BHP trigger "issues"...Please Help

This is a discussion on BHP trigger "issues"...Please Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been working on my CCW set-up with my BHP. It's a 1962 BHP which my father bought in Belgium. After handling the gun for ...

Thread: BHP trigger "issues"...Please Help

I've been working on my CCW set-up with my BHP. It's a 1962 BHP which my father bought in Belgium. After handling the gun for a while I decided to put a larger safety on it for CCW use. The factory one was real small. While being dropped off at the gun store/gunsmith he asked if I wanted him to disconnect the mag-safety also. He said it would help the trigger a lot. The trigger was pretty "stiff" compaired to my Rem. Rand 1911 so I decided to let him do it.
    Well.... took the gun to the range for the first time and it failed after 5 rounds. The trigger was no "re-setting". The slide would cycle / hammer back/ round in chamber.... but the trigger would not come forward. If I "wiggled it" it would pop forward and reset to fire. It happened a couple times. I called the guy after leaving the range... not very happy. He said that he test-fired with no probs. and that he would be glad to look at it.... and maybe re-install the safety.
    Now my question.... and my knowledge is limited so take it easy on me... Should I not trust this gunsmith and his work ? Is this a minor adjustment or should I have the safety re-installed?.. I need a RELIABLE CCW gun.
    Thanks for looking
    Steve

I'm not sure what all is involved in disconnecting the mag saftey. I bought my BHP used with the mag disconnect safety removed. It's been a sweet shooter since day one.

I'd give him a chance to make things right before you decide to cry foul.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I would give him a second chance. Perhaps test fire it when you pick it up again? We're all human, and no one is perfect. The fact that he's willing to fix it (assuming for free) is a good sign that he's willing to honor his work, and not blame it on you/ammo/something else.

JD
    Administrator
    The issue is that that mag disconnect helps reset the trigger, without it in place it looses a lot of force on the return spring, you need to have the spring changed with a spring with more return power, you can get some from Wolf gun springs. Tweaking on the trigger return spring can also work, but it's kind of a pain in the rear. Even if you do replace the spring with one from Wolf, you may have to tweak it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I would give him a second chance. Perhaps test fire it when you pick it up again? We're all human, and no one is perfect. The fact that he's willing to fix it (assuming for free) is a good sign that he's willing to honor his work, and not blame it on you/ammo/something else.
    I know... and I'm not throwing him under the bus. I LOVE this gun and I was a little "iffy" on him changing the mag-safety. He said that he could change it back ... and he was very polite and assured me he would make it right. We'll see how it turn out.
    Thanks for the reply
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The issue is that that mag disconnect helps reset the trigger, without it in place it looses a lot of force on the return spring, you need to have the spring changed with a spring with more return power, you can get some from Wolf gun springs. Tweaking on the trigger return spring can also work, but it's kind of a pain in the rear. Even if you do replace the spring with one from Wolf, you may have to tweak it.
    Thanks JD
    That info helps. I might have him re-install the safety and keep the trigger stock. It will not be a nice as the trigger on my Rem. Rand 1911...
    Steve
    PS. Thanks for your great web-site.... great info !!

Does the serial number of your gun start with the letter T ? If so, please put it back to stock configuration and "retire" it to fun status. Those older T-series are quite desirable now.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Does the serial number of your gun start with the letter T ? If so, please put it back to stock configuration and "retire" it to fun status. Those older T-series are quite desirable now.
    I'll check it as soon as it comes back from the gunsmith. But i'm pretty sure it's not a T gun.
    Thanks
    Steve

My $0.02, FWIW

If you are using this Hi Power as a defensive weapon I would take a look at a recent "Combat Handguns" article by Massad Ayoob. He goes into detail about why removing the Magazine Disconnect Safety is a bad idea.

My favorite handgun, "bottomfeeding platform", is the Hi Power. Mine have the Mag Disconnect in place. If, after reading the article, you still want to remove the safety feature I would find a Hi Power Gunsmith, as they are a bit more complicated than your standard 1911. Also, a good 'smith can do a "trigger job" on your gun and leave the disconnect in place. Removing the disconnect as part of a "trigger job" to obtain a good feeling trigger is the sign of a Gunbutcher and not a Gunsmith.

I went through the trials and tribulations of a Gunbutcher with a Hi Power. Now I'm particular whom I will let touch my Hi Powers, and many times prefer stock Hi Powers.

Biker

EDIT: Also, the new style Browning magazines will drop free, as they have the "mouse trap" spring.
    Last edited by BikerRN; April 2nd, 2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: See Above

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you are using this Hi Power as a defensive weapon I would take a look at a recent "Combat Handguns" article by Massad Ayoob. He goes into detail about why removing the Magazine Disconnect Safety is a bad idea.

My favorite handgun, "bottomfeeding platform", is the Hi Power. Mine have the Mag Disconnect in place. If, after reading the article, you still want to remove the safety feature I would find a Hi Power Gunsmith, as they are a bit more complicated than your standard 1911. Also, a good 'smith can do a "trigger job" on your gun and leave the disconnect in place. Removing the disconnect as part of a "trigger job" to obtain a good feeling trigger is the sign of a Gunbutcher and not a Gunsmith.

I went through the trials and tribulations of a Gunbutcher with a Hi Power. Now I'm particular whom I will let touch my Hi Powers, and many times prefer stock Hi Powers.

Biker

EDIT: Also, the new style Browning magazines will drop free, as they have the "mouse trap" spring.

Thanks for the info Biker...
    After posting here and the 1911 forum I have learned that you should replace the spring if you remove the mag-safety. For me that's way to much "tinkering" with a gun that means a lot to me and that is such a beautiful design.
    I dropped the gun off last night so that he could replace the mag-safety and return it to the original condition(no charge )
    So the only change I have made to the gun is a larger thumb-safety.(factory one was way too small)
    Thanks again
    Steve

Links