Show me your gun safe

This is a discussion on Show me your gun safe within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; WOW! Thanks for the info and ideas. I think I will look into a used one and see what I can find, I have about ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Show me your gun safe

WOW!
    Thanks for the info and ideas.

I think I will look into a used one and see what I can find, I have about $1000.00 to spend and I don't want to through this again

The link on How to buy a safe was very detailed.

Whatever I decide I will let all know.

2. Remove Ads

YouTube - Security on Sale Gun safe Prying video
    Careful about thems low end safes and how you install them. Just some food for thought..

I have a couple of Brownings, one short, one tall...
    You might want to start here... Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    Buy bigger than you think you need.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I picked one up at Walmart as a theft deterrent not so much fire. The quality fire safes are very high priced. The Walmart safe was just over $200 and I have 12 handguns and 2 rifles as well as some ammo and jewelry in it. Surprisingly you can get a decent one at Lowes with adjustable shelves and under $400.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    I picked one up at Walmart as a theft deterrent not so much fire. The quality fire safes are very high priced. The Walmart safe was just over $200 and I have 12 handguns and 2 rifles as well as some ammo and jewelry in it. Surprisingly you can get a decent one at Lowes with adjustable shelves and under $400.
    You are kidding yourself. Your $200 "safe" will keep the kids out and that's about it. Any thief with a crowbar will be in it in minutes, if not seconds. The stuff sold at HD and Lowes is better than nothing, but they won't stop a thief for long. And if you don't lag-bolt the safe to the walls and/or floor, they'll just walk out the house with it and crack it at their leisure.

My Ft. Knox safe weighs 700 pounds empty (about 1,100 loaded) and it is bolted to both the floor and the wall behind it.

Fire-rated or not, if one wants secure storage, one had better be prepared to either spend some real dollars for a new one or find a used safe from a reputable locksmith.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I'd rather not publicly show it
    Other folks outside this forum can see this stuff, so I will respectfully decline....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I'm still looking for the out of business bank I can pick up on the cheap. Yeah it would be like a gun safe with a house build around it... sweeeet
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

For the record, the safe I use is a Fort Knox; it weighs 1300lbs unloaded and is bolted into the slab..... Here is a video done by Firepower TV that says it all.....

YouTube - Fort Knox Gun Safes Torture test
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I Ain't Skeered.

I keep one small one with carry guns loaded.

And one with most everything else.

Reloaded and range ammo doesn't go in the big one, it is kept in ammo cans elsewhere. Just factory ammo goes in the safe.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I'm still looking for the out of business bank I can pick up on the cheap. Yeah it would be like a gun safe with a house build around it... sweeeet
    Actually, there was a bank vault for FREE near my house to whom ever wanted it! The building was torn down and gone. The vault was left in place on the slab foundation and was offered to anyone who wanted to haul it off. I actually considered taking the vault door but it was simply too much work, money, etc. Besides, I had no idea what to do with it afterwards, except maybe sell it. Anyway, someone ended up taking it, and most likely had it built into their new house or whatever.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Liberty Gun safes

I have a Liberty 40 long gun safe that weighs 1250 lbs bolted to the floor.

i have a ft. knox safe - Gun Safes, Fort Knox: Americas Best Made Gun Safes, Hand Gun, Fireproof, Home and Vault Doors it's absolutely fantastic and well worth the money. if you go this route, i'm happy to put you in touch with the retailer i worked with.

Quote Originally Posted by dearhead View Post
    I have a Liberty 40 long gun safe that weighs 1250 lbs bolted to the floor.
    +1 on the Liberty safes. Great warranty. If your house burns down or someone tries to pry into it they will replace it with a new one. Need to upgrade I think they give you full value for what you paid and get a bigger one

+2 on Liberty Safes. I own a Presidential, and it weighs around 1300 lbs., so it isn't going anywhere and has the best fire protection on the market. Of course, I also have a bottle of Crown Royal in there just in case that fire protection is called upon one day and all I have left in my house is the safe! :) :)

Liberty Safe - Presidential
    Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." - Ted Nugent

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eldorado View Post
    Can you folks give me some advice

Thanks
    Be safe
    Sad to say I have some experience with fires and gun safes. I've been promising that I'll post a thread and pictures based on my recent experience, but can't do it right now.

Here are some ideas/observations regarding your safe and a fire:

1. Try to locate your safe at or near a perimeter wall, I think it might be a bit "cooler" there, rather than locating your safe toward the middle of a burning building, where it's probably hotter.

2. Don't completely trust the "fire resistance" in the ability to keep your guns unharmed , I'd say store your guns in some sort of padded case within the safe. The cases are an added layer of protection and it can be significant.

3. Safes typically have a large shelf at the top, most people typically store their handguns there. Personally I think the large shelf should be at the bottom, with the long guns on top of it, and the handguns down at the bottom of the safe. It's "cooler" down there, granted it's inconvenient, but dollar for dollar and considering their shape and small size I believe it's a better place.

4. Don't store any appreciable amount of ammo in your safe, it'll probably cook off during a fire adding to the havoc inside the safe with more heat, smoke and soot, and maybe bullet dings on your guns.

5. After a serious fire, your safe will be trashed, plus you won't be able to get in it quickly since the combo knobs, etc will not work or fall off.

6. I think fire resistant safes essentially are lined with one layer of drywall (firerock?). Expect the shelves, pretty cloth lining and the drywall to be ruined. I'd definitely would rather have a safe lined with TWO layers of drywall.

7. If I were building or remodeling a house, I'd rather have a customized walk-in safe room or closet for guns etc. though that can be expensive. If not, I'd consider a beefed up walk-in closet that is heavily insulated, and put my fire resistant safe in that beefed up room. I think in a fire the insulated room would deter the time the safe is exposed to some high heat, certainly it'll all eventually burn, but I think buy your safe less "fire time".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links