Defensive Carry banner

New 9mm CCW for better half

4K views 48 replies 33 participants last post by  Sandiesman00 
#1 ·
This weekend the better half and I did some window and hands on shopping for a new ccw for her waist. We have a G19 & G26 and neither feel great or comfortable in her hands let alone on her hip. While at the dealer she got her hands on the Khar CW 9mm. She said it felt great. The single stack makes it thinner and less boxy. I went home and did some research and didn't exactly like what I read about the FTFS and FTES and the whole 200 round breaking in period. What's the general consensus about this weapon? For every negitive post I read there are just as many if not more... positives. What other 9mm should I also consider with about the same size and weight characteristics. I see Taurus has a new slim out. We did like that CW!!!

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I have a CW9 and a CW45 and both have been great. I carry the CW9 lots and have faith in it. They are tight and require a break-in period, so if you are unwilling to do that, then you should probably look at something else. My CW9 was flawless from the beginning, including the break-in period. The CW45 was purchased used with unknown rounds and it has never malfunctioned in about 300 rounds.

#3 ·
For the most part I think the FTF and FTE issues with the Kahrs was fixed about 6 months back. I don't own one but a friend of mine does and he said it was fine after the 200 rounds break in period. I have the Taurus Slim 9mm you mentioned and I am quite happy with it. Either would probably serve you well. On a side note I think the CW9 only comes with one mag.

#4 ·
seems like people like current production kahrs, i have a pm9 and if you ease the slide back at all when chambering a round it may FTE with factory mags but if you have a loaded chamber already or use the slide release its always worked. My pm9 tolerences on the slide are very tight so i use grease on it seems to make a big difference

#6 · (Edited)
I have no Kahr experience, though it seems they are well liked. Take a look at Walther PPS, I do have experience with it and like it well though I don't like the odd mag release.

I need to mention that the Walther comes with grip inserts, so you probably can alter it so it fits her hand.

#8 ·
Thanks greenjeans. The first thing we noticed was the long trigger pull. She actually liked that quality but will that really loosen up some? The dealer said it would but it will never be like the Glocks.

My wife is tall and slender. Not much is gonna fit IWB so it will have to hang.

#9 ·
Keltec PF-9, it is smaller and lighter. and more snappy. but they are hard to find. Let her shoot them all. Most people seem to be happy with the Taurus slim. and you could spend a little more for the Kahr PM-9.

#11 ·
I have a Taurus PT709 Slim and it's been great. 800 flawless rounds, small, light, accurate. I've shot a Ruger SR9c as well and it's a great small 9mm. Both relatively inexpensive and good shooters, easy to conceal.

#13 ·
Just my opinion, but when you pay big money for a Kahr you shouldnt have to be doing 200-300 round break in sessions before its reliable. If I were spending the money the PPS would be my pick.

Glocks Rock right out of the Box!

#14 ·
Just my opinion, but when you pay big money for a Kahr you shouldnt have to be doing 200-300 round break in sessions before its reliable.
- Not everyone has to. I have 3 Kahrs (MK9, PM9, P380) and they have all been flawless out of the box. IMO, you should be putting at least 200 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of any JHP through ANY gun you plan on carrying. You never know what type of ammunition a gun may like or dislike.

My advice if you buy a Kahr is to clean and lubricate it well before your first trip to the range. Take it apart, clean any residue left over from factory test firing and any other protective oil. Then use a quality lubricant on the rails. I then rack the slide about 100 times to help the break in process. This has worked well for the guns I've owned. Also make sure you ALWAYS use the slide release to chamber the first round. Then make sure you don't limp wrist while firing.

Glocks Rock right out of the Box!
- Glocks are definitely one of my favorite handguns. My G27 and G19 have been flawless. I absolutely love them. My only wish is that they were as small and light as my Kahrs.

#15 ·
Don't be misled, the 200 round breakin for the Kahr is nothing. I put 150 through mine the first weekend I had it, with virtually no problems. With 200 good rounds, the gun shows you can really trust it when and if you ever need it. Kahr makes a good product and the CW9 would be perfect for a thin, tall woman. It is also very good for us guys with the love handles too. You won't go wrong with it.

#16 ·
My kel Tec PF9 has been great out of the box may 500 rounds through it now.

However wife does not like it because of mussel flip and difficulty to chamber new rounds.

Light 9mm with +P ammo is a real chore to bring back on target for followup shots.

Wife handles P3AT 380acp much better than 9mm and enjoys shooting it and carrying it every where it is legal.

