Show me your gun safe

This is a discussion on Show me your gun safe within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have accumulated over 8 Handguns and by june I should have 10+. and I have my eye on a home defense shotgun & a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show me your gun safe

Show me your gun safe

I have accumulated over 8 Handguns and by june I should have 10+.
    and I have my eye on a home defense shotgun & a DPMS Panther RAPTR $1649.00 or a Ruger SR-556 $1500.00 not sure...

So I thought it might be time to look at a "real" safe

Gander has a few in the $1000.00 range and are rated,

12-gauge steel body with 1" composite door

UL security rated 3-sided bolt coverage

11 all-active bolts including the top of the door

80,000 BTUs rating; 45 minutes at 1200°

Can you folks give me some advice

Thanks
    Be safe

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    If I had the money, probably get one of these: Handgun and Long Gun Safes | Zanotti Armor®

Here is a page that describes stuff to get in a safe: Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Well, mine is hidden behind a false wall so I'd rather not publicly show it, as that would defeat the purpose...but maybe it will give you an idea. :)
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Great for handguns, not so great for shotguns

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Well, mine is hidden behind a false wall so I'd rather not publicly show it, as that would defeat the purpose...but maybe it will give you an idea. :)
    I'm with you, a hidden safe is better than a more expensive safe that's easy to find.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

sams club has a liberty centurion for around $700. I think i got it for $682???? For now...... i have 4 handguns and 3 rifles.... lots more room.....lol
    Attached Images
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

VIP Member
    There is an awesome looking safe at the local gun shop, and it actually looks like a HUMMER, with a built-in cargo rack on top. It has exposed finished bolts and hardware with an interior to die for. Unfortunately, I completely forgot the name of it, but it’s the most beautiful safe I’ve ever seen.

Now for the rest of the story… I had an old boring battleship gray commercial safe from a business that went out of business. It was built like a tank, was fire rated with layered plate steel with a file drawer, and was certified to commercial banking standards. No frills, no custom car paint or trendy logo that yelled gun! In fact, the safe pictured above by 'PSLOwner' is a good example of what a commercial safe may look like. The one I had was certainly more aged and scruffy.

Anyway, I ended up selling it with some reservation and to this day I sorta regret it. I was thinking if I moved to new location, it would be a real pain to drag along. Anyway, depending on your budget, needs, and desires, I recommend you visit a high-end locksmith shop and see what old used safes they may have available. They will be built better than most gun safes on the market although not near as ‘pretty’.
    Last edited by Saber; April 4th, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I agree, a lot of locksmith will have good used safes...of course you can go to Wal-Mart, Lowes, or Sam's club and get the $399 ones that are fine but not really firesafe or that great of a theft deterrent but otherwise acceptable
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

stock photo

stock photo. but same as mine. good safes
    Attached Images
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Costco $200 off with delivery included Costco - Sentry®Safe 34.8 CUFT Executive Firearm Fire Safe 4294965634&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Tex t_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&D= safes&Ntt=safes&No=8&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty= 1&topnav=&s=1

Had it since September and the warranty is replacement. Fullfills my needs, in addition to two safes actually in the house.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Really good gun safes cost thousands. I lucked up and found an older AmSec (American Security) safe through my local locksmith. Internal hinges, 12 point active bolts, spring loaded tilt throw bolt. It's probably 15+ years old, but built like a tank.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I wish the one in my avatar was mine :( but mine is not as full and is not fireproof. i think i paid like 150 for mine.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

VIP Member
    Yeah right! That avatar safe looks like' around 30k of goodness.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Here's a tip: buy larger than you think you need!

Another thought: If your safe doesn't have to be a piece of furniture (i.e., if appearance isn't important), consider getting a used one from a moving and storage company. Moving costs are based on weight as well as distance, and safes are heavy so they often get left behind. A friend got an enormous, double-door, horizontal safe with roll-out drawers (as if for storing maps flat) for $200 and a $200 delivery charge. It's the size of a small dumpster and sits in his garage, hidden from casual view by some steel shelving.

Lastly: a friend at work and I both bought safes around the same time two years ago, and each came with a top-end Sargent + Greenleaf electronic lock. Both of us had lock problems shortly after delivery, and now we both have conventional combination locks. S+G makes great stuff, but I have nearly zero faith in electronic locks.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I bought the Costco safe that is on sale right now last time they had it. I think it's a fine safe and the cost is certainly right. For the number of firearms you have it should do you fine with plenty of room for growth. It's got a great warranty and pretty good customer service, plus won't break the bank.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links