If you had a "go to" pistol what would it be?

This is a discussion on If you had a "go to" pistol what would it be? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been going over some scenarios in my head. I carry a G23, love it. I also have a G17, a Dan Wesson 1911, an ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had a "go to" pistol what would it be?

I've been going over some scenarios in my head. I carry a G23, love it. I also have a G17, a Dan Wesson 1911, an HK P30, an HK45, and a Sig P226 Navy 9mm.

I've decided that I'd either use my Sig or my G23 as my "go to" gun, leaving the rest as range toys. Although I do keep the 1911 loaded up sometimes. The question is, which would you use as your go to gun for like a natural disaster (I'm in a hurricane zone) or when you need to have a firearm with you around the house (not CCW). I love shooting the Sig and am somewhat partial to it. Does anyone have any thoughts? Maybe some examples of what you do between CCW and what you use around the house or whatnot? I'm sure either one would be very serviceable for my needs. I guess I want to give my Sig some love time at my side as well. Am I thinking wrong and should just use my G23 all the time?

Interested to know what you all do when you have multiple firearms that are equally suited for defensive roles.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    I'm with you, my Sig P220 is my go to gun.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Boy I wish I had hopped on a Sig P220 when I had the opportunity to get one with 50 rounds through it for $750. Instead I had to fix my car lol.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I have a Sig P229 .357sig and it would be my "Go to gun" in a "crisis situation" Also, if needed I could swap out the barrel for a .40S&W or a 9mm and have a very nice range of caliber options if ammo got hard to come by.

Man that is hard to say. The Glock is ultra reliable. I have a G-23 and it is flawless. Goes bang every time and is easy to care for.

And with that said, the SIG is one in which everyone who owns one think there's nothing better. But having never owned or shot one, I can not say. However, a SIG is on my short list for sure. I really want one bad.

If you have both... which you do, and you favor the SIG Navy... Then that is the one I'd choose. Although, you probably agree, it's a toss up.

For me... since I don't have a SIG to choose from, my "go to" gun is the G-23.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Had to think about this one for a minute...my EDC is a Glock 27, with my Ruger LCP as an alternative. If I'm out for a shorter period of time, I'll carry my Springfield XD compact .45, (I carry it less due to weight). I also have a Glock 19 I bought just a few weeks ago and have not yet received my order of Speer Gold Dot carry ammo.

I think when it comes down to choosing only one sidearm for natural disaster or "lawless" home protection it would be either the XD or my Glock 22...backed up by the Stag AR M4 of course.
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Man that is hard to say. The Glock is ultra reliable. I have a G-23 and it is flawless. Goes bang every time and is easy to care for.

And with that said, the SIG is one in which everyone who owns one think there's nothing better. But having never owned or shot one, I can not say. However, a SIG is on my short list for sure. I really want one bad.

If you have both... which you do, and you favor the SIG Navy... Then that is the one I'd choose. Although, you probably agree, it's a toss up.

For me... since I don't have a SIG to choose from, my "go to" gun is the G-23.
    I don't view it like that but I do have a soft spot for the Sig and how it shoots for me. I love my G23 for CCW because it's IMO the perfect compromise of size, weight, extreme reliability, and ammo capacity in a .40SW. However there is a sweet spot I have for the SIG that I can't shake off. I have a more expensive and finer weapon in my 1911 but I don't view my 1911 as a combat pistol.

Basically my G23 is my always CCW gun and I'm deciding between that or my Sig for the gun I carry around the house when things go bad in the area. We've been lucky so far but we've also had a more active crime scene in my neighborhood the past year. I am somewhat cautious about the upcoming hurricane season if we get a storm that knocks out power for a period of time. The issue of 9mm vs .40SW quite frankly is a non issue in my mind. Swap my G23 for a G19 and I'd be happy. I just wanted the versatility of the G23 being able to switch to .357sig or 9mm quickly.
    -Thomas Jefferson

If we aren't talking concealed I'd have to go with my Mark 23. I have never had an issue with the gun, I can feed it anything and it'll gulp it down and greedily ask for more. I love my 1911's (Dan Wesson and some Kimbers are close second) but the fact the H&K holds more rounds means I can carry less mags but still have more ammo than if I went with the 1911. So in a natural disaster that'd be a deciding factor. The .45 is also a large enough round to handle the tiny black bears we see here, so I'd be pretty safe from all life forms in the state.

Also like the G23

Like you, I am very partial to the Glock 23, and view it as my main carry for serious purposes. I do own 4 Sigs, put mainly view them as range guns. I also own a Glock 19 but use that also for range use. I also own several 1911s and use them for range use, but don't carry them.

I think the reasons I tend to favor the G23 include:

- Same trigger pull every shot.
    - Extreme reliabilty with the Glocks.
    - Smooth contours, low bore axis.
    - Great capacity.
    - Conviced that .40 caliber is just as effective as .45.

I do sometimes carry two other small guns, both double action only and similar to the Glock 23. These are a Kahr MK9 and a S&W model 642 5 shot .38 snubbie. The Kahr has been very reliable for me and extremely concealble in a Comp - Tac IWB appendix holster - the gun doesn't show at all and is much smaller than the Glock. And the S&W 642 is also almost invisible in a pocket holster and hides very well when the Glock is two large.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Depends on which XD I get to first, the 9sc or the .40 service.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Sig P220.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Currently, the USP .40. I'm thinking of trading for a G17, though. It might be nicer to keep everything in the same platform and caliber...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Currently, the USP .40. I'm thinking of trading for a G17, though. It might be nicer to keep everything in the same platform and caliber...
    You'll regret it. You'll be happy for awhile, then you'll think back fondly on a particular trip the range with the gun. Eventually you'll be back in the shop looking for another, because suddenly you feel incomplete without it.

At least that's how it's been for every gun I have ever sold. It's easier to say goodbye to a girlfriend than it is a dependable firearm.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Heh, yeah, I will probably end up just waiting until I can afford to have both.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Glock 19 all the way for me
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links