Diamondback .380 Review

This is a discussion on Diamondback .380 Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HandgunWorld Just want to mention that any of these guns with no sights LCP's and P3AT's can be made very easy to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diamondback .380 Review

Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    Just want to mention that any of these guns with no sights LCP's and P3AT's can be made very easy to shoot with the addition of the nice CT lasers mounted on the trigger guard. Something to consider.
    First of all I discovered your show from reading this thread and consider me one of faithful listeners from now on. I am still going back and playing your older podcasts. It is nice to hear an honest opinion whether or not you agree with it - good job and keep up the good work.

Now before I get too sidetracked, I have owned both a Keltec P3AT and Ruger LCP and I found it necessary to use a CT laser to get decent accuracy (for me anyways) as the sights just pretty much stink for middle aged eyes. I also WAS using them as a main CC pistol, but after further reflection, I now only use either my Glock 19 or my Kahr CW9 or occasionally one of my revolvers (Ruger SP101 .357, CA Bulldog .44 Special, S&W 642 .38 (new)).

I no longer have the .380s but I have been thinking of getting a small .380 with real sights as a BUG to my 9mms and the Diamondback is one of the possible candidates that I have been thinking about now that .380 ammo seems to be back in stock.Your report will help in my decision or I may end up getting that Kahr PM9 that I have always wanted.
    God bless our troops!

2. Remove Ads

Those little .380's are so cute...

Right up to the point when you actually try to use them. Then...not so much.

I have read that the designers of this pistol branched off, well split off from Kahr after they had some disagreements on the design of the p380. Which in turn gave us an opportunity for this dandy little fella to be born as an option to compete along with the many other great 380s out there.

VIP Member
    Yesterday I had the chance to shoot a listener's Diamondback .380 pocket pistol. With the flurry of .380 auto's being made by all of the major manufacturers, it tells you something about the market. People seem to be gravitating towards the small pocket auto's. Personally, I think the best pocketable auto on the market is the Kahr PM9, but that's my personal bias. However, I give the Diamondback .380 a "B." I did have a few malfunctions in about 75-80 rounds, but quickly learned it was an ammo sensitive pistol. When fed ammo it likes...no problem at all. It's like a very small Glock, with real sights (of course, most people probably won't use sights on a pistol like this) and it's a very soft recoiling pistol for a lightweight polymer pocket gun. The magazines are good quaility, too. For a full review, let me invite you to listen to my podcast but I'll tell you, don't shy away because of the newness of the manufacturer. If my research is correct, they are owned by Diamondback Boats, which is a very reputable manufacturer of AirBoats used by the Coast Guard and Tour companys. Yes they are out of Florida and appear to have hired some people from Kel Tec. Seems to me like they combined features from Glock and Kel Tec. It's an affordable pistol that has it's limitations, but should serve as a decent back up gun. Definitely not a primary carry gun though.
    You did see this thread right?

WARNING !!!! Diamondback .380 ( 1 2 3 4)

Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    We've had 2 Diamondback .380's blowup at the range by 2 different customers . Both of them had their slides break in half while shooting ! They both broke completely in half at the ejection ports. Company won't return phone calls . DON'T BUY !!!!!!!!!!!
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Diamondback .380 Review

Just want to mention that any of these guns with no sights LCP's and P3AT's can be made very easy to shoot with the addition of the nice CT lasers mounted on the trigger guard. Something to consider.
    You mentioned the DB380 is sensitive to ammo. What ammo allowed for reliable operation?
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    You mentioned the DB380 is sensitive to ammo. What ammo allowed for reliable operation?
    I ran 400 rounds of various brands through my DB 380. I had a lot of problems with FTF and FTE. I sent it back to DB. They replaced the extractor rod and got it back to me in 1 week. I ran 21 rounds of UMC, 50 rounds of Aquila, and 20 rounds of Cor Bon through it today with no problems. Still not enough to be completely confident in the gun for carry but I am optimistic.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    The notes I've seen while searching for information on the Diamondback suggest that you need to run hotter ammo through it to avoid the FTE/FTF problems. You should probably repeat my searches so you get the information firsthand (or one step closer to firsthand), but that's the ammo issue from what I read.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Thumbs up Db 380 with zb.xxxx numbers

I just purchesed mine 2 days ago after a lot of reading "hrs" .
    i have been breaking it in on 90 grain independent ammo.
    the first 60 rounds were flawless, then i made a dumb move and nicked my thumb on the slide "you only do that once" barly nicked it but it caused a FTE after that it seemed to go down hill.
    with in the last 40 of 100 shots there was a FTE and 2 double feeds
    at witch point i called it a day so on first 100 thru it it was at 96% rely

some say thats not reliable enough but my thought is if i clean it and can fire another 50 with no problems it is going great.
    as i dont think i will have an extra 7 or 8 clips on me if i need to use it so we will see.

