Which snubbie

Which snubbie

This is a discussion on Which snubbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to get something for summer carry in a tshirt and cargo shorts. I am not looking for something fancy and would prefer ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which snubbie

Which snubbie

I am looking to get something for summer carry in a tshirt and cargo shorts. I am not looking for something fancy and would prefer something used. I am not real familiar with all the different S&W models of the past so I need some help. I take good care of my weapons so stainless is not necessary. I have been looking at the model 10 which I think is a K frame(too big?) and the model 36. I have also seen some Colt Detective specials around. I will probably carry with .38 so .357 is not necessary. Which model have you found to be the easiest to carry?

I like the Smith J-frame Airweights. I always have pocket carried, so the weight makes a difference for me.

First off - yes, a K-frame really too big for pocket carry.

Next - the hammerless or shrouded-hammer guns are ideal for pocket carry, as the hammer spur is either absent or shielded from snagging on anything. In the S+W line, those are the Centennial (442, 642) and Bodyguard (438, 638) series.

The all-steel snubbies run around 22 ounces, which feels good in the hand but is kind of a heavy lump in the pocket. At the other end of the spectrum are the ultra-light titanium and scandium-alloy models which come in at around 12 ounces. These are a handful even with mild .38s. The snub I have which suits me fine is a Taurus 851SSUL, which is a J-frame Bodyguard knockoff and weighs 15 ounces unloaded. I've had good luck with Tauruses (Tauri?) - 2 snubs and a 9mm Millennium, and two were chosen as economical alternatives to pricier guns. The last - the 851 - had a better trigger than any S+W in the store that day, and the lower cost was just a bonus.

The Colt Detective Special are just a tad larger than the J-frames and hold 6 rounds vs. 5. These are great guns, but they've been out of production for a long time now and are becoming scarce. Even ratty-looking examples are going for over $350 on the auction sites now. If you find a clean one that locks up tight and the price is right, go for it, but I think there are wider pickings among the other brands.

For chambering, .38 is plenty adequate with the right ammo, especially with the +P rounds.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I agree with most of what gasmitty says. The little extra weight of the all steel J frames doesn't really bother me so I have been happy with my Colt DS, S&W M49 and 640-1. I was looking at the Taurus 851SSUL the other day liked what I saw since a good condition S&W M38 is fairly pricey; given what gasmitty said about his Taurus trigger I will have to look closer at the 851.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I love my Smithy 638. GREAT gun!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I think any of the Airweight S&W J frames would be your best choice.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

If you have the money, the S&W 340PD (loaded with .38s not .357s) is the best in all-around versatility, IMO. However, the airweights and steel J-Frames are significantly cheaper and also excellent. I'm a bit of a S&W purist, though plenty of people I respect insist that Taurus is every bit as good.

IMO best one on the market right now is the Ruger LCR best trigger by far including the Smiths out of the box. After that one id go Smith then Taurus for a cost effective alternative if cost is a matter. but right now if you gave me the option of the LCR or the Smith and I could pick either id take the LCR..better trigger.

I sold a 638 don't think i will ever forgive myself. If you get a chance pick one up.

You can't go wrong with a S&W Airweight J-frame. Personally, I prefer the hammerless model snubbies. There is a reason it is S&W's best seller.

I have the 442 and the LCR, both fine little pieces.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

s&w j-frame is the first then the ruger lcr would be my second.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

My buddy and I had to travel through a rough
    area the other evening. He had a Kahr 9mm
    it was pretty small and easy to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowdenknxvll View Post
    I am looking to get something for summer carry in a tshirt and cargo shorts. I am not looking for something fancy and would prefer something used. I am not real familiar with all the different S&W models of the past so I need some help. I take good care of my weapons so stainless is not necessary. I have been looking at the model 10 which I think is a K frame(too big?) and the model 36. I have also seen some Colt Detective specials around. I will probably carry with .38 so .357 is not necessary. Which model have you found to be the easiest to carry?
    Hi, Chris. I recommend the Smith & Wesson 442. Colts are pretty, and all, but Smith makes the most useful revolvers.

You can;t go wrong with S&W 642 My edc.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links