Did I Hurt My Glock 19?!

Did I Hurt My Glock 19?!

This is a discussion on Did I Hurt My Glock 19?! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a new Glock 19 and had it broken down for a good look over. I dropped the frame (on the carpet) fhew..As ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I Hurt My Glock 19?!

Did I Hurt My Glock 19?!

I just got a new Glock 19 and had it broken down for a good look over. I dropped the frame (on the carpet) fhew..As I bent over to grab it I leaned up against some thing with frame in hand and pulled the trigger. I have heard that pulling the trigger with slide off the frame can hurt a Glock..Have I hurt my gun?!?

VIP Member
    Hah! No, no harm done at all. Pull the trigger all you want.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Does it still go bang? If so, you should be fine,
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

How did you get the slide off without pulling back the trigger first? I have never been able to break down any of my Glocks without first pulling the trigger.

When you dropped it did the trigger go foward?

How could you pull the trigger? The gun should be uncocked when field stripping it. Also, be careful from now on to never let your finger enter the trigger guard unless you are about to fire the weapon. Rule #1: Always treat every firearm as if it is loaded! This applies even to dismantled guns IMO.

I don't know if you damaged the gun or not, I hope not.

It's time for the pencil test. Assemble the gun and make sure the magazine is not inserted. Rack the slide so the trigger resets to the forward position. Insert a pencil into the chamber with the eraser side going in, toward the firing pin/striker. Push it until it stops. Point the gun in a safe direction holding it level and pull the trigger. Did the pencil pop out with some force? If so then the gun should fire a round at the range.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocker919 View Post
    I just got a new Glock 19 and had it broken down for a good look over. I dropped the frame (on the carpet) fhew..As I bent over to grab it I leaned up against some thing with frame in hand and pulled the trigger. I have heard that pulling the trigger with slide off the frame can hurt a Glock..Have I hurt my gun?!?
    Well....I figure there's a 50/50 chance everything is okay with your new G19. I wouldn't make a habit of pulling the trigger with the slide off the frame in the future. Make sure the trigger bar and the cruciform are aligned within the frame, and put it back together and consult your owner's manual for the function tests. If your trigger won't reset when the slide is manually cycled, you've more than likely broken the trigger spring. Chances are everything will be okay. Glock on!

I already reassembled it all and racked the slide/ pulled the trigger a few times. It seems to work just fine. Have not fired it... Have to wait for the weekend for a trip to the range. I am going to try that pencil test.

CMDRDREDD, I tried the pencil thing.. It did come out of the barrel. Did not go far but did come out of the barrel. I reckon it will be okay. Thank you all for the replies.

Good luck with it. The pencil won't fly out like an arrow, but it should pop out and it seems to have done just that.

Take it to the range this weekend, see how it goes. Should be alright I'd think.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by shorty82 View Post
    How could you pull the trigger? The gun should be uncocked when field stripping it. Also, be careful from now on to never let your finger enter the trigger guard unless you are about to fire the weapon. Rule #1: Always treat every firearm as if it is loaded! This applies even to dismantled guns IMO.

I don't know if you damaged the gun or not, I hope not.
    Sometimes when you drop a Glock pistol with the trigger rearward, it will reset and go forward. I imagine the same goes for just the frame since the trigger and trigger bar are housed in the frame. It is possible......I know this for fact, I've done it on purpose several times just to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Sometimes when you drop a Glock pistol with the trigger rearward, it will reset and go forward. I imagine the same goes for just the frame since the trigger and trigger bar are housed in the frame. It is possible......I know this for fact, I've done it on purpose several times just to see.
    I had racked the slide, pulled the trigger, took the slide off and was looking at the "trigger bar"? had pushed it forward and that pushed the trigger into the "cocked" position...that is how the trigger was forward then when I pulled it while picking up the slide it clicked when I pulled the trigger and it went back rearward.

Not to takeover the thread but while discussing the take down procedure, and many of you may already know about this gimmick, my local dealer sold me a couple extended take down bars from Lone Wolf for my 27&23. They are like 1/32 longer on each side and they really make it a snap to get the slide off yet no interference with handling or holster. I thought they worked great especially as I have some arthritis.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Not to takeover the thread but while discussing the take down procedure, and many of you may already know about this gimmick, my local dealer sold me a couple extended take down bars from Lone Wolf for my 27&23. They are like 1/32 longer on each side and they really make it a snap to get the slide off yet no interference with handling or holster. I thought they worked great especially as I have some arthritis.
    If they make it easier for you when it comes time for maintenance then who am I to say they're useless? I don't need them or find use for them, but if you can enjoy the hobby and enjoy your Glock pistol more by having them installed, then by all means use them.
    -Thomas Jefferson

You broke it! It's trashed! Send it to me right away for proper disposal...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links