New 9mm CCW for better half - Page 3

New 9mm CCW for better half

This is a discussion on New 9mm CCW for better half within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sandiesman00 This weekend the better half and I did some window and hands on shopping for a new ccw for her waist. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandiesman00 View Post
    This weekend the better half and I did some window and hands on shopping for a new ccw for her waist. We have a G19 & G26 and neither feel great or comfortable in her hands let alone on her hip. While at the dealer she got her hands on the Khar CW 9mm. She said it felt great. The single stack makes it thinner and less boxy. I went home and did some research and didn't exactly like what I read about the FTFS and FTES and the whole 200 round breaking in period. What's the general consensus about this weapon? For every negitive post I read there are just as many if not more... positives. What other 9mm should I also consider with about the same size and weight characteristics. I see Taurus has a new slim out. We did like that CW!!!

Thanks in advance!
    I was thinking about the 200 rounds break in period you mention; for my DW CBOB they recommend a 600 rounds break in period!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Here is a good link comparing the CW9 and P9...... KAHR CW9093 / Detail images
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

My how times have changed.

I can't believe that people complain about a 200 round "break in" period. My general rule of thumb for a new "bottomfeeder" is 500 rounds of 'ball, or whatever I can get my grubby hands on and then 200 rounds of my carry ammo.

When I test the carry ammo I start with a clean gun and any failure between round 1 and round 200 requires that I solve whatever caused that failure and then start over at round 1 again. Because I test my guns this way gives me confidence in them and gives me great practice too. It is however cost prohibitive to using the "latest and greatest" ammo on the market, as I'm not rich.

To borrow a motto from Massad Ayoob I , "Buy my ammo cheap and stack it deep." Just last year, 2009, I shot up the last of my 2004 ammo in one caliber. Not all of my calibers are stacked that deep, but it helps to have a decent supply handy. This is best done by buying in case lots.

I didn't mean to derail your thread, but I wanted to point out that a 200 round "break in" is really nothing, and shouldn't dissuade you from buying a certain gun. As far as the quality of a Kahr, I've only owned one, a PM9. It was 100% after the "break in".

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Do you really get only one mag with the CW9? That surprises me very much, because from factory the CW9 comes with two 8 rounds stainless mags; check Kahr Arms / 9mm Models / CW9 Series . Personally, I would not buy a firearm from a shop that takes out a mag from the box. I think that doing something like that says a lot about what kind of people they are.
    BTW, mags are easy to get.
    I think this is a sign of the times. I read somewhere that Sig was only including one mag with their guns. IIRC doesn't Kimber only include one mag with their new guns?

The CW line was designed for the cost conscious. It has the same trigger and internals as the P series. Now they make Trijicon night sights for them. For me that gives the CW series the perfect balance of price and quality.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My Kahr K9 was reliable from round one, with FMJ and Federal 9BPLE; it did not like Cor-bon 115 grain ammo, however. My wife's K9 has been 100% reliable with everything, from round one. These were purchased in the late 1990s.

I don't understand anyone griping about 200 rounds for break-in. I like 500 rounds before I trust a pistol, though I have settled for 400 when ammo was scarce. With a new weapon platform, different from what I have been using, I want 1000-1500 rounds, to get used to the new manual of arms and trigger pull, and don't get really comfortable until I have fired 2000 to 3000 rounds. True unconscious competence, being truly in the groove, comes with several thousand more rounds downrange.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    SIGs are again shipping with two magazines. That one-mag thing was short-lived.

Let your wife make her own decision

Quote Originally Posted by Sandiesman00 View Post
    This weekend the better half and I did some window and hands on shopping for a new ccw for her waist. We have a G19 & G26 and neither feel great or comfortable in her hands let alone on her hip. While at the dealer she got her hands on the Khar CW 9mm. She said it felt great. The single stack makes it thinner and less boxy. I went home and did some research and didn't exactly like what I read about the FTFS and FTES and the whole 200 round breaking in period. What's the general consensus about this weapon? For every negitive post I read there are just as many if not more... positives. What other 9mm should I also consider with about the same size and weight characteristics. I see Taurus has a new slim out. We did like that CW!!!

Thanks in advance!
    Who is the gun for? Is it for you or is it for your wife? It seems to me that you are the one doing the driving here instead of her. It's her gun for her to carry on her hip. If she like the CW if it fits her hand then that is what she should get.

