Help New Wheel gun!!!!!

Help New Wheel gun!!!!!

This is a discussion on Help New Wheel gun!!!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I have decided to add a wheel gun to the mix, and have pretty much settled on a Ruger SP101 .357 mag $475, although ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help New Wheel gun!!!!!

Help New Wheel gun!!!!!

Well I have decided to add a wheel gun to the mix, and have pretty much settled on a Ruger SP101 .357 mag $475, although I have looked at the 7 shot Model 617 .357 Taurus $417 and the S&W UL .38 sp. $450. My long term goal is to send it to Gemini Customs and have some custom work done to it. I guess what I want to know is do any of you have the SP101 3" version or do most carry the 2.25" version for CC. I really like the looks of the 3" but you can't get it with the bobbed hammer, although Gemini will do this. So what do you all think about the SP101 and do you like the 2.25" or the 3" better for CC? The price the local GS gave me are listed, plus tax.
    Thanks, waiting on your wisdom.

I have the 3 inch and it is one of my favorites. I use it for a field gun while working on the farm or hiking in the woods looking for ginseng and deer sign. Its a great gun for that. I always carry OWB. If I was going to use it for strictly CC I would probaly go with the 2 inch. I think it would hide a little better.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I've had my 2.25" for several weeks and I LOVE it!!! I wanted the 3", but realistically the shorter barrel is easier for me to carry IWB at 2:00. I have 10 (soon to be 11) handguns and my SP101 has quickly become my most carried weapon. It's awesome. You'll absolutely love it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Thanks guys, does that price sound about right?

That's a great firearm and a great price. (for my area at least)
    Kimber Pro Carry II; Night Sights
    S&W 340PD

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I would take the Ruger, hands down, at that price. I carry a S&W 637 every day "in the field" to reduce the weight of my belt of other tools. If I didn't need to reduce the gun weight, the Ruger would be at the top of my list. Heck of a good price you were offered, compared to what I see locally.

surv

They're running $500 in my area (in shops I frequent and buy a lot of stuff from...that's not the "sticker price" but the regular customer price).
    Last edited by BugDude; April 7th, 2010 at 01:15 AM. Reason: add'l info
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I just paid $520 for a SP101 2 1/4" S.S. here in Cali. I see them here new for as much as $610, so I thought I got a good deal. Other states seem to be a little less, so I think you are getting a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by TJK68 View Post
    Thanks guys, does that price sound about right?
    I paid $535.00 for mine. Thats a good deal.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

great price, 3" is the perfect revolver barrel length.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    2.25" OR 3.06", my SP101s are equal in comfort when I use my preferred Milt Sparks PMK holsters. I don't usually carry snubbies IWB, as I prefer handguns with LONGER barrels if carried that way. Shorter weapons tend to jab me in a certain spot, whereas 4" and longer revolvers bridge that gap, and lie flat against my hip. The only time I think the shorter version has an advantage, is with pocket and ankle carry. A 2.25" SP101 is a pretty big ankle or pocket gun, already, in my experience.

I do like the greater amount of apparent daylight on either side of the front sight, within the rear notch, with the slightly longer 3.06" SP101.

In case anyone is wondering, my avatar is a GP100, not an SP101.

Those sp101 are built like tanks...get it...Im sure you will love it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Either woul dbe a good choice, and the extra length shouldn't be an issue to conceal IWB. The price sounds good, I was looking at a three inch on for my wife, it was in the ball park you mentioned.

I just got an SP101 with 3 inch barrel in Feb. I carry it in a Fist #12, and it rides perfectly.

I paid $500 tax included for the gun and then another 20 bucks for a set of Hogue grips. The factory grip didn't feel right at all.

You can read more of my thoughts in this thread. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...93-i-like.html
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I just got an SP101 with 3 inch barrel in Feb. I carry it in a Fist #12, and it rides perfectly.

I paid $500 tax included for the gun and then another 20 bucks for a set of Hogue grips. The factory grip didn't feel right at all.

You can read more of my thoughts in this thread. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...93-i-like.html
    I've tried the Hogues on my SP101 too but the best I've found for the SP101 are "Trausch Grips". They allow for a good high grip on the SP101 and feel great in the hand, at least in mine. I recommend them for that particular revolver. The website is a mess but if you persevere you can order and receive a great stock for the SP101. The link below will get you there.
    Welcome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links