Kahr CW45

Kahr CW45

This is a discussion on Kahr CW45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love my PT145 but I have been considering picking something a bit thinner up summer time carry. I like the looks of the CW45. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW45

Kahr CW45

I love my PT145 but I have been considering picking something a bit thinner up summer time carry. I like the looks of the CW45. It's light and flat. Decent capacity. The only thing that scares me is that some of the reviews I've seen on the net have stated problems with the mags dropping out of the CW line. Anyone know if that has been corrected? Hows the recoil? Accuracy?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Rollo,

I have had a CW45 for several months now, and absolutely love it. I did have a problem at first with the magazine occaisionally dropping when firing the gun, but I took it back to the shop and they returned it to Kahr for a warranty repair. Seems they had a batch of magazine latches that were out of spec, and a simple replacement solved the problem. Total turnaround time for the repair was under two weeks, including shipping both ways.

I don't know for sure that the problem has been corrected on all new CW's, but they're obviously aware of the problem, and did a good job of responding when I needed the repair. Since then, it's been 100% reliable and very accurate.

That problem aside, I am 100% sold on the gun. I'm convinced it's the lightest, most comfortable platform out there for CCW in .45ACP (except, of course, possibly the PM45). I recently got a High Noon "Bare Assets" IWB holster for it, and I think the CW45 + the holster make for the best .45 CCW package I could ask for!

Recoil is manageable. It's a little stouter than a full-size 1911, but if you're used to smallish, heavy-caliber guns it's not bad. (I have .357 snubbies and a couple of short-barreled .44 mags, and the CW45 is probably easier on the shooter than either of those).

Hope this helps with your decision.

Best regards,
    Jim
    Last edited by Kilowatt3; March 29th, 2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Add comment re: recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Rollo,

I have had a CW45 for several months now, and absolutely love it. I did have a problem at first with the magazine occaisionally dropping when firing the gun, but I took it back to the shop and they returned it to Kahr for a warranty repair. Seems they had a batch of magazine latches that were out of spec, and a simple replacement solved the problem. Total turnaround time for the repair was under two weeks, including shipping both ways.

I don't know for sure that the problem has been corrected on all new CW's, but they're obviously aware of the problem, and did a good job of responding when I needed the repair. Since then, it's been 100% reliable and very accurate.

That problem aside, I am 100% sold on the gun. I'm convinced it's the lightest, most comfortable platform out there for CCW in .45ACP (except, of course, possibly the PM45). I recently got a High Noon "Bare Assets" IWB holster for it, and I think the CW45 + the holster make for the best .45 CCW package I could ask for!

Hope this helps with your decision.

Best regards,
    Jim
    Thanks for the reply! Hows the recoil? I own 2 .45's (A PT145 and a 1911) and while the pt145 has a bit more recoil then the 1911 it is by no means bad. I know the CW45 is a bit lighter then the PT145 (30 oz fully loaded). I know the CW45 isnt really a range gun but if I cant put 100 rounds though it in a session comfortably then I generally stay away from it. How the comfort level?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I was editing my post to add a comment about the recoil as you were posting your question!

Reread my original post!

Regards,
    Jim

VIP Member
    Rollo - I love following your logic as you rationalize your next purchase - you're as bad as I am!

My EDC is also a PT145, I also have a Kahr P45. I have not given up on the PT145 yet, I really like the PT145s 10+1 vs. 6+1 in the Kahr.

I like both but the extra 4 rds is nice.

Waiting on the Kahr holster and will try carrying it and see where I end up.

I have had NO problem putting 100 rds thru the Kahr after I put a Houge Jr on the grip. The serrations were really making it hard to shoot alot.
    02PSD4ME

jyo
    I too have had the Kahr "mag drop" problem on all three CW-9s (mine, my wife's and my brothers)---all three were fixed with new mag release and mag release springs (free from Kahr) and now run 100%. My Kahr P45 (black finish) shoots just fine (all four pistols shoot to point of aim and have very nice DAO triggers). On the P45 recoil is NOTICABLE with the bottom rear of the grip being the worst due to sharp checkering at that spot---I plan to address this problem soon by smoothing the sharp points. I can now recommend the polly Kahrs. Slim and small, perfect for concealed carry.

VIP Member
    I've never had any issue with my CW9. It's the thinnest 9mm gun I own and I carry it a lot. Keep it clean, lube it up and it's a dream...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I guess I got one of the good ones too..... My CW9 has been perfect from day one. I like the 9mm in CW line cause it'll shoot the +p and with the additional energy from the +p kinda makes the larger round moot for me.

Here are the #s from the Speer GD site.

* SP = standard pressure

9mm 124gr +p FPS =1220, FPE = 410
    .45 230gr SP, FPS = 890, FPE = 404
    .45 185gr SP, FPS = 1050, FPE = 453

Bigger holes for sure with the .45, but the BG wont be able to tell the difference I'm sure.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have a CW40 and have had zero problems with mag drops-love the overall size of it too!
    "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is expensive."

Quote Originally Posted by jyo View Post
    I too have had the Kahr "mag drop" problem on all three CW-9s (mine, my wife's and my brothers)---all three were fixed with new mag release and mag release springs (free from Kahr) and now run 100%. My Kahr P45 (black finish) shoots just fine (all four pistols shoot to point of aim and have very nice DAO triggers). On the P45 recoil is NOTICABLE with the bottom rear of the grip being the worst due to sharp checkering at that spot---I plan to address this problem soon by smoothing the sharp points. I can now recommend the polly Kahrs. Slim and small, perfect for concealed carry.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02PSD4ME View Post

I have had NO problem putting 100 rds thru the Kahr after I put a Houge Jr on the grip. The serrations were really making it hard to shoot alot.
    JYO
    Try putting a Houge Jr slip on rubber grip on it. It eliminated any bite my P45 put on my hand
    02PSD4ME

Kahr CW9 here and no problems in over 200 rounds. I can even pocket carry it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.
    God bless our troops!

x2 on the Hogue HandAll Jr. I have them on all my Kahrs.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

jyo
    I will look into the Hogue slip-on for my P45. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jyo View Post
    I will look into the Hogue slip-on for my P45. Thanks
    There is one for sale by the guy above your post in the for sale section
    02PSD4ME

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links