Looking for a new duty gun

This is a discussion on Looking for a new duty gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I say carry the Glock 19. My duty weapon is a Glock 23 and the 19 has everything you said you were looking for. Or ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new duty gun

I say carry the Glock 19. My duty weapon is a Glock 23 and the 19 has everything you said you were looking for. Or is this just an excuse to get another gun? If that's the case stick with the Glocks and get the 17.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    The M&P 9 is probably more ergonomic due to the replaceable back strap.

Not anymore...don't forget about the Gen4 G17's out there now...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Gun for Sale - Discounts for Qualified Customers

Found this recently, seem to be really good deals!
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Not anymore...don't forget about the Gen4 G17's out there now...
    Still doesn't have a rubberized grip. Quite frankly I think they made the Glock worse, not better. The RTF feels too harsh on the hand for me.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    Ditto what others have said - the G19 is a fine duty weapon itself. I've carried that and the P228 as duty handguns (as well as the M9), and think the Glock is probably the most versatile. The Sig will be "smoother," and certainly wins in the looks department, but if you don't need one of the models you mentioned to fulfill departmental regulations, I'd just go with the G19 and maybe get a G26 as a BUG/off-duty carry option...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    The 26 is the first Glock I purchased. The other consideration was the Springfield XD. The salesman preferred the XD because he liked the cant of the grip better than the Glock, which I thought was personal preference. I recently shot the Glock for the first time. I must say, it shoots more comfortably than any semi I have ever shot, S&W, Colt, Kel-Tec. That being said, I just purchased a new Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm. I haven't fired it yet but it carries better than the Glock and it is beautiful. I've always had a soft spot for 1911's. If I were you, I'd go with the Glock. You can buy both for the price of the EMP.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    Ok everyone, I'm looking into a new duty gun. It will be carried in a retention holster in a LEO capacity daily. I will have other items on my belt so weight, mag capacity, shootability, durability are all important. Ineed a accessory rail too.

Here's the ones I'm looking at tell me your opinion and why you carry it.

Glock 17 ( I have a 19 and 21 and have had others too)
    M&P 9
    SR9
    PX4 9mm
    P226

Tell me what you think of these. I definately want a 9mm, I will have night sites, and a TLR-1 attached
    Of the ones listed, I would go with the P226, because the P228, P229, and P226 fit my hands superbly. I actually use P229s, chambered in .40 S&W, as duty/CC pistols. My agency has standardized on the forty, and spec's about half a dozen pistols from four manufacturers; we buy our own weapons. I have used SIG P229s since 2004. I used a older-style "European" P220 for my 24/7 duty/CC pistol from 1991 to 1993. I read about the DHS trials used to select the P229/P226; these are some truly tough guns.

I carried Glock G22 pistols from 2002 to 2004, after having to finally, semi-voluntarily, give up my "grandfathered" 1911 pistols. I tried to like Glocks, but my thumbs, pinkie fingers, and ring fingers are just too short to get an optimized grip on a Glock. Moreover, in my skinny hands, a Glock sits so low, my trigger finger rubs the frame during the trigger pull, in a spot that cannot readily be reduced the way a Glock's grip can be reduced. This wreaks havoc with pinpoint accuracy, and I am one of the "cops" who DOES believe in training and accuracy. However, I have nothing against Glocks, and recommend them to folks whose hands are a good fit.

I have no personal experience with the S&W M&P 9mm pistols, but the .40 versions are the present most popular choice among our new guys, in the academy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I have no personal experience with the S&W M&P 9mm pistols, but the .40 versions are the present most popular choice among our new guys, in the academy.
    To comment on this I think a lot of shooters view the M&P as the evolution of Glock. To put it another way, an M&P to some is what a Glock should have been. If that's their view, it's really ok. I myself started with a Glock and they've always worked well for me. I just don't really care for the "improvements" with the Generation 4 models. I think the grip texture is too rough, but hey I'm not going to tell you what to shoot. As long as you like it and it goes bang when you need it (and sends projectiles in the right direction) you're all set.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    I have a Sig 229 and a G19. I love shooting both. Since you already have the G19 it makes more sense to stick with the Glock. Without the G19 I would go with the Sig. Clear as mud?
    Ditto. But I have the Sig 228 and a G19. Also had a G17 before. You can't go wrong with a Glock for a duty gun.

I'm gonna try to respond to a lot of posts in one post.

I only have caliber limitations, meaning as long as the gun is a "name brand" in the common calibers 9 45 40 357 380 38 i'm ok.

I have to buy my own weapons. I am allowed to qualify with 2.

Right now I carry my 21 on duty. Too heavy. had the 30 and carried it too, traded it in for a kel tec to pocket carry.

I plan to carry the 19 this time around and want to add to my arsenal.

I used to have a 26 and money got tight so it left. I will have another and use it as a bug. I carry the 19 now off duty

I have an XD40 and carried my first year out, didn't care for the caliber and not a fan of the back strap. If you get in a really bad situation and can only fire the weapon upside down with your pinkey( leos help me out, SHTF situation, we've all heard it in training) you really have to work to depress the back strap. \

If i forgot anything ill add it
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Have you held an sr-9 ??? holds a lot more like a 1911.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The SR9 is a nice feeling gun but the trigger isn't as nice as the Glock trigger IMO. Since it will be used as a duty gun and concealment won't be an issue I say go for the G17.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I have thought about the sr9, I am leaning toward the glock as a duty gun.

Now, nowhere does it say I am not allowed to have more than one 9mm or any other cal. so tell me more about the other guns mentioned aside from the glock.

This can be a sub catagory. Lets talk about pistol sets.

Will the M&P subs accept the full size mags and how about the beretta storms will the the subs accept the full size mags too?
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Go with the G17....you are already used to the manual of arms and you can use mags across models.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

One thing to think about when considering the p226, or any Sig for that matter(p229)... the gun does not have a polymer frame, as some of the others you listed, however it doesn't have a heavy steel frame either. You may find that the Sig's aluminum frame allows you a lightweight advantage, while also giving you that more positive feeling of "heft" in your hand, being that it is an all metal gun.

I would strongly favor the Sig P-series platform, as well as some of CZ's offerings- SP-01, ect.

Some of the concerns that determine a concealment weapon for the rest of us, may not weigh as heavily for you when deciding on a duty sidearm, that does not have to be as descreet.

PS- A Sig p228 9mm would be pretty cool. small, light, and thin enough for off duty EDC, and an amazing shooter that compromizes nothing in reliability, accuracy, and has a 15rd mag capacity. Also, it uses p226 mags, which are available in higher yet capacities. just my opinion

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links