Looking for a new duty gun - Page 2

Looking for a new duty gun

This is a discussion on Looking for a new duty gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jbourneidentity Glock 17, Glock 17, Glock 17... Besides, you also have magazine interchangability with your G19... Famous trainer Chuck Taylor has 140,000 ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jbourneidentity View Post
    Glock 17, Glock 17, Glock 17...

Besides, you also have magazine interchangability with your G19...

Famous trainer Chuck Taylor has 140,000 rounds through his G17 with no major parts breakages.

Good to see an LEO going with 9mm. The newer generation defensive ammo brings the 9mm to a new level (CorBon DPX, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, etc.).
    If you think the above brings the 9mm to a whole new level, check out Double Taps 115 grain ; 1400 fps out of a G17.

Out of your choices, I have a Glock, M&P and have put a few boxes thru a P226.

The M&P in .45 is the one I can shoot all day long and not be sore at he end of the day. Mine is full size and has the manual safety.

With the adjustable back straps, I was able to dial in the right feel. I also find it very easy to carry. And of course it has an accessory rail.
    In 9 mm, capacity should be compatible with the Glock.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Administrator
    Might want to take a look at the SIG 250
    Products & Services

Have you considered a Springfield XDm? I just picked one up today. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though. Feels really good in the hands. It has a capacity of 19+1 of 9mm.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    You already have a very good duty weapon, the Glock 19 with a 4" barrel.

If you need to buy something new, then I suggest the 17. You should be able to get a new Glock with the LEO price around $400.
    Proud NRA member

You might give some thought to a Sig 229 as the 226 is a bit big to carry. Either way the Sig would be my choice.

I have a Sig 229 and a G19. I love shooting both. Since you already have the G19 it makes more sense to stick with the Glock. Without the G19 I would go with the Sig. Clear as mud?
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Quote Originally Posted by jbourneidentity View Post
    Glock 17, Glock 17, Glock 17...

Besides, you also have magazine interchangability with your G19...

Famous trainer Chuck Taylor has 140,000 rounds through his G17 with no major parts breakages.

Good to see an LEO going with 9mm. The newer generation defensive ammo brings the 9mm to a new level (CorBon DPX, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, etc.).
    This makes sense to me, but if you were to add the G-26 (without light rails) why wouldn't that BUG work?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    You already have a very good duty weapon, the Glock 19 with a 4" barrel.

If you need to buy something new, then I suggest the 17. You should be able to get a new Glock with the LEO price around $400.
    What orangevol said! Why not the G19 or the G21? Are you required to carry one of the guns you asked about? The G19 or G21 would be a great duty gun.

VIP Member
    Get the SIG!

If I was back on the job I'd carry a P-226 in .40!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    Sub question can anyone compare any of the other guns to the glock. Like a said I have had many different ones in diff calibers. I know I need to shoot them but this is prelim research, my rent and shoot range is a ways away and I've been pretty busy lately.

Good info, keep rollin.
    The M&P 9 is probably more ergonomic due to the replaceable back strap. The trigger is smoother by default than a Glock. However, the Glock trigger reset is shorter so double taps are faster for me. The Glock is also easier to disassemble and has a longer track record in real world use. Size wise they are about the same. Other differences are marginal at best except that for aftermarket parts it might be easier to find things for Glock.

The Sig P226 is obviously heavier and thicker. The trigger system is a lot different in that it's a DA/SA system unless you get the DAK trigger. The DA/SA system gives you a long heavy pull on the first shot in double action and then single action for each successive shot. When you make the pistol ready the normal procedure is to press the decocker lever to lower the hammer to half cock and set it up for double action. IMO this is where the Glock and M&P excell, the same trigger pull shot to shot. The P226 holds 2 less rounds than the Glock 17 or M&P 9. Maintenance seems to be the major downfall vs a Glock or M&P here. The Sig does require a bit more attention to cleaning. I will not say it's a dramatic difference, but if it gets dirt in the works it can stop up where a Glock might still function. Also the finish is not nearly as durable as a Glock or M&P finish. It can scratch more easily and the gun is prone to rust. Marine patrol here switched to Glock a while back for that reason.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I like them all,What would I carry,If I'm working with other officers I would probably pick the same thing they are due to magazine interchangeability
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If you like the Glocks you have I'd go with another one unless one of the others on your list fits your had significantly better, you want a 26, and with two already the 17 will be very easy to transition to.

If you dislike your Glocks the M&Ps are building a good reputation, and the Sigs are supposed to have a modular design so many parts can be interchangeable similar to how many Glocks share parts. That's my .02

As mentioned, you already have a great duty weapon. The 19 was my first duty weapon with the NYPD. I also had a 17 when I got hired by another agency. Either one will serve you well.

My current dept carries 23s. I'm very pleased with it, but would have been just as pleased with a 19 or 17.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If you already have Glocks 19 and 21, why look any further? Either of them would be a fine LE pistol. I see no reason to spring for something new.

With that said, if you're set on getting something new, I'd say that the HK P2000 is worth a look.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links