Range Report: M&P 9mm compact

This is a discussion on Range Report: M&P 9mm compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, last week I sold off two of my guns to fund this purchase and some accessories and ammo for it. I ordered it from ...

Thread: Range Report: M&P 9mm compact

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar

Range Report: M&P 9mm compact

Well, last week I sold off two of my guns to fund this purchase and some accessories and ammo for it.

I ordered it from expresspolicesupply.com, which gave me law enforcement pricing. Props here for outstanding service and communication- one of their people noticed that the takedown lever doesn't stay in the down position, and he called S&W about it and then e-mailed me asking if I wanted it sent to the factory to be fixed first.

He didn't know that this is a pretty common and minor issue that works itself out pretty quickly, but I was really glad that they noticed and contacted me.

Anyway, it came with a free Serpa holster for it, which I find to be a very well-designed paddle holster. Not too concealable, but I like the solid locking positions for the adjustable cant.

So I also ordered XS Big Dot night sights, 500 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 9mm ball, 60 rounds of 124 gr. +P SB Gold Dots, and a Supertuck (Still waiting on that).

I picked it up at my LGS on Monday, had them install the sights (They didn't Loctite them, and the gun groups consistently to the left, so it wasn't a great job, but the rest of their service is pretty good).

And yesterday afternoon I took it out to the range. Ran about 200 rounds through it, a full magazine of Gold Dots through each of the three magazines (LEO guns come with three instead of two, and S&W was kind enough to include two with the finger grip extension and only one with the flat base plate) as a function check, then straight ball. Would have shot more, but I had to pick my wife up from work.

I'm not a fantastic shot by any means, and I want to emphasize here that Big Dots are NOT by any means bullseye sights. My fair-to-middling skill, the size of the gun, and the huge front sight made staying on a sheet of paper at 75 feet a little more work than usual (I had about 75% of my shots on that sheet after the first few magazines- it takes a little bit to get used to aiming with the Big Dot).

However, at 10 yards, 7 yards, and 3 yards, I found the Big Dots to be extremely fast on target. I shot much faster with the same level of accuracy that I was shooting three-dot sights with previously. All my shots went into a paper plate or sheet of paper at those ranges, and I was shooting as fast as possible.

No malfunctions of any kind occurred during this range session.

Brief comment on the ammo- my practice ammo was S&B 115-gr. FMJ. This was without a doubt the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot. Shot reliably and accurately, and I hear it's loaded a little hot, but my gun was filthy, and so were my hands. A couple times I felt particles hitting me in the face.

COMMENTS ON THE GUN:

1. It has remarkably little recoil. With the finger extension magazines, it's virtually nonexistent- not quite as little as a .22, unlike any other 9mm I've ever shot (XD subcompact was close, but subjectively, I thought the Glock 19, H&K P7 were harder to handle). I could have shot thousands of rounds through that little gun without a problem. With the flat base plate magazine, the recoil is still nonexistent, but the gun jumps around a little more and you need a firmer grip.

No noticeable difference in recoil between the 124-gr. +P GDHPs and the S&B 115-gr. ball, but this may be because S&B loads hot.

2. Maybe I'm drinking S&W Kool-Aid, but I've never had a malfunction with either of the M&Ps I've owned. (Full-size .40 and this one).

3. The modified slide release that's slightly wider on the new guns works like a charm. The old ones were really hard to operate until the gun broke in, and you would have to slingshot it for a while. The new ones- no problem.

4. Subjectively, compared to other compact guns in this category, I felt that the M&P was shorter from magazine well to slide than the Glock 26 or the XD subcompact, but the barrel is a tad longer than the latter. I like the balance there- I prefer a slightly longer slide and barrel with a shorter grip for concealability.

5. The finger grip extensions on the two mags that have them work like a charm. Slightly bobtailed, and the finger extension is hollow, so they're only a fraction heavier and still incredibly easy to conceal- but you get a lot more control out of them. I would recommend using these all the time.

6. I love this little gun very much and it now goes with me everywhere.

2. Remove Ads

Nice. I love my little 9C. My LEO pistol only came with two mags though. Not that im complaining. The shop swapped out the flat bottem with another for a grip extended mag.

That ammo shoots fine, but I also found that it suffers from excessive fouling.

GM
    Thanks for the report. Good that you like your new pistol. Congrats!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    thanks for the awesome range report.... I like those little compacts
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

All my LE models have come with 3 mags. I have 17K rounds through my 9C and havent had a single issue.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the report,
    I have a 9c and love it!!

Okay, I pulled the pin. Now what? Hey! Where are ya going?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Hi im new here and have a question. Ive noticed from some pictures that some of the M&Ps have a ledge or step cut in the rear sight. Please advise if they are newer sights or the Tritium sights... My local shop only had the ramped ones.

GMan

My 40c and 40 Full Size have the least amount of recoil of any 40 S&W cal gun.

My M&P are primary carry guns for me.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I also purchased a M&P 9c from Express Police Supply last week but with the factory night sights. I took it to the range and shot around 125 rounds through it with no problems. I was really impressed. Recoil was very minor and it felt great in my hand. My groups were very nice and tight compared to my HK P2000sk. The trigger is a little gritty but I ordered the Apex sear to install and that should help a lot. I plan on using it to replace my HK P2000sk as I can already tell I will shoot it better. I also got 3 mags, 2 with extended plates and 1 flat. The factory Trijicon Night sights are pretty good, very accurate.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I love my 9c (tomorrow, I'm sure that I'll like my full sized too)

Mines came with 3 mags but I traded my extension base plate with all flat ones.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Great report, thanks and enjoy the new pistol!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Good report.

My brother and I took the M&P9c to the range last weekend for it's first time out and put 100 rounds through. No issues of course and I was surprised by how little recoil it had; very easy to control and bring back into alignment for a follow up shot. Neither of us liked the mag without the pinky rest, but the 12 rounder with the pinky and the 17 rounder were great.

I still prefer my CZ P-01 and/or PCR, but the 9c has it's place in the lineup.

Great range report, my wife has one and man we love it. Shoots great. Congrats.

M&P9c - A Great shooter

I've put about 1000 rounds through mine and I've had zero problems to report. Having shot a number of semi-auto handguns or the last few years (Glock, H&K, XD, CZ, Ruger, etc), I've found my M&P9c to be the best performing.

Now if I could only decide what to carry; my M&P9c or one of my J frames.

To settle this dilemma, perhaps I will carry both. Why not?

Links