How much of a weight difference is significant?

This is a discussion on How much of a weight difference is significant? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Too much weight to carry? It depends on the individual and the belt and holster, but I see no problem with a 40 oz gun ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How much of a weight difference is significant?

Too much weight to carry? It depends on the individual and the belt and holster, but I see no problem with a 40 oz gun (full sized steel 1911 or a Sig P220). However, too little weight and recoil rears it's uncomfortable head.

Once I get a bit used to a 40 oz gun, I don't even notice the weight being there.

Ken

2. Remove Ads

In my opinion; too little weight= too much recoil, too much weight= difficult carry or conceal. Most important [B]HER Decision. Beg borrow or well let her try as many as possible.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    It's not a question that's so easily clear-cut, IMHO.

For OWB or duty carry (ie: not concealed), I don't think there's much to be gained by having a small & light handgun. I think a handgun over 32 oz. would/is heavy. Having said that, my duty gun is a Glock 21 (With +2 exts).

While it's an excellent gun, I do notice conceal carrying a Springfield XD9SC more than a Glock 26/27/36. I don't notice a difference, weightwise, on carrying my PT709 SLIM compared to the G26, although it's thinness & longer grip W/O a mag ext. is nice for me.

So, I would say around 32 oz. for OWB carry. I'd say around 20 oz. for IWB carry (Give or take a couple oz). For extreme conceal carry, like pocket carry, I've really appreciated some of very lightweight handguns out there. My favorite & the one I use/carry, is the Kel-Tec P-32. At well under 1/2 lb. empty & around 10 oz. or so loaded, it can be carried in any pocket W/O problems (Back pocket, front pants, cargo pocket, etc).

The caveat here, though, is a good holster definitely improves on the comfort of said gun, regardless of its weight.

Also, when you get lighter & smaller, you're definitely compromising. Short "point-shoot" distances should be expected with the little ones, while PS or aimed fire definitely improves with the larger ones. I can't say that I've noticed a big difference in recoil control up to about 30-32 oz. & up. Once they're up in that size & weight, they seem to soak up recoil pretty well.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrinblujns View Post
    In my opinion; too little weight= too much recoil, too much weight= difficult carry or conceal. Most important [B]HER Decision. Beg borrow or well let her try as many as possible.
    Generally speaking, I would agree with you.

Though, of all pistols I have ever shot, there is one that sticks out like a sore thumb, in which it does not seem to follow the general wisdom: the Kahr PM9. This pistol can readily handle hot 9mm loads and still be fairly easy to handle and continue to be very accurate. It defies the normal light=bad concept, with micro-sized pistols.

In the case of the PM9, a lot has to do with the width of the backstrap. IMO, it is just wide enough to distribute the load and snap of the recoil across much of the palm of the hand, and just tall enough to allow the full hand to have decent control of the gun (at least, with one of the little Pearce pinky extender floor plates on the magazine).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just a personal observation about pocket carrying and weight difference. I have a Kel-tec P3AT as well as a Interarms PPK. If I am wearing pants with a belt or jeans, I can carry either one very discreetly. But if I am wearing sweat pants or shorts without a belt, the kel-tec is light enough to pocket carry, the PPK isn't. The pocket sag or the PPK bounces around too much in the pocket. Simple case of steel versus plastic. The PPK is about 25oz and the keltec is about 11oz. It's one of the reasons I bought the P3AT.

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    Wow, tokerblue. I'm sorry (and, frankly, a bit "hmmm") that you find a tiny PM9 "too heavy" to pocket carry as I'd believe "thickness/size" before "weight". Seriously, how much heaver really is a 6+1 PM9 over a 6+1 P380? P380 loaded is a hair over 12 oz and the PM9 is a hair under 16 oz, loaded as well. Less than four ounces in weight difference overall...loaded. I wouldn't even notice the difference. The slightly larger thickness of the PM9? Sure, but definitely not something to worry about at all.

Are y'all that weak up in CT now? Just kidding. I lived for years over near Waterbury...and absolutely hated it. LOL
    I think you will find the PM9 is 20 oz. loaded it's a hair under 16 oz. (15.9 oz.) EMPTY Now we are talking about 8 oz. difference.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    And that's what I wanted to hear: tokerblue thinks 4 ounces is significant, targus does not. That's suggestive that somewhere around 4 ounces is where I ought to consider it significant. Thanks, guys!

I also am a firm believer in 'what fits her' and 'what she wants' - I was just hoping to rule out Desert Eagles and the Dirty Harry revolvers, and give her a list to use when trotting around to the gun shops.

Welcoming more responses, too... keep 'em coming!
    ^^^I think you are on the right track.
    See if the gun shops will allow here to carry empty weapons in holsters in the shop to get a feel.
    I agree with the Kahr, or the K tec.
    No to the .380
    some women may need all the edge they can get and I think the .380 should be relegated to experienced shooters who WILL not crack under pressure and will remain focused, for COM shot.
    Too much margin for error.JMHO

"Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Generally speaking, I would agree with you.

Though, of all pistols I have ever shot, there is one that sticks out like a sore thumb, in which it does not seem to follow the general wisdom: the Kahr PM9. This pistol can readily handle hot 9mm loads and still be fairly easy to handle and continue to be very accurate. It defies the normal light=bad concept, with micro-sized pistols.

In the case of the PM9, a lot has to do with the width of the backstrap. IMO, it is just wide enough to distribute the load and snap of the recoil across much of the palm of the hand, and just tall enough to allow the full hand to have decent control of the gun (at least, with one of the little Pearce pinky extender floor plates on the magazine).
    Interesting: I have not shot the Kahr PM9 but now I would like to try it.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Regarding Kahrs - anyone know how similar a PM9 and a CW9 are so far as recoil goes? Of course I want her to carry NOW rather than save-to-buy-a-more-expensive-weapon-LATER, but it may be wise to wait. Thoughts?

(Again, I ain't makin' no decisions for her: I'm setting limits on what I'll pay for and I'm providing her options to consider. So far we had not considered the PM9... maybe we should.)
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Regarding Kahrs - anyone know how similar a PM9 and a CW9 are so far as recoil goes?
    Sure. I've had both. Surprisingly, Kahr got the PM9 right, when speaking of recoil management. It acts like a much, much larger pistol. While the CW9 does handle the recoil a bit better, to this day I am still amazed by how comfortable, well-behaved and accurate the PM9 is, even with a couple hundred of the hottest loads at an extended range session.

I wouldn't worry about it, much. The PM9 is every bit the width of the CW9 and P9, in terms of spreading the load of recoil against the palm of your hand. Of course, it's not quite as high, and that does affect things somewhat. But the PM9 is, IMO, much more similar to the CW9 in terms of recoil and "snap" than it is different.

If that's all that is keeping you from acquiring a PM9, don't let it do so. Give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Highly recommended.

My only issue is related to the reliability. Mine was a bit of a lemon, until finally tuned by Kahr at their shop. But by then I had lost confidence. Many folks, though, report flawless reliability. I'll get another, at some point. The package is simply too good to ignore. There isn't anything else quite like it on the market.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I can’t even begin to explain the frustration of finding that sweet spot gun that fits, shoots and conceal carries like a dream. Frankly, I don’t think it exists in my world, but its fun trying… Besides, if I ever do find it, my hobby would be over!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

this TOTALLY depends on the individual, but a good belt and holster can make all the difference in the world.

a 50-52oz loaded EDC weapon isnt a problem for me at all.
    (baer heavyweight monolith or TRP operator all winter long)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links