How much of a weight difference is significant? - Page 3

How much of a weight difference is significant?

This is a discussion on How much of a weight difference is significant? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As others have suggested, it's a subjective call. For me, the excellence of the belt and holster make all the difference. Personally, I don't much ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much of a weight difference is significant?

As others have suggested, it's a subjective call.

For me, the excellence of the belt and holster make all the difference. Personally, I don't much like anything above ~30oz unloaded. Beyond that, it begins to weight on me. But, knock another 10oz off the load, and I don't much notice it. Too light, and I don't get to carry the caliber or the number of rounds that I want. So, ~25-30oz it is.

For me, the difference would have to be a pound or more, of the full load of all gear, to really matter. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    I am finding that thin-ness/width of the firearm is as important as "weight". With the thinner single stacks, you obviously get less ammo. But, when you fill up a big double stack magazine it is also much heavier, so do have her consider that if she goes for thicker gun due to the amount of ammo. Try it on fully loaded. Ouch.

I agree that it is personal, I keep hearing from the husband that S&W Jframe ss 38 revolver is "not much heavier to carry than the LCR". Honestly I have to count to ten every time he says it.

Heavier guns feel like they are bruising my hip bones. Maybe this is a good use for those old mom jeans in the closet, they ride higher.

Ruger-Cougar Girl I don't know how you do that. Awesome. You are way tougher than me.

I'd still like to know why the venerable G26 still isn't a choice.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Questions: How does your daughter feel about all this?

Is she pro gun on her own or doing it to please you?

Has she shot any of the guns that you listed for her?

Comment: Being the father of 5 grown children I have learned not think for them, but to encourage and offer help when ask.

Wife and daughter and three daughter in laws have all picked their own hand guns and are very happy with, they are not the firearms I would have necessary picked but I am not the one carrying them or shooting them.
    Daughter "gets it", and has prepared by taking the class, taking and doing well in Krav Maga, and going out to shoot (on her own initiative) with college pals using her own Bersa 380CC. I would consider her to be pro-carry, though not perhaps as much as I am. She *does* try to please us, but she's also her own woman.

She has not fired any of the guns I've listed. My whole idea in building a list is to direct her to the top few that meet her criteria and which I think would be good choices. She then visits the gun shop(s) to try them on, and if she likes the fit I then try and find one to rent. Or find someone here who might help (BugDude, for instance, lives nearby and has kindly offered to let her fire his Taurus Slim). I hope to find others with the firearms she's interested in as well, perhaps to the point of making a range appointment and buying a lane for the owner in exchange for the trial.

Any purchase will certainly it be of her choice, and heck, if she carries ANYTHING I will be thrilled. But she's a full-time student at a very demanding college and has no time to do the research, so I've appointed myself as her 'trim-the-list-using-specs' person.

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    I'd still like to know why the venerable G26 still isn't a choice.
    Well, it certainly is now! I was under the impression that it was thicker than she would want to carry and I may have been mistaken on that. Any shop worth its salt will have one for her to try, so I'll be sure to encourage her to try one on. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    According to the Kahr website, the PM9 loaded is 15.9 oz and the P380 is 12.1 oz loaded, so less than 4 oz difference.

Of course, that may vary a "skosh" depending on the grain weights of the bullets in associated ammo types, but that's so small as to be considered negligible.
    Check the site again - PM9 / 14 oz + Empty mag / 1.9 oz = 15.9 sans ammo. The ammo adds a significant amount of weight - I'd say another 2 oz easily.
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by artificialgrey View Post
    Check the site again - PM9 / 14 oz + Empty mag / 1.9 oz = 15.9 sans ammo. The ammo adds a significant amount of weight - I'd say another 2 oz easily.
    Unlike so many on the internet who are "experts", I can actually say this...

Oops, my mistake. Sorry for misinterpreting the weights as I thought 15.9 oz was the whole shebang.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    I am finding that thin-ness/width of the firearm is as important as "weight". With the thinner single stacks, you obviously get less ammo. But, when you fill up a big double stack magazine it is also much heavier, so do have her consider that if she goes for thicker gun due to the amount of ammo. Try it on fully loaded. Ouch.

I agree that it is personal, I keep hearing from the husband that S&W Jframe ss 38 revolver is "not much heavier to carry than the LCR". Honestly I have to count to ten every time he says it.

Heavier guns feel like they are bruising my hip bones. Maybe this is a good use for those old mom jeans in the closet, they ride higher.

Ruger-Cougar Girl I don't know how you do that. Awesome. You are way tougher than me.
    Actually the reverse is what works for me. Try pants that ride just slightly lower. If the bottom edge of the belt is resting at the top on the hip bone, you'll really feel the weight of whatever you're carrying.
    Sometimes just a fraction of an inch will make the difference, but if the bottom edge of the belt is just below the top edge of the bone, the weight seems to be spread around the hip, not digging into the edge of the bone.
    I had some of those "mommy jeans" and with my short torso they came up to the bottom edge of my ribcage, not so comfy that way. Unfortunately something went wrong at the factory when my body was assembled, they put tall person arms and legs on the short person frame.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Unfortunately something went wrong at the factory when my body was assembled, they put tall person arms and legs on the short person frame.
    This might not be that uncommon. My ex-wife was about an inch shorter than me. I am 5'-7, but the point of her hip was about two inches higher than mine. I think most women have proportionally longer legs than the same height man. It may have something to do with the shape of the pelvis, which I believe is the main method used by forensics experts to determine male or female skeletons. (I'm sure someone will confirm or disprove this.)

