H&K people out there?

This is a discussion on H&K people out there? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; USPc .40 in Crossbreed Supertuck. This is an awesome gun, but it is a bit large. Darren...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: H&K people out there?

USPc .40 in Crossbreed Supertuck. This is an awesome gun, but it is a bit large.

Darren

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    H&K are great, just really large for the most part. I think they would sell about 100 times more if they were a hair smaller and cheaper.
    i don't think the size has much to do with it. I think the price is the bigger issue. However you get what you pay for.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    H&K are great, just really large for the most part. I think they would sell about 100 times more if they were a hair smaller and cheaper.
    I own a couple HKs and would own more if the price wasn't so much. For what they run, I am getting into optioned out 1911 territory (think beyond Mil spec or GI). If they were priced lower they would sell more, but like BMW and Mercedes Benz you are paying for German engineering and namesake.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Have P30, HK 45c, P2000SK. Carry the P2000SK 9mm LEM.. Got rid of all my other brand guns and only have a few smith and wesson revolvers. Love my P2000SK, only issue I ever had was a squib round (range FMJ ammo), other than that I have probably 1,500+ rounds down the pipe. I think its hands down the best carry gun I have shot so far. Going to be trading in a few of my revolvers for one in .357 sig LEM soon.

If your thinking on the P2000SK for carry, dont hesitate. Yea it costs a little more than others but you get 3 magazines and an extremely well built gun. The only down side is the magazine costs are astronomical... Then again Sig is up there also.

I have an HK USPf 9mm. It has been flawless through some 5k rounds. It is too large for me to comfortably conceal, so it is now my night table gun.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I was at my favorite gun shop last week when a new shipment of guns arrived. Two that caught my interest were a 9mm Springfield Armory EMP and a H&K .40 new model I can't remember what it was called. However, the salesman said I definitely would be the first one on my block to have one. They were both almost the same price, over $1,000.00. I was taken by the EMP as it is actually a mini 1911 and ambidextrious and I have not found many guns for southpaws. Needless to say, it followed me home. I haven't shot it yet but it's hard to keep from wetting my pants in anticipation.

I used to have a Sig P226 as my EDC it was and still is a great handgun. Then i tried a H&K P2000sk in .40 S&W. That quickly became my favorite gun and was followed by a P2000 in .40 and a HK45.

All are super accurate and reliable. The racking of the slide makes you feel the quality. As a point only for me, I prefer the DA/SA over the LEM but that could be because of all the years with the Sig.

I have used all the H&Ks for IDPA and CC. The .45 is only for winter here in SC because of it's size.

The only negative is IMO the trigger is not up to the same standard as the rest of the gun.

I have a T&T Gunleather that works for all of them. If I needed a holster quick i would go for an inexpensive Don Hume from either Top Gun or Gunners Alley.

PLEASE stop posting all those pics of P7s my bank account can not stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I was at my favorite gun shop last week when a new shipment of guns arrived. Two that caught my interest were a 9mm Springfield Armory EMP and a H&K .40 new model I can't remember what it was called. However, the salesman said I definitely would be the first one on my block to have one. They were both almost the same price, over $1,000.00. I was taken by the EMP as it is actually a mini 1911 and ambidextrious and I have not found many guns for southpaws. Needless to say, it followed me home. I haven't shot it yet but it's hard to keep from wetting my pants in anticipation.
    as far as i know all the HK's have ambidextrious contols. Both of mine do.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

REALLY like my HK USPc .40 LEM

My only carry firearm is currently a USPc .40 with the LEM trigger and night sights. I absolutely love this gun! It fits the hand very well, points and shoots great also. The LEM trigger is simply amazing - it takes some getting used to but once that happens I find myself judging everything else by it. My friend has a Springfield XD and doesn't care for my HK - I think partly because the .40 is a bigger bang than he's used to (compared to his 9mm) and the trigger is different - however I can outshoot him with mine and after shooting both I deffinitly prefer the HK. I can see where the price puts some off, and there are others that are easier to conceal - however I got a pretty screamin deal on mine and carry it in a crossbreed supertuck and forget its even there.

Distinguished Member
    What about the trigger takes getting used to? I see that the pull is heavier than a Glock, although the H&K literature says it has an easier pull than most.

Anyone with a 9mm P2000 or SK, would you say that the perceived recoil is different from Glock 19 (which seems to have a light recoil to me).

My hand has really been giving me problems so felt recoil is really important.

Again, thanks for all the thoughts and photos.

c

NOTE: I am talking about the trigger on the LEM, not the DA/SA.

Here is a blurb about the LEM trigger and how it works, with the travel distance and reset of the trigger explained, once you master that - and are used to the slightly heavier pull it breaks cleanly and is deadly accurate.

(found this at: Firearms - The USP LEM Trigger Module by MarkFreburg ) - Go to this page for a more complete explaination of the various triggers...