day 2 i cleaned it and took it to the range for a 100 more
    my first clip 6+1 first shot went off and feed jam
    i am thinking when i loaded it removed the clip and add a round when i racked it i didnt rack hard enough so i put it on my error...poo happens.
    so after that another 40 rounds and i had a FTE but that was the only other issue i had the last 60 were flawless

now on to acuracy

at 21 feet it is very easy to put all 7 rounds quickly in about a 4 in cluster.
    now on to 75 foot away"i wear glasses for stigmatisem and dont wear them when shooting" but even then there was a 1 foot spread on the target now i know its partly to my sight myself.
    also i havent fired a hand gun in 12 yrs except for the past two days
    so i can't complane

now easy breck down of this gun is amasing field strip and back together in under 30 sec love it....

my sights are diffrent i dont know if they are making it this way or not im thinking not but the sights on mine are not 3 dots across like
    " ..." but in a trangle "_-_" wereyou line the top of the back sight to the top front of the barrel and the front on the target like normal

when i figured that out for A 2.6 in barrel it was on target

as if the sights are ment to be that way i'll know monday when i call and ask about it to the company. also you have to love a full lifetime warrenty that comes with the gun for things like this
    will keep you updated on how it go's

or if any questions let me know

Diamondback .380 Review

Thanks for the responses and reviews. However, I am sticking with a gun that is more reliable and has more stopping power. The only lightweight that I will carry will be a LCR 357.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

db380

yes i have to agree im thinking its a great backup im at 200 rounds thru it and im haveing 1 FTE every 50 rounds so glock here i come thinkn 23/27/35. time for more research

I'm going to repeat what I have said on another thread. Basically, if you google type gun you will come up with some type of problem, so how can you tell what is ever going to be a "realiable" gun.

It is all in ones opinion, I feel perfectly safe with my DB, at least it didn't fall apart when I took it out of the box.

It is all in ones opinion, I feel perfectly safe with my DB, at least it didn't fall apart when I took it out of the box.
    Now, that's a plus right there.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Not Happy With DB .380

I recently purchased a DB .380 from a local gun dealer. I did this on the high recommendation of a good friend who happens to be a retired police office. I took the DB to a local range and put 100-125 rounds through it. It started to misfire; click, click, click, bang. Click, bang and so forth. I was using everything from Blazer aluminum to Blazer brass to Winchester ammo. The gun liked the cheap aluminum best, and wouldn't even think about loading and firing my hollow point rounds (this is my choice of carry rounds). I brought it back to the gun shop. They sent it back to Diamondback who quickly replaced the firing mechanism and the extractor not the whole gun. This morning I went back to the range and got through about 75-80 assorted rounds and the same issue occured. Click, Click, bang. Back to the gun shop. I don't think I can, or would rely on this gun as a confident carry or even backup weapon. As a side note my cop buddy's DB has developed some trigger issues and he's sent his back also. I'm gonna move on to something else. Anyone have a good suggestion for a RELIABLE small frame 9mm?
    Last edited by philphotog; June 22nd, 2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to add some info

Diamondback .380 Review

Quote Originally Posted by philphotog View Post
    I recently purchased a DB .380 from a local gun dealer. I did this on the high recommendation of a good friend who happens to be a retired police office. I took the DB to a local range and put 100-125 rounds through it. It started to misfire; click, click, click, bang. Click, bang and so forth. I was using everything from Blazer aluminum to Blazer brass to Winchester ammo. The gun liked the cheap aluminum best, and wouldn't even think about loading and firing my hollow point rounds (this is my choice of carry rounds). I brought it back to the gun shop. They sent it back to Diamondback who quickly replaced the firing mechanism and the extractor not the whole gun. This morning I went back to the range and got through about 75-80 assorted rounds and the same issue occured. Click, Click, bang. Back to the gun shop. I don't think I can, or would rely on this gun as a confident carry or even backup weapon. As a side note my cop buddy's DB has developed some trigger issues and he's sent his back also. I'm gonna move on to something else. Anyone have a good suggestion for a RELIABLE small frame 9mm?
    Rohrbaugh R9, Keltec PF9 or P11.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    I have never had a problem with Cor Bon or Gold Dot. At the range I use Federal American Eagle or Lellier & Bellot. I had some problems with FTF and FTE with Blazer, PMC and UMC. I did have to send my DB back to the company after 400 rounds. They replaced the extractor rod and had it back to me in one week. I've put 200 rounds through it since I got it back with no problems.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links