Improperly Racking the Slide

This is a discussion on Improperly Racking the Slide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I took my girlfriend out for her first time ever shooting a gun today (my Glock 19). She did pretty well but at one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improperly Racking the Slide

Improperly Racking the Slide

So I took my girlfriend out for her first time ever shooting a gun today (my Glock 19). She did pretty well but at one point did not rack the slide by pulling back and releasing it but rather rode it forward, and then after the first shot she had a failure to eject. She could have been limp wristing it as well, as I have shot 400+ rounds through it with no issue. I guess my question is should I chalk this one up to the gun or the new shooter?

And Ram Rod, you can't answer as there will be no "Keep the glock, get rid of the girlfriend" talk here

2. Remove Ads

Shooter

Sounds like the shooter to me. My wife did something similar with my Springfield GI. Went through 200+ rounds with no failures in my hands; she jammed it on the third shot. To this day I've never jammed it. Don't worry, with practice she will get it going just fine.

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    Sounds like the shooter.
    THE ONLY LOVE THAT MONEY CAN BUY IS A DOG

VIP Member
    Most likely the shooter. Simply watch for any more issues. Worry about them if they occur. More instruction for the GF.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I would say in this case it's the shooter
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Get your girlfriend a revolver. I took my wife shooting a few weeks ago and she had problems racking the slide on my G19 and LCP. I noticed she was riding the slide instead of letting it slam forward. That caused a failure to fire with the LCP as the slide stopped about a quarter inch short of fully closed. I noticed she was not comfortable with the pistols so I switched her over to my Ruger SP101 and she shot like a pro. Now the sp101 is "her gun".

I'll answer in the spirit of RamRod...

"You really had to ask that question?" "First time virgin shooter, rode the slide forward when racking the slide and you had a failure to eject? The problem's not the Glock!"

In all seriousness, the problem is likely with the shooter as opposed to the Glock. Work with her more and you shouldn't have any more issues.

If it continues to happen with you as well as your girlfriend, then check the ammo, magazines, and then the Glock. But at this point, it's likely a shooter issue.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I think she's playing you, so you'll take her shooting again
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Shooter. I see it alot in training. What I do is use dummy rounds in the classroom and have them do it by the number
    1. insert mag with the slide closed
    2.Pull slide back until it stops and hold it
    3. Open your hand holding the slide on my count...1......2...3

that USUALLY lets them see the difference. It might take a few times. It's a bit more effective on the range when they get a CLICK instead of a BANG because the pistol didn't go into battery.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Sounds like the GF, at least you'll get to spend more time at the range with her, and if you've got a girl that will go to the range, she's a keeper.

Shooter, fur sur. The slide is designed to be slammed back and to slam forward again. If you ride it either way, you stand a good chance of a misfeed of some sort.

And keep her hands away from the slide. The first time my brother shot my G19 he lost some skin because his hand was in the way of the slide.

She just needs more training. The failure was probably do to her riding the slide forward. The G19 is a good first pistol for a lady or for anyone.

If the gun fired, it chambered well enough. The failure to eject was due to limp wristing. I watched the very same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. I took the same G19 that would not feed, held it with a firm wrist and it cycled every time. Other shooter took it back and it began to fail. Ammo was a little underpowered but couple that with a light hold and that malfed it.

Yours was shooter induced, not how it was chambered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links