Which snubbie

This is a discussion on Which snubbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you are looking used, you can definitely get a Taurus cheaper than an equivalent S&W, and there's a reason for it. The S&W snubs, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which snubbie

VIP Member
    If you are looking used, you can definitely get a Taurus cheaper than an equivalent S&W, and there's a reason for it. The S&W snubs, especially the 442/642 are the "Gold Standard" in small revolvers. At 15 ounces, the J-frame 442 or 642, 5-shot, 38+P, hammerless revolvers, disappear in your pocket, can be drawn without snagging and are probably one of the most carried concealed carry guns around.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

How are the quality of the Taurus 85s? What makes the Smith better? I would assume the trigger is nicer.

I have the S&W 637, I like the hammer approach.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    First off - yes, a K-frame really too big for pocket carry.

Next - the hammerless or shrouded-hammer guns are ideal for pocket carry, as the hammer spur is either absent or shielded from snagging on anything. In the S+W line, those are the Centennial (442, 642) and Bodyguard (438, 638) series.

The all-steel snubbies run around 22 ounces, which feels good in the hand but is kind of a heavy lump in the pocket. At the other end of the spectrum are the ultra-light titanium and scandium-alloy models which come in at around 12 ounces. These are a handful even with mild .38s. The snub I have which suits me fine is a Taurus 851SSUL, which is a J-frame Bodyguard knockoff and weighs 15 ounces unloaded. I've had good luck with Tauruses (Tauri?) - 2 snubs and a 9mm Millennium, and two were chosen as economical alternatives to pricier guns. The last - the 851 - had a better trigger than any S+W in the store that day, and the lower cost was just a bonus.

The Colt Detective Special are just a tad larger than the J-frames and hold 6 rounds vs. 5. These are great guns, but they've been out of production for a long time now and are becoming scarce. Even ratty-looking examples are going for over $350 on the auction sites now. If you find a clean one that locks up tight and the price is right, go for it, but I think there are wider pickings among the other brands.

For chambering, .38 is plenty adequate with the right ammo, especially with the +P rounds.
    +1. I have the 442 and it's a great summer carry gun. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go 438 Bodyguard. I've got an old model 49 (steel) Bodyguard and it's sweet.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The 442 is the best allaround model...I think i would try to seek out a nice ( no longer made) 342, scandium frame and titanium cylinder .38 +p.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowdenknxvll View Post
    How are the quality of the Taurus 85s? What makes the Smith better? I would assume the trigger is nicer.
    I own two Taurus snubs, a basic 85 in stainless, and a shrouded 851 "Ultralite." I loaned the former to a friend who used it for a Michael deBethencourt class when his S+W 340 went TU. The M85 is a 1992-vintage gun which has over 5000 rounds through it. The trigger isn't the best, but it's OK for the bad-breath distances for which it is intended. The 851, as I noted in an previous post in this thread, had a markedly better trigger pull (both double action and single action) than three other S+W snubs I tried at that gun store that day. Price was not a limiting factor when I bought.

However: Taurus sells to a price point, and I fully understand that I may just have been lucky with the snubs I got. The market would not tolerate Smith & Wesson's substantially higher prices for long if the value was not there.

A highly-respected gunsmith who specializes in revolvers, Grant Cunningham, won't work on Tauruses. Follow this link to read why: Why I don't work on Taurus revolvers | Revolvers, Gunsmithing, Personal opinions | GrantCunningham.com

Read, digest, and draw your own conclusions.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Snubbie

Ruger SP-101 in .357 magnum. A tank of a snubnose. Not that bad to tote around if you get the right leather to pack it and dress appropriately.
    "A voyage in search for knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

The Colt DS is really the upper limit in pocket carry. For big pockets it is fine but for a lot of jeans and slacks it is just a tad too big. I can carry it in about half of my slacks. The SP101 seems to fit everything I wear with factory stocks. I have Trausch stocks on mine and that does cut down on which slacks I wear as well.

bosco

S&W Model 642 or 442. I just got a 642 myself for summer carry in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster. Love it! I personally am a Smith fan. Have had 3 other ones for years and love em. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Here is the one I use. Great if you need to pocket carry. S&W 438.
    Product: Model 438 Bodyguard

+1 for the 442. i own a det special and still prefer the 442....jmo

I'd go with a S&W steel j-frame. But the Colt wouldn't be a bad choice either

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    I like the Smith J-frame Airweights. I always have pocket carried, so the weight makes a difference for me.

Taurus Ultra Light. Mine weighs 12 ounces loaded. Trigger is where I would like to get my S&W mod 60. Throw it in front pocket and no biggey. Ankle holster won't even know it's there.

Ruger -lcr

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links