G22 question

G22 question

This is a discussion on G22 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my new G22 is a wonderful weapon that I absolutely love. However I am having a problem with the slide. Without the mag in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G22 question

G22 question

So my new G22 is a wonderful weapon that I absolutely love. However I am having a problem with the slide. Without the mag in the slide works just fine. When I put the mag in and attempt to move the slide it is very difficult. This happens when I check to see if a round is chambered as I carry it 15+1. I am not weak with either hand by any means, so I know that this is not the problem. Anybody have any suggestions?
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

Could someone please answer me ? I don't understand why people view this post but choose not to help. What is the problem with helping someone out ?
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

I have found on several Glock pistols that if I load the magazine up to its stated max, that I cannot easily insert the full magazine. I have not pushed the issue (no pun intended). When I back down to max minus 1, no problem inserting the mag.

This I load a 22 magazine up with 14, chamber a round, press check, then remove mag and add 1 more round.

I am okay with this because I am used to carrying, from my Army days, with less than max in a magazine. We were trained to only put 18-rounds in a 20-round M-16 mag.

Perhaps my experience, and yours, are related to the same issue?

I am not talking about the mag. It is not hard to insert. I am referring to the slide not being able to be moved back very easily when a round is chambered and the mag is in. If I remove the mag then the slide works just fine. Any thoughts ?

This happens when I check to see if a round is chambered as I carry it 15+1.
    I got the impression from your original post that this did not happen with less than a full to the brim magazine.

Could the pressure being exerted upwards by that 15th round in the magazine be somehow influencing your ability to move the slide?

If you think I don't have a clue, I will gladly STFU.

VIP Member
    I've never had any problems with my guns doing this. I would assume that Bandolero has it about right.

Edit:
    When was the last time the gun was cleaned and more importantly lubed?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I will try that thank you, I never said that I dont think you have a clue, I was jsut clarifying

Glock 22 test

I just quick checked again with my Glock-22.

With round in chamber:

- 14 rounds in a G-22 magazine = no problem inserting mag

- 15 rounds in a G-22 magazine = the magazine will not fully seat. There is something causing resistance to the complete insertion of the magazine into the pistol. And I am not going to push the issue

- Remove 1 round from magazine: 14 rounds in a G-22 magazine = no problem inserting mag

Glock 23 test

I just ran the same test with my Glock-23.

With round in chamber:

- 12 rounds in a G-23 magazine = no problem inserting mag

- 13 rounds in a G-23 magazine = the magazine will not fully seat. There is something causing resistance to the complete insertion of the magazine into the pistol. And I am not going to push the issue

- Remove 1 round from magazine: 12 rounds in a G-23 magazine = no problem inserting mag

Glock 27 test

Then I ran same test with my Glock-27.

With round in chamber:

- 9 rounds in a G-27 magazine (standard base plate on magazine) = no problem inserting mag

- 10 rounds in a G-27 magazine (standard base plate on magazine) = the magazine will not fully seat. There is something causing resistance to the complete insertion of the magazine into the pistol. And I am not going to push the issue

- Remove 1 round from magazine: 9 rounds in a G-27 (standard base plate on magazine) magazine = no problem inserting mag

Now interestingly, with the one magazine I have that has a finger grip base plate, I had no problems inserting the fully loaded (10 rounds) magazine into the pistol with a round in the chamber.

Glock 29 test

I just ran the same test with my Glock-29.

With round in chamber:

- 9 rounds in a G-29 magazine (with finger grip base plate) = no problem inserting mag

- 10 rounds in a G-29 magazine (with finger grip base plate) = the magazine will not fully seat. There is something causing resistance to the complete insertion of the magazine into the pistol. And I am not going to push the issue

- Remove 1 round from magazine: 9 rounds in a G-29 magazine (with finger grip base plate) = no problem inserting mag

I have a G23 (Gen 3). With 13 rounds in the magazine, I can insert the magazine fully into the pistol and rack the slide with no problem.

With a round in the chamber, I can top off the magazine, and insert the magazine fully into the pistol, again with no problems.

I would suggest you try another magazine, and if that doesn't improve the situation, have your pistol looked at by a gunsmith familiar with Glocks to see what the problem is. A 13 round magazine should function fine with 13 rounds in it. My opinion.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

All my magazines are OEM Glock.

I have never carried magazines loaded to the max anyway*, so for me it's no big deal. I just thought I would share some personal observations with the original poster as it could help explain his issue. Maybe.

* = Except for a PPK/S, which because of the low magazine round count to begin with, leaves little margin for error. And I keep the top round in the actual magazine an FMJ.

All my mags are OEM glock as well. I just tried all 3 mags that I have and after removing 1 round the slide works fine. What is the deal? I dont understand the point of a 15 round mag that cant function with 15 rounds in it. This kind of defeats the purpose.

VIP Member
    New mags = new mag springs. Glock mag springs are notoriously tight when new. Load the mag full and leave it for a few days, then unload and reload. test it then, if the problem continues, repeat once. If it continues after that, you may want to have an armorer or gunsmith look at it.

Good luck
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links