Considering P2000SK LEM. What can you tell me.

This is a discussion on Considering P2000SK LEM. What can you tell me. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have light, cheap guns. I want something of quality. Must be concealable, light, with excellent trigger. How does it compare in size and shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering P2000SK LEM. What can you tell me.

Considering P2000SK LEM. What can you tell me.

I have light, cheap guns. I want something of quality. Must be concealable, light, with excellent trigger.

How does it compare in size and shooting to say Glock 26.

2. Remove Ads

Little longer grip than the glock, I just didnt like the feel of the glock. The P2000SK is snug in my hands, any smaller and it would fall into the same class as the glock, and it probably wouldnt have bought it.

Take a smith and wesson 442, 642, 340pd. And place it over the P2000SK and you will notice something shocking, they are both the same length, and same height (If you use the larger CT grips on the smith and wesson), yet the P2000SK is skinner.

I personally am able to pocket carry mine in cargo shorts, its also light enough that I can carry it inside my waste in basketball shorts. (Using a blackhawk pocket holster) Never had it fall out and people can never tell nor would they even expect me to have a handgun in basketball shorts. I also tend to just throw this set up IWB of any shorts I am wearing, fits snug and never had it fall out and its very comfortable.

As for shooting, you have to get used to the LEM, once you do its amazing. I have only had 1 issue in over 1,500 rounds and that was a squib load.

But good luck, dont hesitate to get one its a great gun. I am looking to buy another in fact but in .357 sig.

Thumbs up

P2000SK? Two thumbs up. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    I have light, cheap guns. I want something of quality. Must be concealable, light, with excellent trigger.
    The P2000SK should fit the bill. Being of typical well-designed HK quality, you'll be pleasantly surprised, I think. It's high quality, highly concealable for a mid-sized compact, relatively light, and available in both the V2/LEM (DAO) or the V3/SA.DA trigger systems.

Your basic criteria were the same as mine, this past few months. Absolute reliability was my first criterion, plus your others. The P2000SK meets them all. Good choice.

My P2000SK 9mm V2/LEM is about 30 days old. Once I get through my break-in process for it, it's going to be my primary carry gun. I will have no problems staking my life on its ability to function as needed, when needed.

Everything good that you've heard about Heckler-Koch reliability and durability is true. HK has a strong, well-earned reputation for that. The USP line of pistols introduced everyone to HK's prowess with ambidextrous controls. The P2000 line is the logical extension of that.

As Chuck indicated, the P2000SK is a compact gun that's smaller than many guns that you probably wouldn't think of. I, too, have had a snubbie S&W revolver, tried the Glock 26 9mm, had a CZ P-01 for a long time. I've got a variety of micro 9mm's that I use as backups. But the P2000SK is going to take over as primary carry gun.

It is smaller than a S&W 442 revolver. It is less blocky than the Glock 26 and fits a bit flatter (for me) in an IWB holster. At under 22oz (unloaded), it's about the weight of the Glock 19, sized in a Glock 26 package. But with how HK has finished the curves and shape of the grip/frame, I think it rides noticeably flatter and smoother in a well-made holster than I've been able to achieve with the G26.

While it's certainly not as thin as my Kahr CW9, it does ride nearly as flat. I've got the P2000SK in a DC Special leather holster, made by Eric Larsen of H.B.E. Specialty Leatherworks. It's a stellar combination. The gun disappears on the hip, IWB. I had the holster made with a fairly low-ride, 22 forward cant. It holds the gun tightly and closely to my body, riding low enough to almost not even need a covering garment.

I personally am able to pocket carry mine in cargo shorts, its also light enough that I can carry it inside my waste in basketball shorts.
    I find the same thing. Almost small and light enough for pocket carry, though my intention is for IWB/OWB.

And its dead-nuts reliable. In nearly 500rds, I've not had a single issue. It runs like clockwork, no matter what ammo I try. I've even pulled out a box of ammo from nearly 15yrs ago that ran like a top.

Compared to shooting the Glock, IMO the P2000SK feels much more like the Glock 19 than a Glock 26. It feels like a much larger gun. After you run off 10rds within an inch or two of each other, you look down and realize what a puny little thing you've got in your hand. It's disconcerting, a bit. But in a good way!

