learn to shoot what you carry or carry what you shoot the best.

This is a discussion on learn to shoot what you carry or carry what you shoot the best. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to decide if I should learn to shoot my Glock 26 better since its easier to conceal, offers more round count, faster ...

View Poll Results: which should I carry

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll

13 36.11%

23 63.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: learn to shoot what you carry or carry what you shoot the best.

I am trying to decide if I should learn to shoot my Glock 26 better since its easier to conceal, offers more round count, faster reloads, cheaper to shoot etc. or do I carry my S&W model 13 4" k frame. The K frame is concealable and the pistol I shoot the absolute best of any I own. I know that concealing the 13 will be a little harder than the 26. I shoot 38+p in the 13 and I am confident in either round. I shoot the 26 acceptable I can ring steel plates fine. I dont have the resources, time or money to shoot thousands of rounds a week. I do shoot enough to be proficeint with either. I am confident both have been 100% reliable. I am 5'7" 150lbs and find both concealable.I wonder which I should invest in a tuckable holster for and whichever one. I guess my question is in which direction should I focus?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    IMO Carry what you are comfortable with. If you like your 13 but want to move to the 26 then then carry the 13 until you gain confidence with the 26. It shouldn't take thousands of rounds to get comfortable with a CCW. As long as you can draw out and nail a target where you aim at 7 yards you should be ok.

Hope this doesn't turn into a wheel gun vs semi auto debate
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Concealed carry selection should involve assessing of multiple variables. Round count is one. Ease and speed of reloading another. Speed of sending accurate rounds on target still another. I prefer a weapon with some type of night sights because statistics tell us that hours of darkness should be a concern (although there may be plenty of ambient light).

There is nothing wrong with a revolver but in the 21st century you can probably do a little better at addressing the multiple areas of concern that should be considered when carrying.

I would seriously consider a little more practice with the 26 before deciding. And actually if you feel you can carry a 4" model 13 with relative ease, why not a Glock-19?

CC whatever you shoot best & have confidece in ; ) JMO
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    I don't carry anything that I can't shoot. Which one I shoot the best is splitting hairs. Since you're proficient with both, carry what's comforting?

Ahh the beauty of multiple choice. Sometimes I feel like a wheel gun, sometimes I don't.

I think its a matter of I am about to invest in leather and not sure for which one yet. If the 26 I am probably going with CTAC or Crossbreed and if the 13 Im going with the Simply Rugged or Tucker IWB. Man decisions decisions.

I would carry what I am most comfortable with.In your case it would be the model 13.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I would carry what I am most comfortable with.In your case it would be the model 13.
    ^^yup thats what i was thinking...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    Ditto, at least for now, while you practice with the Glock. Once you are equally confident and accurate with both, then choose again.
    I have 4 EDC options and find myself reaching for my K-frame most often, and practicing more with the others.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

If you're about to invest in some leather, I'd carry which ever one you enjoy shooting the most. They are both Glocks so they are fairly similar.

My vote goes to the 13. You're comfortable with it now, which is what's important. Work with the glock and eventually move up to that if it feels comfortable for you, but for now stick with what you know.

I've been shooting and carrying the same 4-inch S&W K-Frame revolver for 35 years now. I never intended to become primarily dedicated to that particular revolver or cartridge but it was the one that was generally on hand whenever things were happening. The other handguns were dedicated for specialized purposes or else were "collectible." Over time this gun became a habit. Extreme familiarity is a confidence-builder.

I'll certainly vote for the Model 13.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Stay with the ancient 13 that you shoot the best of the two weapons. If you're that comfortable with it, the old war horse should serve you fine. I carry a 1911 Commander with my old model 36 as a BUG. With it's Tyler T adapter I can shoot it rather well IMO for an antique revolver that I trust my life with. I used to do alot of IPSC shooting and most of the shooters are spraying and praying as speed is what wins matches. I found my accuracy went down by speeding up with the Beretta Vertec I was using. I now do my own version of tactical shooting on my property and practice/aim for accuracy as that's what will count in a life or death situation. JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I am trying to decide if I should learn to shoot my Glock 26 better since its easier to conceal, offers more round count, faster reloads, cheaper to shoot etc. or do I carry my S&W model 13 4" k frame. The K frame is concealable and the pistol I shoot the absolute best of any I own. I know that concealing the 13 will be a little harder than the 26. I shoot 38+p in the 13 and I am confident in either round. I shoot the 26 acceptable I can ring steel plates fine. I dont have the resources, time or money to shoot thousands of rounds a week. I do shoot enough to be proficeint with either. I am confident both have been 100% reliable. I am 5'7" 150lbs and find both concealable.I wonder which I should invest in a tuckable holster for and whichever one. I guess my question is in which direction should I focus?
    There is you answer...

A great SD carry gun...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

kpw
    I would do both. Carry the 13 and get familiar with the 26. The 26 is a very eay pistol to shoot well with some practice and some pointers from those familiar with them. No flies on the 13 either!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links