Used versus new.

Used versus new.

This is a discussion on Used versus new. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Help me understand? There used to be a saying about used cars. Why would I buy someone else's problems. The theory being, you wouldn't trade ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used versus new.

Used versus new.

Help me understand? There used to be a saying about used cars. Why would I buy someone else's problems. The theory being, you wouldn't trade in something you liked and was happy with. Well in my younger years I was one of those who wanted the latest and greatest and bought a new car every two or three years. So I wasn't concerned with the issue.

But with guns there isn't the same latest and greatest issue. Is there?

Why would someone trade a gun unless it had problems, or, it didn't meet the need for which it was designed. For example, since this is a concealed carry forum; If I go into my favorite gun store and he has a G27 used. Why would I buy it? Should I not consider it has a problem. Apparently someone bought it for a concealed weapon and turned around and sold it. Again, why would I buy it. Other than perhaps price? My favorite gun store he prices current, used guns slightly less than new. This is probably a starting point, I would hope.

Can I get your perspectives on used guns? I think I know enough about handguns to recognize most problems, probably not all.

Almost all the handguns I own I've bought used. All my first rifles were used (though handed down from my grandfather, to my father, to me). A quality handgun will outlast the best car. The two are not similar in the least, there's only one thing you should do when purchasing either. Take a look under the hood, when buying a used gun make sure you break it down first and take a look to make sure everything is intact. If the seller won't let you do that then there's a good chance there's something wrong.

People sell guns for a number of reasons, I sold the two glocks I've owned because neither felt right to me. I got one, disliked it and sold it. A year later I kept hearing all the praise, and the newest generation was out so I picked up another and was again not pleased with it. Some people sell them because they didn't know what they were buying. I got my .454 from a guy who wanted a big 'badass' gun. Turns out the big bad gun kicked him in the head and he wanted nothing to do with it, his loss my gain. A lot of people will buy a revolver and upgrade to a semi later on, they'll sell the revolver to fund their new gun. Some people simply have to many guns and need to make room for new ones.

Used guns. Well, if it's a Glock, I'd say it holds it's value more than any other pistol out there. You can make it new again on the internals if need be for around $50 or less depending. Used guns. A lot of folks just try them out when they buy. Some get in the need for cash instead of a pistol. Sometimes we reap the benefits of others' poor decisions. Police trade ins are a very good value on the Glocks as well. Others, I can't say. If you buy a used pistol, we're still here to help in any way we can.

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    Why would someone trade a gun unless it had problems, or, it didn't meet the need for which it was designed. For example, since this is a concealed carry forum; If I go into my favorite gun store and he has a G27 used. Why would I buy it? Should I not consider it has a problem.
    - I don't buy used guns for the exact reasons you mentioned. I don't know why the previous owner sold the gun and I don't think the price is usually a lot lower than a new gun.

That being said, I've sold 3 guns in my life. I sold a North American Arms Guardian .380 because I couldn't get it to feed JHP's reliably. It was 100% perfect with FMJ. I sold a Kel-Tec P32 since I upgraded to a Ruger LCP. I simply didn't need it. It was 100% reliable. I recently sold a Glock 27 to a good friend for very cheap since I upgrade to a Glock 19. It was also 100% reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Police trade ins are a very good value on the Glocks as well. Others, I can't say. If you buy a used pistol, we're still here to help in any way we can.
    Very good point. I've picked up H&K's, Sig's and a few others on police trade in's. Most of them only have minor cosmetic defects, if anything at all. Most commonly it's nothing more than holster wear.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Some people definitely buy before they shoot. The G27 you mentioned might not have fit the original purchasers hands. Or maybe it was his gf's, and they broke up. The problem is you never know. I have less of a problem buying a used gun from the original seller because I can ask these sorts of questions. Buying used from a shop is... well... risky. But, if it is a notably reliable make and model, chances are in my mind, it will treat you right.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I have bought a few used guns. Most of them were safe queens that weren’t used anymore, for example SP101 like new but much cheaper, an MK that was a bug for a cop who ended up getting something smaller and lighter. I know some people are liquidating their inventory due to financial hardships with layoffs and pay cuts. They are not always someone else’s problems.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    There are a number of reasons a person might sell a firearm; in this economy the need to pay a bill comes to mind. Of course, caveat emptor but if you can save some money then great.

