Defensive Carry banner

Want to know if you like/trust your slim 709

2K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  BugDude 
#1 ·
To all slim 709 owners. I simply want to know if your 709 ran like a champ "straight out of the box after a initial cleaning" , or have you had problems that you finally worked out or had to send back to Taurus. Do you trust your life with it?
I really like the size and slimness of this gun. I want to buy one, but I had issues with the one and only Taurus I have owned(pt745 millineum). Thanks

#2 ·
I'll be the first to admit I don't own one. But I don't want one either. But I do work part time for a busy shop that sells them. I am the guy in the back room that fixes stuff or sends it off to the maker to be fixed.

Taurus has a less than reputable image, and the 709 does not help that image much at all. The trigger return spring has been an issue, as is the polymer. I've seen three now that the rear panel on the left side has broke/blown apart. The mag followers have been a problem as has the slide lock. I have no idea what caused the polymer problem, I just put them in a box and send them off. We are seeing roughly a 30-40% return ratio with that particular gun. Sometimes there is a rash of problem guns that spikes returns, but that number has been steady (or maybe even climbing) since we started selling them.

Good news is, its a interesting and promising design but it has been poorly executed. I hope Taurus gets its act together soon.

#7 ·
I'll be the first to admit I don't own one. But I don't want one either. But I do work part time for a busy shop that sells them. I am the guy in the back room that fixes stuff or sends it off to the maker to be fixed.

Taurus has a less than reputable image, and the 709 does not help that image much at all. The trigger return spring has been an issue, as is the polymer. I've seen three now that the rear panel on the left side has broke/blown apart. The mag followers have been a problem as has the slide lock. I have no idea what caused the polymer problem, I just put them in a box and send them off. We are seeing roughly a 30-40% return ratio with that particular gun. Sometimes there is a rash of problem guns that spikes returns, but that number has been steady (or maybe even climbing) since we started selling them.
That seems to jive with what I've seen around here. I was at my local shop the other day and he had three that were being boxed up to go back. He said that the SCCY/SKKY guns were the only ones he has to send back more than the Taurus autos. Says he never has to send Taurus revolvers back though..... go figure.

#3 ·
Mine is back at Taurus being repaired. The first time out (out of the box) it was light striking. Second time out it started stove piping like crazy.

#4 ·
I bought one for my wife. I have about 600 rounds through it without any problems at all. It worked great after a substantial cleaning of all the goo inside. Granted it is not a high end firearm, but it fits the bill for my wife. This is her EDC gun, and yes she does trust her life with it, otherwise she would not carry it.

#6 ·
Out of the box. Awesome! Fits well in my hands and looks great! 100 rounds, no problems. Had to sight in a bit (it was low and to the left) My wife likes it a lot also! Great purchase.

#11 ·
I bought mine (stainless steel slide) new and have owned it for six months and have 800 flawless rounds through it. It is very accurate and easy to carry. I haven't had any types of issues whatsoever with multiple types and brands of ammo. I am also OCD about cleaning and maintenance of all of my guns. I trust my life with it and have 100% faith and confidence in it. No question. Did I just happen to get a good one? Maybe....but my personal experience has been perfect. My expectations have been exceeded.

#12 ·
I have the Stainless Slide..After an initial cleaning of all the gunk shipping grease, I lubed it ,just like my Glock, with some high temp wheelbearing grease and initially ran six mags of 115gr FMJ as quick as I could pull the trigger, tac reload, and continue shooting. Narry a problem! Brought it home, cleaned it good, so it's ready to go for the wife to start practicing with to qualify for her CWP...Completely satisfied at this point.

#13 ·
Have the stainless slide and have had NO problems. Don't really know how many rounds have gone through it but it's been a lot. Love the gun! My dad has one also with NO problems. NONE

#15 ·
I had one with the SS slide and had multiple problems that required a trip back to the factory. The day it came back from Taurus I went to the range, the gun still had the same problems plus the front sight fell off. I sent it back a second time, after 4 weeks it came home, Taurus said it was repaired, I believed them, put it in its plastic case and sold the gun.

#17 ·
:nono:

run a poll on any gun site Keltec vs taurus, keltec will win- reliability-customer service- Price and last but not least MADE IN THE USA.:congrats:

#18 ·
He's speaking from his personal experience, which the OP requested ("to all slim 709 owners"). If my memory serves me correctly, the range report he posted indicates he owns two Kel Tecs and a Taurus Slim. His experience shaped his opinion, which he shared. Other opinions may vary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.