Help New Wheel gun!!!!!

This is a discussion on Help New Wheel gun!!!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I did it I ordered the SP101 today, had to get the 2.25" version with bobbed hammer, because the gun shop could not locate ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help New Wheel gun!!!!!

Well I did it I ordered the SP101 today, had to get the 2.25" version with bobbed hammer, because the gun shop could not locate a 3" version, his distributors were out of all 3" versions. I hope I don't regret it, I think I really liked the looks of the 3", I guess I will have to buy it later. LOL..... It is supposed to be here next Wednesday, can't wait., will post pics. I think I will put some Badger grips on it also. Thanks for all the replies.

2. Remove Ads

I opted for the hammered version that can be fired in DA or SA. The main reason was I already have a 442 DAO and wanted a revolver with a hammer. It hasn't presented any issues in carry. Hope you enjoy your new purchase. Let us know what you think when you get to the range.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Ruger SP-101, that's what I'd get...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I tried the Trausch grip on my 3" SP101, didn't fit at all, and I had to use tools damaging it to get it off ... a quality control issue I suppose. Not sure I will get around to mailing it back to France, where it was sent from. The Hogue monogrip works really well for me on the SP, which I love. By contrast the factory Hogue now shipping on the GP100 is ugly, the finger grooves don't fit my hand, and it doesn't point naturally for me, so changed that one to the old Ruger GP grip (the larger one that used to ship with adjustable sight models). Sights fall right into place ... Grips are highly personal, tho.

Congratulations on your SP101 w/2" barrel they are a great gun and would kick less because they are a little heavier. I have a 3" SP101 that I haven't shot 10rds thru I don't know why I guess because I don't want to wear it out. With the advent of the new 38special +P loads a guy should carry his 3" and shoot those 38 +P rounds would be a lot less recoil and better shooting.

You will never wear out a Ruger SP101. You will be wore out before the SP101 ever will be. richgp100z

Quote Originally Posted by fknipfer1 View Post
    Congratulations on your SP101 w/2" barrel they are a great gun and would kick less because they are a little heavier. I have a 3" SP101 that I haven't shot 10rds thru I don't know why I guess because I don't want to wear it out. With the advent of the new 38special +P loads a guy should carry his 3" and shoot those 38 +P rounds would be a lot less recoil and better shooting.
    Shoot .38s for fun and carry .357 for business. Shoot enough .357s so that you know what to expect, but you don't have to punish yourself at the range to enjoy the firearm. I've thoroughly enjoyed mine...it has quickly become my favorite handgun. You don't have to be concerned at all about wearing it out. If you scratch it, use some stainless steel cleaner and buff it out. No problem.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2.25 DAO is the way to go!

The 2.25" SP101 is a beautiful revolver and if you have Gemini do a package you're going to have an awesome snubbie. I'm jealous! Good Luck and we want pictures of the finished product!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I have the Taurus 617. I purchased it because 7 are more than 5. It shoots as good as any short barreled .357 but I don't carry it much. I thought I would make it my EDC but I was wrong. It's too wide and heavy so it stays mostly in my nightstand drawer. I bought 2 different OWB holsters but neither one feels right. I'm back to my Springfield EMP or Glock 26. I know they aren't .357's but with 10 rnds and 2 extra mags in the EMP and 16 rnds and 1 extra 10 rnd mag in the Glock, I really don't feel under gunned.

I believe that the extra barrel length of the 3" 357 would make a significant difference in volicity with barrels that short, I would prefer the 3" if it concealed well, However you would not be undergunned with the 2".

Congratulations! Since you got the bobbed hammer and are adding the Badger grips, are you still going to send it to Gemini? I know they offer a lot more in their packages, but you might be able to save a few $$$.

Here's mine. The only things left I want to have done to it are adding an XS Big Dot front sight and having the rear cylinder edge chamfered like the front edge, if possible. It's sharp and snags on the draw from a SmartCarry.

The Badger grips are great; they don't tug on clothing like the original rubber ones, but they do smack the hand a little bit upon firing.

Sorry for the weird angle photos. I took them to highlight the grips for another post.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Sounds good
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links