'nt tried them yet, but it looks like it gives you a better grip than without them. Hope this helps..
    P.S. It took all of 15 seconds to swap from .40 to 9mm
    Last edited by boatail; March 28th, 2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: add a p.s.

I bought the 26 due to ammo price and capacity. If you can swap for 9mm parts in a 27, that may be the ticket though.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

I carry a 27 off-duty. I used to have a 26 as an off-duty with my previous dept. The difference in recoil is minimal IMO. I am able to dump 10 rounds rather quickly into a 10" target at 7 yards with my 27. My dept issues Fed Hydra-shok in 165gr.

However, when I retire and must purchase my own ammo, I may consider getting another 26. I'll have to see what my financial situation is at the time.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links