Which snubbie

This is a discussion on Which snubbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Go for the Ruger LCR and the improved accuracy that a lighter trigger will give you. Don't you just love the business end view of ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which snubbie

Go for the Ruger LCR and the improved accuracy that a lighter trigger will give you.

Don't you just love the business end view of a revolver?
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Another fan for the 638 here. 438 as well. The Hump Back is a fine little carry. Never win a beauty contest. Seems like there's a lot of 442/642 fans out there. I've looked at the Ruger LCR. One thing strange. I tried the trigger on 2 of them, side by side at the shop....different trigger between the two. Obvious difference in the two and I found that ..... unsettling.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Smith 642.
    Stock, it is exc.
    I added Crimson Trace grips yrs after getting the gun, when the NRA Instructor deal was made available.
    NRA,GOAL,CMP,GCA,USCCA
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, iTP, AMK
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

VIP Member
    I have a smith mod 60 j-frame and a colt DS, both are great carry revovlers, I usually carry them IWB and not pocket, they both disappear no problem.

I love my 642! Trigger left something to be desired but that was a quick fix with a wilson combat trigger job and now I cant imagine having any other .38
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowdenknxvll View Post
    How are the quality of the Taurus 85s? What makes the Smith better? I would assume the trigger is nicer.
    I have a Taurus 85

I love mines and never had a problem with it. It has one hell of a DA trigger pull but if does the job very well. I paid $298.00 for it brand new and never looked back.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    My favorite is the steel J frame, which is now my Model 36....weighs more than an aluminum, but the few ounces more do not bother me at all.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Another vote for the 638/438, although I sometimes carry my Colt DS. With the 638 you forget it's in your pocket.

Throwing another vote on the 642 pile.

My S&W Model 60 is what I choose. I love Stainless steel.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I also give a thumbs up on the LCR. It is my primary carry now that the weather has started to get warmer. I've put several hundred rounds through, with nary a problem. It eats any brand without discrimination. No jamming, no fouling.

Ruger got it right with this little one.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I have carried a 5 shot .357 and a PF9 in my pockets. But, I don't need to do that if I have a t-shirt on... as anything I carry will be covered, or I will wear a belly band or carry shirt underneath.

If anyone gave me a feather-weight or airlight anything, I'ld throw it in the trash. I hate those guns and the recoil that comes with them.

Why not buy a .357, if you only put .38's in it ? You double your potential for buyers if you ever decide to sell it. I won't buy a .38, but if you had a .357... I wouldn't care if you shot .38's in it when considering buying it.

I carried a Taurus Ultralight 38 loaded with +p in my pocket while working on the railroad. I had to show it to a few hobos on several occasions before they would leave me alone. I still carry it in my pocket from time to time.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    #1; S&W 642 without the lock and then get a trigger job
    #2 Ruger LCR; does have a nice trigger but is slightly larger/bulkyer; however, I suspect it'll recoil worse (slightly) than the 642 but that's just a hunch, I've never fired an LCR

If you're really tight on cash you can take a BIG step down to Taurus, and then you have Charter Arms.

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    #1; S&W 642 without the lock and then get a trigger job
    #2 Ruger LCR; does have a nice trigger but is slightly larger/bulkyer; however, I suspect it'll recoil worse (slightly) than the 642 but that's just a hunch, I've never fired an LCR

If you're really tight on cash you can take a BIG step down to Taurus, and then you have Charter Arms.

Gideon

I have S&W's and Taurus revolvers and I shoot and carry them both. Step down is not found. When people make baseless claims, I usually ask them to post up some facts backing those claims.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links