Charter Arms Off Duty DAO opinions

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Off Duty DAO opinions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has decided that she would really like a 5 shot .38 to pocket carry in the summer months. I am completely OK with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms Off Duty DAO opinions

My wife has decided that she would really like a 5 shot .38 to pocket carry in the summer months. I am completely OK with this of course, she usually carries an XD .40 sub compact but she says that because of how her hips are shaped the grip tends to dig into her side and she can stand it for a little while but after a couple of hours it starts to hurt. (I understand that a lot of women have this problem.)

So we have been looking and since money isn't exactly falling out of the sky or bubbling up from a hole in the back yard right now, the Charter Arms Off Duty DAO looks pretty appealing.

I have heard some very favorable things about the current iteration of Charter Arms and I was wondering if any of the members here have one of these or any of the current production Charter guns. If so, I'd really like to hear from you as to your opinion of the guns and how they shoot.

Charter Off Duty #53811
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Apparently there are holsters designed to accommodate this issue. Ones made for women's unique contours.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Apparently there are holsters designed to accommodate this issue. Ones made for women's unique contours.
    Do you or anyone else know a link for said holsters?? Lima, do you know any solutions for this problem?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

A bunch of stuff comes up from a Google search.

This read pretty well. The Right Guns, Holsters And Ammo For Women | Shooting Industry | Find Articles at BNET
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

gtv
    My father-in-law has a Charter Arms Off-Duty, which I have shot, and it seems to be a well-made revolver. The model he has is about four years old, I believe. The trigger pull is heavy, especially compared to our new LCR, but not much heavier than my Kel-Tec PF9. The Off-Duty feels good in the hand, and recoil is quite manageable (although I have not put any really hot +Ps through it).
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

What I've read about them has been positive but they don't seem to be very common. I've owned a couple of Charte Arms revolvers and never had a problem with them. Certainly it's the best priced 12oz .38 around.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Charter Arms is no where near the quality of S&W or post recall Ruger.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Charter Arms is no where near the quality of S&W or post recall Ruger.
    They will work fine.

They are more in line like a tarus

Mike, a Detective buddy of mine carries the Bodyguard
    every where while off duty.
    He tells me he carries it a lot and shoots it very little, just enough
    to keep proficient.

BTW I carry a Taurus 85ul and love the light wait-ness of the revolver
    I stoke it with +P and practice with std. pressure rounds.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I just bought a Charter Arms undercover and a Charter Arms off duty this week-end. Wife wanted something light, and I was not gonna be left out. The off duty is an alum. frame with internal hammer. Undercover is SS with external exposed hammer. I'm gonna put'um through a work out this week-end if its nice out. Gave the wife the off-duty...only 12oz unloaded. CA is American made, has lifetime warrenty, and is priced right...... I'll see how they shoot........
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Mike,

I bought a CA Off-Duty DAO for my Mom for Christmas. We haven't had it out to shoot it yet (she lives a couple hundred miles away), so all I can offer is a subjective opinion:

It's a very nicely-made gun, extremely light (obviously) and has a silky-smooth action. Not a Colt (my benchmark is the Python ), but much better than anything else I've handled at anything less than twice the price. I've had a Stainless CA Undercover for 20 years or better, and have never had the slightest complaint with it. I think the Off-Duty is probably the best value in a CCW .38 out there!

I'll let you know more when we've shot it.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ibesarcasm View Post
    Gave the wife the off-duty...only 12oz unloaded.
    You might want to reconsider giving the wife the lighter gun. Have you ever shot an equivalent revolver (IE S&W Airweight/Airlite)? I have and I'll tell you that a standard .38 spl target load (non +P) was every bit as harsh as a .357 mag from my M60. If the gun is unpleasant to shoot...she probably won't want to any more after the first shot. You should carry the light gun and let the weight of the heavier gun tame the recoil for your wife. Now, maybe I'm wrong and your wife will be comfortable with the light gun, most women (and some guys I know) would not be. All I know is that after I shot the S&W, I wouldn't have an ultra-light revolver of any kind. I can recover faster for a follow up shot much better with a SS gun. I was just looking into the Charter Southpaw, but when I read that it too is aluminum and polymer, it is no longer a consideration. Just for the record, I mostly shoot and love my .357's and one .44 Flattop. However, I am on the list at my local gun store to pick up a Charter Target Pathfinder Combo in 22lr/22mag.

P.S.
    Good job on supporting the American Brands!

Ceapea

Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    You might want to reconsider giving the wife the lighter gun. Have you ever shot an equivalent revolver (IE S&W Airweight/Airlite)? I have and I'll tell you that a standard .38 spl target load (non +P) was every bit as harsh as a .357 mag from my M60. If the gun is unpleasant to shoot...she probably won't want to any more after the first shot. You should carry the light gun and let the weight of the heavier gun tame the recoil for your wife. Now, maybe I'm wrong and your wife will be comfortable with the light gun, most women (and some guys I know) would not be. All I know is that after I shot the S&W, I wouldn't have an ultra-light revolver of any kind. I can recover faster for a follow up shot much better with a SS gun. I was just looking into the Charter Southpaw, but when I read that it too is aluminum and polymer, it is no longer a consideration. Just for the record, I mostly shoot and love my .357's and one .44 Flattop. However, I am on the list at my local gun store to pick up a Charter Target Pathfinder Combo in 22lr/22mag.

P.S.
    Good job on supporting the American Brands!

Ceapea
    Naw....she'll be OK..... shes grown up shooting a lot bigger and alot harsher weapons..... she does complain that the grip it comes with is too small..... there are two different grips these guns come with, and both of these have the smaller grip that your pinky curls under. She held one with the longer grip and liked it, so I'm looking at a set of Pachmyar grips for hers.... I like the smaller grips cause it fits in my pocket better.

Also, keep in mind, these are not our standard shooting guns, just a small weapon we can slip in our pockets when we run around. I would expect we'd never shoot them more than 10-20 yds. I like to think of them more as an up-close belly gun..... and if someone is that close.....we'll never feel the recoil.
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

I picked up a new Charter Arms “On Duty” a couple of weeks ago. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet but I got a set of snap caps for it and have dry fired it a ton. The trigger pull smoothed out very nicely and it is as good as the older Smith and Wesson I used to have. The fit and finish is not as nice as the top end revolvers but mine is as nice as the current Taurus and Rossi revolvers I have handled. Mine has the larger rubber grips and they fit me perfectly. It rides in a pocket holster great at only 15- 16 oz loaded, and the shrouded hammer lets it draw smoothly. The cylinder gap is a little big at just about .008 but the timing seems right. I will do a full range report when I get a chance to take it out.

Ok.... Range Report........

Worked both triggers for a cpl hours while watching TV the night before I took both out. The Off duty DAO with the internal trigger REALLY smoothed out nicely! Much more than my SS undercover DAO with bobbed hammer, but mine still smothed out pretty well. Both were a little "gritty" at first. Only ran about 100 rounds through.....50 each....it was really windy, but wanted to see how they functioned. MO is that they shoot very nice. A little harder to aim at 25yds because of the sites, so we shot high......maybe 8" at 25yds. Should not be a problem for a small belly gun though. After carrying 8-12 rounds in a full size, 5 rounds goes VERY quickly, and it will bite into the web of your hand. I can say I shoot the LCP better, but still a fine weapon for the price. Already bought the wife a new purse we are modifing for her pistol. All in all, very pleased with the purchase of both pistols, wont be getting rid of them.

Hope this helps......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links