Looking for input

Looking for input

This is a discussion on Looking for input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK...Here is the situation. I have an opportunity to pick up a used S&W, stainless 1911, 5 inch, for about 400 bucks (My brother is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for input

OK...Here is the situation. I have an opportunity to pick up a used S&W, stainless 1911, 5 inch, for about 400 bucks (My brother is giving me the price) or I am looking at a new RIA, 3.5 inch tactical for about 450 bucks. Which would you choose based on the information here? They both feel great in my hand. I am leaning toward the RIA because of carry option but don't want to pass up a great opportunity on the smith because of the price and function. It will mainly be a home defense weapon BUT it will be carried as well although not full time. The external extractor of the smith doesn't bother me at all as I am more concerned with function than looks (albeit I think the 1911 platform is down right sexy). I haven't fired either one of them. So what ya all think??

Thats a tough call. If I were in your position it would come down to how often I thought I was going to carry.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I agree, if you're going to carry it a lot the RIA would be easier. The Smith would not be impossible to conceal. I'd say go ahead and jump on the Smith for now.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Carry what you shoot best.

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
    3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
    4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
    5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

I heard that Smith got their external extractors right, so that shouldn't be an issue. That said, it's not my cup of tea so I would get the RIA before the Smith. Get whatever suits you.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

All the sage advice (as above) aside, I personally don't do "deals" with family. It helps keeps arguments, recrimination, and hard feelings to a minimum.

VIP Member
    Chances are you'll get more reliability out of a 5" 1911. Unless it's gonna be your EDC, I'd go for the Smith...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    All the sage advice (as above) aside, I personally don't do "deals" with family. It helps keeps arguments, recrimination, and hard feelings to a minimum.
    Mad, Probably the best piece of advise and input I have read so far. One of the reasons I am leaning toward the RIA more than anything because both feel real good in my hand.

As far as the rest of the inputs, all good. i would never skimp on a defense weapon but I am one who thinks that even though a weapon is 450 dollars, that really doesnt constitute skimping to me. I have done a lot of research on the RIA brand and the owners tell me they are excellent and reliable weapons. Do some have problems, yep but I have heard of others in all brands having issues including $thousand platforms. I am also considering a ruger LCR or SP 101 but really desire a 1911 platform as well. Thought I would run this by fellow weapons enthusiast as I am interested in all input as far as brand, reliability, cost, problem areas, and fun factor. I understand the choice is mine alone but the two choices are very close and I would be satisfied with either one. Part of the fun of choosing a weapon is doing the research. What better way to find out about choices than to ask the owners of a product themselves (I do realize that in addition to their input, I have to be satisfied with it as well). Thanks for all the responses so far and look forward to reading more.

No question about it, hands down the 1911!

Why not shoot the best...

jmho;-)

los
    I'd ask to test-fire the used 1911. You never know if it's been hacked internally or improperly mated with problematic parts.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Smith...no question a better made gun overall than the RIA, and that is a great price. Get a smaller version later.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I truly love the full size 1911s. That's what I grew up on in pistols basically. Yeah...all cold steel, and no hybrids. I carried one in my stint with the US military, and sought the same soon after I was a civilian again. It's hard for me to imagine anything less than a full size 1911 ever again for any purpose actually, since my association with it was in combat and deployment. I've never owned an abbreviated version of the 1911A1, but I've thought about it seriously a few times, but the truth is for me and my priorities these days, I depend on other things, and it's hard to explain sometimes...even to myself. Thing is, I would feel out of place with anything less than what I believed in back in those days. A full size 1911 in the hand with a full magazine is just one of those feelings for me I'll never forget, and like a bicycle, I could ride it all over again like it was yesterday. Something shorter and lighter in a 1911, and I don't think I could deal with it. S&W 1911? Who created the 1911? S&W is not my idea of a 1911 even if it looks the same. It should be a Colt 1911, and that's pretty much all there is to it if you want a true 1911 in the same fashion as any 1911 should be. The Colt 1911 is part of earth for me. To heck with copies (clones maybe...since I did have a Norinco at one time).....the feeling just aint there IMO. If you want a new abbreviated version of the original 1911, then I figure the RIA offerings may well be the closest you could get to entertaining the feeling that I'm feeling over the S&W offering. So......if I were you in your shoes, (and based on the information supplied, I'd actually go for the new RIA pistol. S&W isn't a favorite of mine anyway (of course I'm Glock now anyway), but in my younger years something set in to my being about S&W that to this day causes me to look the other way whenever it's mentioned. Never had a S&W anything, and never will. Maybe there's a gender gap? Like I said....difficult to explain.

I'd get the S&W.

S&W hands down.

I'd advise the Smith assuming the family issues are ok.
    Reasoning: RIA isn't going anywhere, if you decide to get an officer's 1911 down the road, but you might not find as good a deal on the Smith.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links