Taurus or Charter Arms?

This is a discussion on Taurus or Charter Arms? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy all! I have been lurking on this site for a good six months and, until last week, I had made up my mind to ...

View Poll Results: Taurus or Charter Arms Snubbie?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Taurus 85UL .38 spl

42 52.50%
  • Charter Arms "On Duty" .38 spl

38 47.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus or Charter Arms?

Taurus or Charter Arms?

Howdy all!
    I have been lurking on this site for a good six months and, until last week, I had made up my mind to purchase a compact 9mm auto for carry. Due to current financial limitations, I have not actually purchased the gun. Then, out of nowhere, I got bit by the snubby bug! Lots of factors: My mother and sister (who have very little firearms experience) would both to be able to use it/shoot with me, the snnubby would be just plain cool to have, and I really think they look good. From what I've ever heard anyone say, they are 99.99% reliable and that is a big factor as well.
    All that said, I am looking specifically at the Taurus 85UL series and the Charter Arms "On Duty" revolvers. Please post opinions and/or reviews of these two carry guns.
    I know I'll get alot of "just get a used smith&wesson" but I really don't like the way they fit my hand so these are the two that i'm leaning towards. Thanks to all in advance!

Zach (a.k.a. cc9mm)
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: Hot Damn! What a Ride!

Gen3 G19
    Taurus TCP
    Ruger 22/45

2. Remove Ads

gtv
    I voted Charter Arms, simply as a result of the experiences two of my family members have had with the two manufacturers. My mother had a Taurus Titanium .38 Special that she bought about 6 years ago, and after sending it back on two separate occasions for repair (something was binding up in the internals, causing the cylinder to lock up), she finally traded it in for a Bersa Thunder .380, which she still has. On the other hand, my father-in-law has a Charter Arms .38 that has had no problems at all.

Of course, both of these revolvers were manufactured several years ago, and manufacturing process may have gotten better (or worse) with time. And with any manufacturer, you may get a lemon from time to time.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I picked the 85. Paid $298 new for mines and its a very fine shooter.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

cc9mm, Seemy posted review of the On Duty. It is a great gun for the money.
    It is very easy to pocket carry, and shoots fine.

I'm giving my vote to Charter. Haven't had my "Off Duty" long enough to give a thurough, informed review, but I like it.

Two Taurus snubs and a compact 9mm give me confidence in Taurus.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I voted for Charter. I actually own 5 Taurus guns, 2 semi auto and 3 revolvers. I have had no problems with mine but the youngest is now around 10 years old. I have not heard too many good things regarding the Taurus quality control of late.

But, I have heard nothing but good things about the QA at Charter. So, I had to go with Charter.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I like both which makes it hard to chose.

The Charter Arms Bull Dog in 44sp would be my pick over the two chooses given.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I like Charter Arms because they are American made. But either would work fine for you in my opinion.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I have had the Taurus 85UL, and liked it just fine....only sold it to get some work done on another revolver. I can not say for myself on the Charter, but I have a co-worker that has had one for 20 years and
    his has been flawless all those years. I would like to try a Charter....maybe my next purchase.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

I like the weight of the Charter Arms snubbie and am a big fan of their single piece frame. Also, I called their CS dept before buying one for my wife and they answered on the 3rd ring, didn't make me wait on hold and talked to me for 15+ minutes about their gun and other makes. I was standing in the store and he told me to get the Taurus, S&W and Charter out and he'd tell me all about their differences. Never once did they bad-mouth their competition and that attitude was the biggest selling point fr me. She's had her's for a few moths now and it has eaten everything we've put through it. No shavings or splatter and accuracy is more than acceptable for size.

Senior Moderator
    I've own 3 Taurus pistols and have not had any problems out of them
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Well I would choose smi..... nevermind....

I suppose charter arms makes a decent revolver. Kind of industrial looking but I have heard good things about them.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I voted for Taurus. I have an 85 UL blued that I bought so there'd be something in the house my wife could handle if I wasn't home. It's been flawless for us so far.

I have a buddy who had a charter and he liked it just fine, didn't have any problems with it but he didn't own it for too terribly long, he's got firearms ADD ;)

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I would pick the Ruger LCR myself. I've seen them for less than $400.

I've heard more than enough stories about "lemons" from Taurus, and I haven't done enough research in Charter Arms to put my trust into them.

But I believe Charter Arms is an American company, which is a big +1 for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links