Larry Vickers rates the glock GEN4 a "C-"

This is a discussion on Larry Vickers rates the glock GEN4 a "C-" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Larry Vickers Offline Subject Matter Expert Quote: I got a Gen 4 17 for my show - here's my take; 1) I like the smaller ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Larry Vickers rates the glock GEN4 a "C-"

Exclamation Larry Vickers rates the glock GEN4 a "C-"

Larry Vickers Offline
    Subject Matter Expert

Quote:
    I got a Gen 4 17 for my show - here's my take;

1) I like the smaller grip as I have small hands - although not as small as that jabronie in the pic

2)I wish the rough texture was more agressive - it is better than a stock gen 3 but not as much as it could be

3) The mag release is better but rude sharp - somebody at Glock feels that only guns with sharp edges will please the Fuhrer and it shows - I radiused mine immediately

4) The interchangable backstrap system is lame and is dramatically inferior to the S&W M&P or Hk P30/P2000/HK45 series - poor effort

5) The big question is will the recoil spring setup help the 40 and hurt the 9mm in terms of functional reliability- verdict is still out on that but my gut feeling is depending on ammo used the answer will be yes

6) The trigger on mine is dramatically heavier than a gen 3 G17 - noticed it right away

Overall i give the gun a C minus - If i had to choose I would pick a gen 3 with some tweaks anyday over the gen 4

my .02 cents

cheers

LAV
    source: 4th Generation Glock - Page 31 - M4Carbine.net Forums

2. Remove Ads

I think this is what everyone expected from the changes...

Which is the reason I bought a Gen3 Glock 19 with RTF2 a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I think this is what everyone expected from the changes...

Which is the reason I bought a Gen3 Glock 19 with RTF2 a few months ago.
    me too

LOL. Mine is almost identical except with a TLR-3.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    LOL. Mine is almost identical except with a TLR-3.

i wish i waited to purchase the TLR-1, they now come with the "strobe light" for the same price, damn it! lol

Just who is Larry Vickers anyway?
    Should I care?
    Anyway........I didn't figure the 4th generation Glocks to go over big...at least not right away. Maybe the adaptions will lure more to try it out....but for the already enamored Glock fan, I don't see as much appeal. Maybe it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Just who is Larry Vickers anyway?
    Should I care?

Anyway........I didn't figure the 4th generation Glocks to go over big...at least not right away. Maybe the adaptions will lure more to try it out....but for the already enamored Glock fan, I don't see as much appeal. Maybe it's just me.

Larry Vickers is a former member of the 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment - Delta (1st SFOD-D, commonly referred to as Delta Force). He is also a gunsmith, television host, firearms industry consultant, tactical security consultant, and firearms instructor. He has been involved in the design process of several notable firearms in recent times. He is a founding member of the International Defensive Pistol Association. He is the namesake of the IDPA Vickers Count scoring system, and the Vickers Tactical series of firearms, and Vickers Signature series of firearms accessories.[1][2]
    Larry Vickers is featured on a new firearms, tactics, and accessories focused T.V. show called Tactical Impact. From clearing a house to mounting a night assault on a fortified enemy, each episode of Tactical Impact examines a real life tactical problem and the arms, accessories and tactics to prevail. Larry also co-hosts a second show called Tactical Arms. Tactical Arms will examine a modern weapon from the inside out. From machine guns, to battle rifles, to shotguns to handguns, they go through a metric ton of ammo to show you the anatomy, performance, origins, and uses on today’s battlefields that make these weapons the best of breed.
    Larry Vickers has worked with several companies, including Heckler and Koch, Blue Force Gear, Daniel Defense, TangoDown, Surefire, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom, and Schmidt & Bender. He was one of the principal designers behind the Heckler & Koch HK416 [5], HK417, and HK45. In addition, he has helped develop the Wilson Combat WWII Commemorative Pistol, Schmidt & Bender 1.1 - 4 x 20 CQB Short Dot scope, the Surefire X200 series tactical light and Scoutlight tactical lights, and the Insight Technology M3x and M6x laser/weaponslights, as well as the ATPIAL infrared laser & illuminator (similar to the PEQ-2 illuminator. [6] According to Defensereview.com, he is highly regarded among professional gunsmiths as "one of the best pistolsmiths out there"