For others, the appeal of a private party sale of a firearm is there there is no FFL paperwork. Of course I am not advocating someone buying a firearm who couldn't buy it from a FFL, but there are people out there who prefer that there not be federal paperwork with their firearm purchases on it.

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat...
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    There used to be a saying about used cars. Why would I buy someone else's problems.
    That's true of anything (a) that someone can sell (b) where the true problem can be hidden from immediate view.

Hence, that's true of firearms, since problems evident on the range won't be known until after the sale has been made ... unless, of course, you're purchasing a firearm AT a range and only after having fired a hundred rounds through it.

Why would someone trade a gun unless it had problems, or, it didn't meet the need for which it was designed. [/quote]

It might well not meet the criteria the buyer had in mind.

I've done this many times, myself. My selling it wasn't due to problems or failure of design. In short, it was due to my apparent willingness to purchase sight-unseen and to experiment with firearms that might best be described as "close but no cigar" in terms of my criteria.

Apparently someone bought it for a concealed weapon and turned around and sold it. Again, why would I buy it.
    You might have many reasons. Depends on your criteria.

Assumptions about subterfuge and ulterior motives, though, don't fly in all cases.

I think I know enough about handguns to recognize most problems, probably not all.
    You won't notice a future failure to strike POA. You likely won't notice a poor job of bedding a rifle. You won't notice a crack in the frame or slide unless the crack is visible on the exterior and you catch it. In the case of highly collectible items, you won't notice non-factory parts, necessarily, unless you're highly knowledgeable about the given gun and its parts.

There are any number of issues, I'd think, where a person would be hard-pressed to determine there's a problem at the time of sale.

YMMV. Everyone's different.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    My 870 shotgun is the only used gun that I have but I bought it from the dealer. I had a used kel-tec that with-in 30 days, I had to send it end because of feed problems. After that, I never will buy another used gun again. I ended up getting my kel-tec back after it being out of service for damn near the whole summer (that is why I got the gun in the 1st place). Kel-tec fixed it along with a few other things and about 4 months after I got it back, I sold it to fund my new M&P9c.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    I had a used kel-tec that with-in 30 days, I had to send it end because of feed problems. After that, I never will buy another used gun again.
    Guess what? New guns can have such issues as well. And they often do. Your finding such an issue was unlikely related to it being used.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've purchased tons-o-guns used in my time. Usually they are virtually new. Kinda like the yuppie who has to have a new Harley, then never rides it.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

People trade in guns for all sorts of reasons. I have sold 3 guns so far and each time it was because I bought another gun to better fit my needs. Sold Kahr CW9 when i purchased my Kahr PM9. Sold my Kel-Tec PF9 when i purchased my Glock 19. I'm in the process of selling my Ruger LCR because I have already ordered a S&W M&P 340 to replace it.
    Not everyone sells/trades a gun in because it has problems. I wouldn't hesitate buying a used handgun especially if it is from one of the major manufacturers such as Glock or Sig.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I sold my Glock 17 and 26 during a bump in the financial road. Believe me, I didn't want to as I love all of my Glocks. I kept the 19 (first Glock) and 23 (current duty weapon) at the time. When I had better cash flow I bought a 27 as an off-duty. My current dept uses .40, otherwise I would have bought another 26.

If the difference between new and used is minimal, I would go with the new. However, if you can save a descent amount of money, I wouldn't be concerned with buying used. Ask the owner if you can break down the 27 and give her the once over.

Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

On a Glock, it usually is not an issue, either somebody just didnt like it or needed money, or a "carried a lot shot a little" police trade. Like one of the other posters said break it down look it over...if it looks good it probably is.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links