It's also amazingly accurate. While it's no target 1911, and it's not designed to be, it'll fill a two-inch tight grouping at 10yds all day long.

The finger-extension thingy on the magazines also helps keep the hand well in control. Though it'll depend on how wide your hand is, for me it works very well to help manage the stout DoubleTap JHP 124gr +P at ~500 ft-lbs of force.

As for shooting, you have to get used to the LEM, once you do its amazing.
    For folks who dearly love the single-action nature of the 1911, DAO's can be hard to get comfortable with. But if DAO is your thing, I think you'll be able to quickly realize that the HK LEM is a good one.

It's fairly smooth, even though it's far longer of a pull than I was prepared to handle. The pull is consistent, from round to round. After the first half-dozen magazines' worth of ammo, I found that I was forgetting the gun was "special" with its LEM pull. Personally, I'd prefer the pull to be a tad lighter. IIRC, the factory V2/LEM pull weight is 7.3 lbs. There are two other options for LEM pull weight: 6.2 lbs, or 4.5 lbs. You'll need to replace the Trigger Return Spring (TRS) and the Firing Pin Block Spring, or you can send it into HK for the swap (~$65 or so, plus the springs).

Think of the trigger pull of the Kahr K9, P9 or CW9, only quite a bit longer, and far smoother.

I have found that my trigger finger pulls back on the trigger until a certain amount of tension exists, then pulls through that shorter "final" zone. I think of it simply as a fairly long "take up," in a sense. In that way, the trigger pull ends up feeling much like any other DAO I've used. Not everyone will like it, perhaps, but it's a decent way to avoiding decockers and safeties, while still allowing a good margine of safety to guard against AD/ND.

I am looking to buy another in fact but in .357 sig.
    I seriously considered going the .357 SIG route. Actually put out a WTB ad for either .357 SIG or 9mm. Opted to stick with the 9mm I have been using for the past 17yrs. Of all the pistols that I have ever considered for .357 SIG, the HK USP or P2000 would be the guns I would pick for it.

It's utterly competent and reliable. It feels heavily engineered, far stronger than what's needed, with a rock-solid feel to it. Typical "German" feel of being well engineered. Most Porsche cars have this special feeling about them.

The ambidextrous slide release is a joy. Very easy to use, easy to manipulate from either side.

The ambidextrous magazine release is my only sore spot. Based on the size of my hand, the angle my fingers need to employ in order to activate the mag release makes the button hard to use. The leverage is simply far harder than I would prefer, but that's because of my hand (and an old injury). The design is sweet, allowing release of the magazine by either hand, easily. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to preferring the 1911-style release catch, but the HK design works well. You pull down and inward on the release catch, to eject a magazine.

A few nice features ... It'll fire even without the magazine out. The slide locks back after firing the last round. The magazines somehow avoid the "pinch" you get from other guns/mags.

And the coating/finish seems highly durable. While I'm only 500rds into it, so far, many of the minor scratches, scuffs and other "kisses" you might expect on a well-used range gun simply don't exist. It's clean as a whistle. Nice to know that the finish is going to hold up well to long years of holstered carry. Not all finishes do.

I'd love to have it seriously stippled, to make it a bit grippier, stickier. It's not bad the way it is, but I tend to love 18 lpi checkered hardwood, or ~25-30 lpi checkering of the steel frontstrap and backstrap that 1911's have. I like a "sticky" grip. A more aggressive and rougher stippling will do that. One nice thing about plastic frames is that I should be able to add this at some point in the future.

But good luck, dont hesitate to get one its a great gun.
    Absolutely! Exceptional gun. I would absolutely recommend it. I'll soon be carrying it, which should say even more about how strongly I value the reliability.

If you're wondering about the HK P2000SK V2/LEM, I would recommend giving it a try. Shoot it at the range, before buying, if you're able, though realize that in a few hundred rounds you'll be thinking of it differently. Nicely, the gun exists in both SA/DA flavor and the LEM/DAO flavor. Whichever works for you.

Buy it! You'll love the P2000SK.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have the P2000sk in DA/SA and a P2000 in LEM. I personally prefer the LEM, BUT I have shot Sigs DA/SA for a long time and that may be why. I also recently commented on the reduced recoil of the P2000sk's dual stage recoil spring which is great.