Larry Vickers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Larry Vickers is a former member of the 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment - Delta (1st SFOD-D, commonly referred to as Delta Force). He is also a gunsmith, television host, firearms industry consultant, tactical security consultant, and firearms instructor. He has been involved in the design process of several notable firearms in recent times. He is a founding member of the International Defensive Pistol Association. He is the namesake of the IDPA Vickers Count scoring system, and the Vickers Tactical series of firearms, and Vickers Signature series of firearms accessories.[1][2]
    His opinion, while not the ultimate, is definitely worth taking into account when considering a new handgun.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by dropped_71chevy View Post
    Larry Vickers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His opinion, while not the ultimate, is definitely worth taking into account when considering a new handgun.
    Exactly, some opinions are more valid than others.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Okay...so Larry Vickers wasn't a Marine? But maybe we should accept his take on things anyway when it comes to combat weapons. While Glock is the essence of an ideal combat weapon, I think the 4th generations are just a pistol for the masses. Probably spot on with a 'C' rating, and quite possibly generous. The only reason I'd have to try one out is if it fell into my hands. If anybody's listening, I always give objective reviews.
    Thank you all for enlightening me about Larry V. (it's cooler in the shade)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Okay...so Larry Vickers wasn't a Marine? But maybe we should accept his take on things anyway when it comes to combat weapons. While Glock is the essence of an ideal combat weapon, I think the 4th generations are just a pistol for the masses. Probably spot on with a 'C' rating, and quite possibly generous. The only reason I'd have to try one out is if it fell into my hands. If anybody's listening, I always give objective reviews.
    Thank you all for enlightening me about Larry V. (it's cooler in the shade)

lol i take it you were a marine, my friend

....and i agree 100% with your gen4 thoughts.

Good post, DG.
    Glock "Perfection" is not just a slogan; it is truth in advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKREAPER View Post
    Good post, DG.
    thanx

good to see you here, my friend!

don glock is pleased

JT
    I’m a long time Glock aficionado, but I have no desire for a 4th generation model. I’ll stick with 2nd and 3rd generations.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    It's funny how the XDm series was such, and still is one of the biggest next gen sellers. From the day it was leaked, to the day it hit the shelves, and so on and so forth.

Let's take a look at what the Gen4 glocks had to offer as a next gen gun vs the XDm.

Well, let's simplify it. Gen 4 glocks really have nothing to offer over the Gen 3, except a more expensive gun with a new guide rod system and the most minimal cosmetic changes one could make. The 2 backstraps, why couldn't they go with 3 like everyone else? It would have really aided in the customized fit for different users. ETA: and from what I've heard from people, the gen 4 back straps aren't holding up the way they should, and also give an odd feel when gripping the gun. I don't know, I haven't handled one yet.

With the XDm you are getting a new barrel length, increased capacity, entirely new cosmetic face lift, better slide serrations, they took a step out of the field strip process so you no longer have to pull the trigger, 3 grip sizes for ultimate grip customization, a new trigger, "match grade" barrel (i know thats debateable).

Now, the XDm, wasn't designed to replace the XD series. It was marketed as a competition gun, as well as a carry gun/home defense. It's just a whole different gun from the XD series in terms of fit, finish, feel. It was designed with different applications in mind, and at the time of release it wasn't created to replace the XD line. The XD line has their own niche with LE and various military organizations, and taking that away to replace it with the XDm would be a serious no-no.

The Gen 4 glock, WAS created to replace, and eventually phase out production of the Gen 3 series. IIRC Gen 3 production will stop sometime this year, if it hasn't already stopped. You're giving people a product that offers virtually nothing advantageous over the proven, rugged, reliable Gen 3 series. A new guide rod system that is said to increase the life of the guide rod by an additional 20k rounds? Whoopie, who will that effect>? Competition/sport shooters only. A civilian will never reach 10k rounds normally, and if they do, it's under $100 for a new glock factory guide rod. Big deal. So now you've got parts that aren't interchangeable between gen 3 and gen 4, you're increasing the costs around the board.

IMO the gen 4 as of right now, is not a success. Various trainers and competitors on some of my forums, who I have great respect for, who run gen 3 glocks, they just don't like the gen 4. I'm going to have to agree with them.

I'm not a glock owner, but when the horde of fools who rush out to trade in their Gen 3 glocks on gen 4's flood the market, I'll pick up a used gen 3 G19 or G17 for $300.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links