1911 question

This is a discussion on 1911 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, havent posted in some time but continue to lurk and learn. I have a question about a Springfield 1911 that a co-worker wants ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 question

1911 question

Hey guys, havent posted in some time but continue to lurk and learn. I have a question about a Springfield 1911 that a co-worker wants to sell. It is the v10 ultra compact. It has been fitted with an Ed Brown beavertail, STI trigger and the slide notched for different rear site. The guy also put on Colt officer grips. I tried to take a couple of pics, for some reason they're kind of blurry. The gun is pretty nice shape, hasnt been shot much but I cant find alot of info about them and what is something like this worth? Thanks in advance!!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

who did the work
    what does he want for it
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Used 1911 values where their is a hodgepodge of parts added are tough to determine but they seem to always get at least $650-700 on the low range upwards of maybe $900...but any more than that and you can get a new one....this comment of course excludes the upper eschelon builders like Wilson etc.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    who did the work
    what does he want for it
    There is a local place call Jack First Gun Shop (you can see there advertisements in shotgun news etc...) They specialize in building gun parts for old/antique guns and the like along with general smithing. I wouldnt say the guy is a premier gunsmith but the works looks decent enough. My coworker wants $450 for it

If you're interested, make him a deal to go to the range together (you buy the bullets). If it runs reliable and the work feels solid, it's worth the money he's asking.

A coworker bought one of these maybe 12 years ago when they came out. It gave dependable function. Seemed like it was near a $1000 when he purchased it brand new. The vented barrel was off-putting to me but he liked it.

If he wants 450 for it take it, that is a good deal for any 1911......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

450.00 is fair but make sure it functions well.
    I have owned two and I don't own them anymore due to FTE and Stovepipe malfunctions.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

As a 1911 guy, never buy one that was "hot rodded". First, you don't know what was done to the gun and more than likely is a mix of parts. For the 450.00 you are speaking of add a little and buy yourself a nice Brand New....Springfield Milspec. Then do as you like. The Milspec is a basic 1911 and goes bang every time. I have had mine for years. In my opinion don't buy, everything that looks good really anit. Just my 2 cents.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Do a 1911 function test. If it passes offer him $400. If he refuses give him the $450 it's a no brainer.

If you know what to look for on a 1911 and it has NOT been butchered, I'd buy it.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Ask to test fire it after you function test it, $450 is a steal if it works right, but heed bluelions advice as well.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

good deal

450.00 for a Springer is a good deal, if the person who did the work knew what he was doing. I agree with the "test drive" idea.
    If you have any doubts, don't be afraid to pass on it. If you just want a great 1911 for self defense/conceal carry, You can get a new Rock Island for about the same amount, or even less.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

I appreciate all of the comments and opinions. The $450 price is not entirely accurate. The co-worker is also somewhat a friend and we have swapped and traded before (mostly motorcycle stuff), and with some unfinished business the amount I would have in it would be hard to calculate-probably $400 on the high side. I do know the gun functions fine (dont know about the accuracy but I have the luxury of testing before buying). I understand why someone would swap triggers and mill the slide for better sights but what about the E.B. beavertail (as I am no 1911 expert), whats the purpose there? Thanks again

The price alone is a good price, but yes, test drive it and find out more about the "custom additions".....because if they are not right, you could easily drop another couple hundred getting that fixed, and then it is not such a great deal.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links