So as to not completely thread jack the thread, I feel that 6-8 0z seems to be an amount that would be noticable. It probably also depends on the base range of weight your in. Going from 12 ounces to 16 is a 33% increase but starting at 25 ounces, 4 more ounces is only 16%. Less than half the difference it the amount of increase.

I'm 6'3" and 275#..........anything over a pound in my pocket gets annoying. I carry either a S&W 340 in cold weather or Ruger LCP in warm weather depending upon my dress for the day. I don't carry extra ammo on me. I also carry a pocketknife and small flashlight on my keys. This is my EDC. If I was expecting trouble I would carry an M-14, wear body armor and have a chem suit handy.

My rule is nothing heavier than 2 lbs. fully loaded, and nothing heavier than 1.5 lbs. IWB - FOR ME.

I believe that a proper carry gun is thin, has a thin single column magazine and is as light as possible while being 9mm or larger in caliber. 7 or 8 rounds in a handgun is fine with me, I like to carry extra magazines anyway and have no problem changing them. I do not like to carry double stack mags, as they are thick and much harder to conceal, same goes for double stack handguns.

I would say that a thick gun is harder to carry than a heavy gun. So I wold rather carry a 1911 than a Glock 20, but I would rather not carry either.

The light and thin options are limited and not as desirable to shoot on the range compared to their larger, heavier counterparts, however - I will actually carry my Kahr's ALL the time. My advice to your Daughter is to get good at shooting the gun she can stand to carry every day regardless of what that is.

i have a p64 and a pf9 there is about 10 0z differences between them. baker (p64) will sag my pants however charlie(pf9) wont. i also forget that charlie is there but baker well i know when i carry him.

I'd say about 4 - 5 oz. My primary carry is a Ruger LCR about 13.5 oz. (unloaded). Even loaded the LCR is light and easy to carry.

I also have a Kahr CW9 about 18oz unloaded, but when loaded, I would say is about 5 oz heavier than the LCR loaded. To me, wearing it after a couple hours, I'm ready to take it off. I'm waiting to try another holster with it. To see if that makes a difference.

I also have a Springfield XD40sc. Unloaded it's approximately 26oz. Even with the 9 round magazine loaded and one in the chamber. Too much weight for me. Not to mention I have a problem concealing a gun that size.
    I'm 5' 8" and weigh 140lbs.

The XD40sc is about to go on the for sale block to get a Kahr PM9.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

It's funny. The only rule that I have is NO LIGHTWEIGHTS. I like to shoot my guns.

My baseline is G23 + two spares. I also carry the 27, M&P40, 1911 commander in steel, and several revolvers. The only carry gun that is definitely heavier than all others is my 44 Redhawk four inch. Needless to say it isn't carried anywhere near as much as the others.

I'd agree that four ounces is enough to be perceptible.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    At what point should one consider a difference in weight to be significant for 'carryability'?

I have been following the 'smallest 9mm' thread with great interest on behalf of my tiny daughter who will soon be carrying. I've also been poking around looking at small 45s. Her ability to conceal the weapon is paramount, so I'm thinking single stack and am comparing dimensions (I think .25" is significant; I do not think .015 is significant, for instance) and weight (here's where I need help).

For those of you who have the experience with multiple weapons for concealed carry: at what point would YOU say, "Heck, that's about the same weight" versus "Well, that one there's significantly heavier"?

Probably recommendations for specific weapons should be posted on the "smallest 9mm" thread since others will be more likely to see them there (or post in both places), but I would love your thoughts on how heavy is 'heavier'.

Note that my short list for her consideration at this point includes the tiniest of 45s, Kahr CW9, Taurus Slim, KelTec PF9, Ruger LCP, KelTec P3AT, and Diamondback 380, with my leanings being towards the CW9. It will be her decision, of course: I'm just getting a list of what I want her to be sure to try on.
    This may be the most loaded question you can ask on this forum because you will get such a wide variety of answers. I have seen time and time again where people post how comfortable it is to CC a full size 1911 or something like a G17 with a 20 round mag IWB. Oh and I forgot, they are normally five foot six and one hundred and forty five pounds. If you want an honest answer, it can be done, but you will tend to find that those guns make out of the house less and less as time goes by.

Weight, thickness and size does matter (just ask the ladies ). This is something that us gentlemen can learn from the ladies, as they tend to check their ego's at the door and carry what they need.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by phair12 View Post
    i have a p64 and a pf9 there is about 10 0z differences between them. baker (p64) will sag my pants however charlie(pf9) wont. i also forget that charlie is there but baker well i know when i carry him.
    "Baker" and "Charlie"? "Him"?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links