Want to buy a handgun out of state - help

This is a discussion on Want to buy a handgun out of state - help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in Reno, NV last weekend and saw a Glock handgun I wanted to buy at a gunstore. This is my first hangun purchase ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was in Reno, NV last weekend and saw a Glock handgun I wanted to buy at a gunstore. This is my first hangun purchase (I'm familiar with handguns, just never owned one).

When the store owner saw my NY drivers license he refused the sale. Said I had to be a NV resident to buy a handgun from his store.

Is there anyway I can obtain a handgun out of state and have it sent to a shop/dealer in NY? I would think the shop in NY could hold it for me until I went thru the bg check or something.

But this guy in Reno, NV was flat out "NO".

VIP Member
    I think he balked at the sale because you're in NY. In most states it would be really simple... A lot of dealers won't ship to NY... check out gunbroker.com and you'll see what I mean...
    Last edited by TX-JB; April 2nd, 2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added comment..
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Yes you can. Unless NY has some funky laws... You should be able to buy if from the seller and have it sent to an FFL/dealer in your area. The FFL in your area will transfer ownership of the gun to you. Usually at a small fee.

Edit: NY has a ban on pistol magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds. So if you were looking at a G22 or G19 etc.. with 15 round magazines you might have a problem.

Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by dam294 View Post
    SNIP Unless NY has some funky laws... SNIP
    Umm Well I think that would be putting it Mildly

First get a permit in NY. It is more than a background check by the way.

In the months that you are waiting for your permit you should be able to have a handgun shipped to a local FFL, or buy one there, to be held until your permit is approved.

Depending on the county you may have to show that you have purchased or made a deposit on a handgun (kept at a dealer) before you even apply. If in the NYC area a permit is not an easy thing to get.

Depending on the county you may have to wait up to 6 months or even more for a permit.

Good luck.

bosco

NY--NY (LAWS)
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Do you have a NYS license to own a handgun? Premise or Carry Concealed...... If you do, it's possible....if you don't, forget the whole thing....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I've seen several places, even on ammo, that although it was legal to sell it and send it to someone in NY, absolutely refuse to send anything to NY or Calif. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I've seen several places, even on ammo, that although it was legal to sell it and send it to someone in NY, absolutely refuse to send anything to NY or Calif. Period.
    I think some of this is principle alone. Don't like the rules there so don't deal there.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

You need a permit in NY, minimum time 6 months to have a gun shipped to a dealer. Without a permit in NY you can not touch/rent a handgun never the less purchase. It is not like some states where you can own for target and home defense without a permit.

Unless of course you are a movie/TV personality.

Don't they sell Glocks in NY?

Hopefully I will have better luck if I happen to find something that I like when I am out in Vegas at the end of next month. I wonder if it will be easier for me since I am a LEO and whenever I buy a pistol I can walk out of the store with it that day.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

A lot of people aren't shipping to NY simply because Bloomberg is running around stirring up trouble in other States, totally out of his jurisdiction or scope of governance.

Normally it should be no problem for you to do your required State paperwork or whatever you have to do in your State, and have the one FFL in NV ship the firearm to a FFL of your choice in NY. Most dealers on the receiving end where you pick up the gun will charge you a transfer fee for doing the transaction for you in the first place but again, no big deal and no set fee so shop around for the best deal.

But again, to reiterate what others have said... A lot of dealers from other States have a bad taste in their mouth for NY and simply refuse to ship there.

BTW... a Glock, is a Glock, is a Glock... No reason why you shouldn't be able to get the same model Glock locally in NY. Even if Glock's are more expensive in your area, you'd have to consider what it will cost for shipping from Nevada and the transfer fee from the dealer you pick it up from. May end up being same price as buying locally in the end.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    Hopefully I will have better luck if I happen to find something that I like when I am out in Vegas at the end of next month. I wonder if it will be easier for me since I am a LEO and whenever I buy a pistol I can walk out of the store with it that day.
    LEO makes no difference on purchasing a handgun out of state. It has to be shipped to a FFL in your home state. You will need to take a copy of the dealer's FFL with you when you shop. Even then he may not be willing to ship it to NY because of the laws. You won't know the answer to that until you try.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by johntaylorny View Post
    I was in Reno, NV last weekend and saw a Glock handgun I wanted to buy at a gunstore...

When the store owner saw my NY drivers license he refused the sale.
    Glocks aren't exactly rare nor unique. Glocks are like McDonalds hamburgers... they're all exactly the same, and can be found anywhere. Just find a gunshop in NY.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links