Range Report: Lessons learned.

This is a discussion on Range Report: Lessons learned. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range today, as the title implies, and learned a few things. Lesson 1: Remember to bring ammo for every gun you intend ...

Thread: Range Report: Lessons learned.

Range Report: Lessons learned.

Went to the range today, as the title implies, and learned a few things.
    Lesson 1:
    Remember to bring ammo for every gun you intend to shoot.

I forgot to put 9x18 Makarov ammo in the range bag to try out my new Polish Radom P-64. They had ammo at the range, but they wanted $28 for a single box of Winchester! That's double what I can get online for reloadable Mak's, and nearly 3x the price of brown bear. AmmoEngine: 9x18mm Makarov, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

Lesson 2:
    Laser sights on a Charter Arms "Off Duty" .38 may not be such a great idea.

I fiddled and adjusted and probably cursed a bit, but never got that darn dot to line up with the point of impact. Good ole iron sights work ok.

Lesson 3:

The Glock 26 is still, by far, my best grouping pistol.

I could shoot a passing group at 21' with the .38 if I had to retake the CCW test.
    With the Glock 26 I could move the target out to 50' and still pass easily.

I have recoil and trigger springs for the P-64, which hopefully will make it easier to shoot. Reportedly the DA trigger pull is over 20 pounds!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Never assume that the range will have the ammo you want/need. If they do, it is a good bet that it will cost more than what you already have at home.

Let us know how that P-64 performs....... next time!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I took the P-64 out to the family farm a couple weeks ago, when I first got it. I fired 2 magazines at a small tree at the base of a hill, well away from livestock. (safety first)
    It has a painfully heavy DA trigger pull on the first shot. The slide also cocks the hammer so subsequent shots are much lighter SA.
    Recoil also seems a bit harsh for such a light round. But I may have been getting some "slide bite". Two magazines weren't enough to really get a good feel for it. And it was so different from the G26 I was glad to quit after only two.
    Also, being a "surplus" gun, it came with no documentation, so I was fumbling and cussing just to get it loaded.

I really don't like the mag release on the bottom of the grip. Never liked it on the Ruger MKII either.

It did, however, shoot a reasonable grouping around that little tree 30' away. The tree was perhaps 6" wide, but I'm just guess-timating.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Buying ammo at the range is like buying milk at a convenience store; you're gonna get gouged.

I bought a CZ-82 in 9x18 Mak, and it's a sweet shooting pistol--for $169! I'm just about finished refinishing it with DuraCoat and am waiting for new grips from Marschels before I take it back out to the range.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The G26 is a very easy to shoot 9 for its size.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Went to the range today, as the title implies, and learned a few things.
    Lesson 1:
    Remember to bring ammo for every gun you intend to shoot.

I forgot to put 9x18 Makarov ammo in the range bag to try out my new Polish Radom P-64. They had ammo at the range, but they wanted $28 for a single box of Winchester! That's double what I can get online for reloadable Mak's, and nearly 3x the price of brown bear. AmmoEngine: 9x18mm Makarov, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

Lesson 2:
    Laser sights on a Charter Arms "Off Duty" .38 may not be such a great idea.

I fiddled and adjusted and probably cursed a bit, but never got that darn dot to line up with the point of impact. Good ole iron sights work ok.

Lesson 3:

The Glock 26 is still, by far, my best grouping pistol.

I could shoot a passing group at 21' with the .38 if I had to retake the CCW test.
    With the Glock 26 I could move the target out to 50' and still pass easily.

I have recoil and trigger springs for the P-64, which hopefully will make it easier to shoot. Reportedly the DA trigger pull is over 20 pounds!

Might be you came down with a case of the spring time fumbles.
    I have the same issues after a cold hard winter where we live.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I've been having an itch to get a P-64! Let us know how it works for you once you get a chance to put it thru it's paces. As tiny as they are it's hard to believe they were once military issued sidearms.

I've also wondered about those laser grips for the Charters. I've got an Undercover that I've considered trying them out with, but it's hard to justify buying grips that cost almost the same amount I paid for the gun. Right now it sports a Barami Hip grip and a Tyler T-grip.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Administrator
    Ehh, I went to the range the other day and forgot 45ACP. I had to go back home before I could begin.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I did that the other day, drove an hour to the actual range ( I live RU-RAL) to re-sight my coyote hunting AR and forgot the magazines. DOH!! Ended up just working my .22 mag bolty.

Lessons learned are better than lessons forgotten. Learning is a golden opportunity. Opportunities are few unless you seek them. Take life by the horns......and Glock on!

I showed up at the range one day with a few guns but wanted to shoot my Sig 229 40,I had ammo and 2 spare mags in a mag holder,but the gun was in the holster on my living room chair where I was arranging my range bag.I felt like kicking a rock
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've learned the hard way many times to bring ammo for every gun I plan to shoot. My range usually has a great selection of ammo except for they always seem to be out of whatever caliber I needed that day.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I make a point that if I'm going to the range, I make sure everything is packed in the range a day or so before hand. Anything that isn't packed is going to be on me. ;]
    Knowing is half the battle.

Links