The H&K LEM pistols, like their regular DAO models, can be obtained with or without a control lever safety. I chose to not have the lever retained when my pistol was converted to LEM. I did this for a number of reasons: (a) The safety isn't necessary; (b) No liability issues of whether the pistol was on safe or not prior to firing; (c) To eliminate concerns that the pistol might be accidentally put on Safe; (d) The pistol is more comfortable in an IWB holster without the control lever; and (e) The absence of the control lever gives a cleaner access to the slide lock release lever. Other owners may have different priorities and may opt for having the control lever present. The LEM pistols have a two-part hammer -- an internal hammer and an external hammer. When the slide is cycled, either manually or by firing the pistol, the internal hammer is cocked but the eternal hammer follows the slide forward to its normal just-off-the-firing-pin position. The trigger is in its forward position. To fire the weapon, the trigger is pulled rearward through a long, light trigger pull of something less than 2 pounds. Near the end of that trigger stroke, resistance is encountered. If additional force is then applied to the trigger, the pistol will fire, cycle, and start all over again.

The LEM fire control module can be obtained in either of two trigger pulls. The "light trigger" is 4.5 to 5.5 pounds. The "heavy trigger" is 7.5 to 8.5 pounds. I chose the light trigger for my USP conversion. When I received the pistol back from Sterling, VA, the trigger measured just under 5.5 pounds on my RCBS trigger pull gauge. I anticipate that it will lighten up a little with use.

H&K advertises that their LEM trigger has a "very short trigger reset." I found this interesting, because the very long trigger reset is one of the main disadvantages (for me) of my Para Ordnance LDA pistol. I also wondered how they could have a short trigger reset, when the trigger had to move forward into its DAO position after firing. Well, here is one of the main advantages of the H&K LEM trigger over the P-O LDA trigger. After firing an LEM-equipped H&K USP pistol, the slide cycles faster than the shooter can release the trigger. This occurs in all semiauto pistols. If one fires the LEM pistol, and keeps the trigger back after firing, the hammer remains back! At this point, the shooter can let the trigger go forward just a short distance; the trigger will reset, the hammer will stay to the rear, and the pistol will be ready to fire again. If this is done repeatedly, firing the pistol will be just like firing a pistol in SA mode. There will be short trigger pulls of about 5 lbs, short resets, and hammer staying cocked after each shot. However, if the shooter lets the trigger go all the way forward after firing it, the hammer will go forward to its normal just-off-the-firing-pin position. At this point, the pistol will be in the same condition that it was after initially loading, and it may be safely holstered. Although the internal hammer remains cocked, letting the trigger go forward is almost like "decocking" the external hammer, but without having to manipulate a decocking lever.

There is another difference beween the H&K LEM trigger and the P-O LDA trigger. Like the other USP versions, if the LEM version is dry-fired, the hammer will go all the way forward and will be resting against the firing pin. At this point, unlike the P-O LDA, the trigger on the LEM can be pulled (against a very strong hammer spring) and a second strike on the primer can be obtained, if one wishes. This is not an advertised feature, but it exists nonetheless. I don't find it very useful--the chances of a factory primer not being fully seated are rather remote, and I believe that performing a "Tap-Rack-Bang" procedure is the best recovery. Besides, the hammer spring on the LEM version is stronger than on H&K's other pistols (for primer strike reliability), and the trigger pull required to achieve a second strike is substantial. I was unable to measure it, but I'd estimate that it is in the 16 to 20 pound range.

So, there you have it. The functioning of the LEM version of the Heckler & Koch USP pistol is similar to that of the Para Ordnance LDA models. However, unlike the LDA pistols, the H&K LEM trigger has a short reset. I should note that the term "very short reset" used by H&K is somewhat of a misnomer. It is definitely very much shorter than my P-O LDA pistol, and it is even shorter than my Rugers or the original USP TDA reset. But it is not as short as my Kimber 1911 pistols. It is about the same as the reset distance on my Glocks.

Yeah Hk's are expensive but if you shop around you cand find them for a good price. I got my p2000 sk for $775, brand new with all the normal accesories.( lock,case, mags, grips) A glock or XD is still going to run you 600 ish maybe more so for the little extra i will take the HK everytime. My full size i paid a bit more for as it was over $1000.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
    Yeah Hk's are expensive but if you shop around you cand find them for a good price.

I agree. My new P2000sk cost me $728, LE package with Mepro night sights and the third magazine. Well worth the money.

My second P7 I stumbled over in a gun shop about four years ago for only $550...came with four mags. Couldn't believe my eyes.

My stainless USPc set me back $600, but I'd gladly pay that again today. What a great gun.

The only gun I paid what I consider full retail for was the USP Elite, but there aren't many of them around. It was $1004, ouch, but that gets you a pistol that rivals any other in accuracy...equal or better than the $2500 custom 1911s.

Expensive? yes. Worth it? Oh yeah!

Might as well spend that cash on HKs....Obama man goin get it in taxes....oh wait...he may tax the owning of guns.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I was looking at a usp 45 compact and was wondering if the safety can be switched around for a lefty pretty easily.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links