New 9mm CCW for better half

This is a discussion on New 9mm CCW for better half within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This weekend the better half and I did some window and hands on shopping for a new ccw for her waist. We have a G19 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 9mm CCW for better half

This weekend the better half and I did some window and hands on shopping for a new ccw for her waist. We have a G19 & G26 and neither feel great or comfortable in her hands let alone on her hip. While at the dealer she got her hands on the Khar CW 9mm. She said it felt great. The single stack makes it thinner and less boxy. I went home and did some research and didn't exactly like what I read about the FTFS and FTES and the whole 200 round breaking in period. What's the general consensus about this weapon? For every negitive post I read there are just as many if not more... positives. What other 9mm should I also consider with about the same size and weight characteristics. I see Taurus has a new slim out. We did like that CW!!!

Thanks in advance!

I have a CW9 and a CW45 and both have been great. I carry the CW9 lots and have faith in it. They are tight and require a break-in period, so if you are unwilling to do that, then you should probably look at something else. My CW9 was flawless from the beginning, including the break-in period. The CW45 was purchased used with unknown rounds and it has never malfunctioned in about 300 rounds.

For the most part I think the FTF and FTE issues with the Kahrs was fixed about 6 months back. I don't own one but a friend of mine does and he said it was fine after the 200 rounds break in period. I have the Taurus Slim 9mm you mentioned and I am quite happy with it. Either would probably serve you well. On a side note I think the CW9 only comes with one mag.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

seems like people like current production kahrs, i have a pm9 and if you ease the slide back at all when chambering a round it may FTE with factory mags but if you have a loaded chamber already or use the slide release its always worked. My pm9 tolerences on the slide are very tight so i use grease on it seems to make a big difference
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    My ex who is a tiny little thing, jacked my SIG P239 from me. She had no problem carrying it IWB in jeans and a tee shirt. On the flip side it is a tad on the heavy side for a single stack pistol, but a good holster and belt she didn't have a problem.

VIP Member
    I have no Kahr experience, though it seems they are well liked. Take a look at Walther PPS, I do have experience with it and like it well though I don't like the odd mag release.

I need to mention that the Walther comes with grip inserts, so you probably can alter it so it fits her hand.
    Last edited by ppkheat; April 5th, 2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Walther P99C 9mm.

Wife loves it. Flawless out of the box with about six different brands of ammo.

bosco

Thanks greenjeans. The first thing we noticed was the long trigger pull. She actually liked that quality but will that really loosen up some? The dealer said it would but it will never be like the Glocks.

My wife is tall and slender. Not much is gonna fit IWB so it will have to hang.

Keltec PF-9, it is smaller and lighter. and more snappy. but they are hard to find. Let her shoot them all. Most people seem to be happy with the Taurus slim. and you could spend a little more for the Kahr PM-9.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    My ex who is a tiny little thing, jacked my SIG P239 from me. She had no problem carrying it IWB in jeans and a tee shirt. On the flip side it is a tad on the heavy side for a single stack pistol, but a good holster and belt she didn't have a problem.
    Yep, 239 is good too
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I have a Taurus PT709 Slim and it's been great. 800 flawless rounds, small, light, accurate. I've shot a Ruger SR9c as well and it's a great small 9mm. Both relatively inexpensive and good shooters, easy to conceal.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

los
    +1 on the Taurus PT709 Slim.

Mine has exceeded all my expectations, and thus, met my principle objectives.

It is my primary carry piece.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Just my opinion, but when you pay big money for a Kahr you shouldnt have to be doing 200-300 round break in sessions before its reliable. If I were spending the money the PPS would be my pick.

Glocks Rock right out of the Box!
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Just my opinion, but when you pay big money for a Kahr you shouldnt have to be doing 200-300 round break in sessions before its reliable.
    - Not everyone has to. I have 3 Kahrs (MK9, PM9, P380) and they have all been flawless out of the box. IMO, you should be putting at least 200 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of any JHP through ANY gun you plan on carrying. You never know what type of ammunition a gun may like or dislike.

My advice if you buy a Kahr is to clean and lubricate it well before your first trip to the range. Take it apart, clean any residue left over from factory test firing and any other protective oil. Then use a quality lubricant on the rails. I then rack the slide about 100 times to help the break in process. This has worked well for the guns I've owned. Also make sure you ALWAYS use the slide release to chamber the first round. Then make sure you don't limp wrist while firing.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Glocks Rock right out of the Box!
    - Glocks are definitely one of my favorite handguns. My G27 and G19 have been flawless. I absolutely love them. My only wish is that they were as small and light as my Kahrs.

Don't be misled, the 200 round breakin for the Kahr is nothing. I put 150 through mine the first weekend I had it, with virtually no problems. With 200 good rounds, the gun shows you can really trust it when and if you ever need it. Kahr makes a good product and the CW9 would be perfect for a thin, tall woman. It is also very good for us guys with the love handles too. You won't go wrong with it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links