I hate to be so blunt, but the best thing you can do is butt out and let her make her decision. I'm sure your wife is perfectly capable of doing that.

The CW is a good gun. Yes, there is a break in period, but she should be shooting it and practicing with it anyway so that she can become comfortable with using it.

Quote Originally Posted by radman View Post
    I have a CW9 I bought for my girlfriend for ccw. She is pretty tiny so she wanted something fairly small. It was a toss-up between the CW9 & the CW40. She loves shooting my Glock 23 but was worried about recoil with such a small frame so we went with the CW9. The guy at the lgs said they require 200 rd break-in period to smooth out. Wow was he right. We have probably 1000 rds thru it now and it is buttery smooth. Never had any kind of malfunction, ever.
    Only 2 drawbacks of it.
    1. It only comes with 1 mag, I guess thats how they keep the price down.
    2. The grip is stippled pretty aggressively. Put an Agrip on it and it really is a pleasure to shoot. When we 1st got it, we went out with 250 rds to shoot. I had her do all of them. Figured its her gun, if she wants to carry it she is going to become one with it. After about 100 rounds her hand was bleeding. Had to put gloves on to finish it. Hence the Agrip which made a world of difference.
    Anyway I would highly recommend it and I am saving for the CW45 for myself right now.

PS. I carry her CW9 more than she does! :)
    Welcome to the forum Radman. Mine only came with one magazine also. I got a 2nd magazine from Cheaperthandirt. They are about $32 before shipping. Look for the k820 model magazine.

Get a bicycle innertube and cut a piece and stretch over the grip. Cheaper than Hogue grip and you can make one for every gun you have.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Not everyone has to. I have 3 Kahrs (MK9, PM9, P380) and they have all been flawless out of the box. IMO, you should be putting at least 200 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of any JHP through ANY gun you plan on carrying. You never know what type of ammunition a gun may like or dislike.
    +1

What I also do with new semi-autos after the initial take down/inspection, clean and re-lube is hand cycle a bunch of snap caps using every magazine that came with the pistol. I rack the slide as hard as I can and probably run about 200 snap caps through it. Costs nothing more than a bit of time and some lube. I do it in a single night while watching TV. It helps "run" the parts in and mate them for smooth operation. Then I clean/re-lube it again before hitting the range for the first time. I figure if it will reliably feed and eject snap caps as fast as I can rack the slide by hand, I'll have a successful first range outing. If I have problems with this "test", I can expect problems during live fire. This practice has never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kahr View Post
    I think this is a sign of the times. I read somewhere that Sig was only including one mag with their guns. IIRC doesn't Kimber only include one mag with their new guns?
    If I remember correctly, when the AWB was just getting started, the G19 I bought in 1994 only came with one 15 round magazine. Guess Glock was saving the ones already manufactured in their inventory and not providing a spare with new guns since they couldn't make "high capacity" ones for the civilian market anymore after the AWB went into effect.

Don't know about all Kimbers, but the one I bought new in 2004 only came with one magazine, so it isn't a new thing. But, that might have been (again) because of the AWB still in place because the 13 round mag had been neutered to 10 rounds. It was a hi-cap double stack in .45acp.

Every Kel-Tec I've purchased only came with one magazine.

The ruger SR9 is light and more slim than a glock. I have one but haven't shot it yet.

I have a PM9 that has been absolutely PERFECT. Even my 115lb girlfriend shot it without a problem. Don't let all the naysayers get you down on a good gun. Lube em good, and shoot the heck outta em.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

kahrs aren't bad guns. i certainly suggest single stacks, though im a 1911 person myself. There are plenty of 9mm single stacks out there so do your research, but kahr certainly isnt a bad way to go as long as she has no problem with a dao gun
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Do you really get only one mag with the CW9? That surprises me very much, because from factory the CW9 comes with two 8 rounds stainless mags; check Kahr Arms / 9mm Models / CW9 Series . Personally, I would not buy a firearm from a shop that takes out a mag from the box. I think that doing something like that says a lot about what kind of people they are.
    BTW, mags are easy to get.
    Checking their site. The CW9 does come with only one magazine.
    See the chart. KAHR CW9093 / Specifications
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Checking their site. The CW9 does come with only one magazine.
    See the chart. KAHR CW9093 / Specifications
    You are right and I apologize for my mistake; I read the specifications for the TP9. The CW9 does come with only one magazine. Again, I am sorry for my mistake.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links