If thing in USA really get bad and we loose Rule of Law and 911 does not work she will move up to her Mil Pro PT111 9mm that she shoots very well also.

Except in the most direr straights there is no place for the light slim 9mm in my wife carry or use.

#17 ·
Kahr’s are quality firearms. I have a MK9 and it works flawless; I will be getting a PM9 very soon. The 200 rounds break in period should not bother you at all, because you shall always break in a firearm and make sure that it works flawless before CCing it.

#18 ·
200 rounds before carrying is a good rule of thumb for any semi-auto pistol for a lot of reasons. Learning the nuances of any particular weapon and getting familiar with it, ensuring proper operation, certain types of ammo cycle better than others, how it shoots with various ammo, etc. is good preparation. I think of it in terms of my confidence and knowing what to expect from a weapon.

Every manufacturer known to man has had issues at some point or another. Regardless of brand or model, you will find someone that has had a bad experience and others that have had zero issues. It's a mechanical device and things can happen. Two can look identical and yet function very differently (much like cars). You just don't know until you've put it through some range time.

#19 ·
Go with the Kahr. High quality pistol, very slim, extremely accurate, smooth trigger, lightweigt, and just big enough to get your whole hand on the grip. Almost every pistol has a break in period(except maybe Glock) and that to me is a good thing. Because during that 150-200 rounds you can put all sorts of range+SD ammo too find out which types feed reliabily. It's also nice to see and feel how the pistol shoots. I refuse to carry any pistol until I have at least 250 rounds through it.

#20 ·
CW9

I have a new CW9. I have over 400 rounds through the pistol. It has been flawless. I had one FTE in the first two magazines. one hundred rounds of WWB, two different JHP brands and the rest reloads. It just shoots and shoots. It is now my carry pistol. Great pistol.

-- Richard

#30 ·
Do you really get only one mag with the CW9? That surprises me very much, because from factory the CW9 comes with two 8 rounds stainless mags; check Kahr Arms / 9mm Models / CW9 Series . Personally, I would not buy a firearm from a shop that takes out a mag from the box. I think that doing something like that says a lot about what kind of people they are.
BTW, mags are easy to get.

#23 ·
The CW9 is as close to a perfect concealed carry pistol as I've found; only the PM9 is better, in my opinion, which is why I sold my CW9 and bought a PM9. :)

The CW9 has the attributes you liked - slim, light, and it fits the hand well. I bought my CW9 used, so I did not have to shoot the break-in rounds, but you really should shoot any carry pistol at least that much before carrying it to protect your life.

Good luck with your choice!

#24 ·
I have a CW9 I bought for my girlfriend for ccw. She is pretty tiny so she wanted something fairly small. It was a toss-up between the CW9 & the CW40. She loves shooting my Glock 23 but was worried about recoil with such a small frame so we went with the CW9. The guy at the lgs said they require 200 rd break-in period to smooth out. Wow was he right. We have probably 1000 rds thru it now and it is buttery smooth. Never had any kind of malfunction, ever.
Only 2 drawbacks of it.
1. It only comes with 1 mag, I guess thats how they keep the price down.
2. The grip is stippled pretty aggressively. Put an Agrip on it and it really is a pleasure to shoot. When we 1st got it, we went out with 250 rds to shoot. I had her do all of them. Figured its her gun, if she wants to carry it she is going to become one with it. After about 100 rounds her hand was bleeding. Had to put gloves on to finish it. Hence the Agrip which made a world of difference.
Anyway I would highly recommend it and I am saving for the CW45 for myself right now.

PS. I carry her CW9 more than she does! :)

#38 ·
Welcome to the forum Radman. Mine only came with one magazine also. I got a 2nd magazine from Cheaperthandirt. They are about $32 before shipping. Look for the k820 model magazine.

Get a bicycle innertube and cut a piece and stretch over the grip. Cheaper than Hogue grip and you can make one for every gun you have.

#25 ·
I just got a Kahr PM9 and love it! Absolutely no FTF or FTE issues. It is so easy to carry and conceal and the 9mm is mild recoil. The break-in thing is no different than any other gun you'd want to carry/use for self defense, be sure it works and this one does! Get one and don't look back, you'll like it!

#26 ·
CW9

My CW9 had two small MF in the first several magazines and ran like a rocket after that. I agree that the grip is cut to be abrasive and for the first session I used IDPA target tape on the front and back of the grip. I kept the tape on the grip while I waited for the order from Kahr for two spare magazines and a Hogue grip. The CW9 is a joy to carry and shoot.

-- Richard

#27 ·
My gal loves the PM9....a lot...look in to one of those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.