I have 3 H&Ks and they have been accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot. Just remember no lead bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    Just remember no lead bullets.
    Polygonal rifling.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

los
    ccw9mm, that's an exceptional, in-depth wriiten reply full of extremely valuable information.

Thanks.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

The previous detailed posts are very on target. I have the P2000sk .40 with LEM trigger. Only I have the two springs changed for a 4.5# trigger pull for each and every round. Same for my fullsize USP .45. The SK is my daily carry and I love it! You can get the springs for about $12-15 and change them yourself if you're good working with tiny things. Changing these springs makes a huge positive difference.

Rivers:

Can you compare the feel of the 7.3 lbs pull with that of the 4.5 lbs pull? How would you describe the difference? For people still wanting to retain much of the safety elements of the LEM (since that's the whole point, really), what would you think about the "middle" option, the 6.2 lbs choice of springs?

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    I have the P2000sk .40 with LEM trigger. Only I have the two springs changed for a 4.5# trigger pull for each and every round.

You can get the springs for about $12-15 and change them yourself if you're good working with tiny things. Changing these springs makes a huge positive difference.

For people wanting to DIY swap the springs to the "light" LEM, here is a write-up from gunsmith Teddy Jacobsen that shows the basic steps he used to swap them. It's about 3-1/2 years old, but it should still apply. This covers the P2000, P2000SK and USP pistols: click.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Rivers:

Can you compare the feel of the 7.3 lbs pull with that of the 4.5 lbs pull? How would you describe the difference? For people still wanting to retain much of the safety elements of the LEM (since that's the whole point, really), what would you think about the "middle" option, the 6.2 lbs choice of springs?

For people wanting to DIY swap the springs to the "light" LEM, here is a write-up from gunsmith Teddy Jacobsen that shows the basic steps he used to swap them. It's about 3-1/2 years old, but it should still apply. This covers the P2000, P2000SK and USP pistols: click.
    My P2000sk came with the 8# trigger and no external safety lever. As I got used to the LEM, I contacted HK about converting my full-size USP .45 to the LEM also. They recommended going to the light 4.5# trigger. I was concerned that it would be unsafe but they assured me it would be fine. Within a few rounds at the range with the USP and it's standard LEM sibling P2000sk, I understood. Soon after that, I participated in a Bruce Gray shooting workshop. Since Bruce used to shoot for HK, I discussed it with him. 30 minutes later, my SK had it's new springs installed in site. ( I had ordered the right springs for the SK when Hk had my Usp.) even BG commented that my USP trigger was very good.

The setup is very safe, smooth and predictable at the range as well as concealed carry, even without an external safety lever. In fact, This has set the bar for how I rate all my other handguns.

Bottom line? Do it and don,t look back. It's a great trigger configuration. I know that if I miss my target, it's on me, not my HK's. Well, maybe crappy ammo because those HK's will shoot whatever I feed them. Yeah, it's the ammo's fault.

Wow! Great responses! Better than I expected. Great information. The comparisons are especially helpful. I was concerned about the longer pull on the LEM but sounds like a little shooting will train my finger.

After posting this thread, I found another write up and the author said that by not releasing the trigger fully, it eliminated the long pull on follow up shoots. Similar to a traditional DA/SA. Did I read that right?

I see a H&K P2000SK in my future. Now where to get the funds! Oh well...guess I'll pull something out of the safe I don't shoot...

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    i had Bill Springfield do a trigger job on all my LEM pistols Two P2K's and a P2KSK.
    They are close to perfect.

+1 on Bill Springfield. You only have to ship the frame and $69 and he sends it back in about 10 days. Great job and very reasonable. Much better than digging around the mechanics that the German gnomes created.

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    After posting this thread, I found another write up and the author said that by not releasing the trigger fully, it eliminated the long pull on follow up shoots. Similar to a traditional DA/SA. Did I read that right?
    That's correct. When you fire a pistol and keep the trigger fully depressed, then slowly release it, the trigger will soon reach its reset point. On the LEM, it feels like a small click. At that point, the next round can be fired. Releasing the trigger fully is not necessary, even counterproductive to shooting speed and accuracy. Good trigger control pays dividends.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I carried a P2000 with LEM trigger for a bit. I wish I had one of my own. It was my favorite carry gun.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links