S&W Sigma for $310.00

This is a discussion on S&W Sigma for $310.00 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JimmyC4 If your life could depend on it, don't buy something that's not well-respected in the marketplace as being reliable. If you're ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W Sigma for $310.00

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    If your life could depend on it, don't buy something that's not well-respected in the marketplace as being reliable.

If you're going S&W, get an M&P.
    Respected in the marketplace?

It's a Glock clone for goodness sake. My Sigma shoots as well as any of my Glocks, S&W M&Ps, Sigs, Colts, SA etc. that I own.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    If your life could depend on it, don't buy something that's not well-respected in the marketplace as being reliable.

If you're going S&W, get an M&P.
    Again, the M&P is out! Doesn't feel right, don't like the position of the controls, etc...
    I'd sell it fast if I won one.
    Any of my guns could be called on to defend my life. Any gun can fail. That being said, the only failures that I have had with my newer autos (have had several in my old military .45's and a newer Ruger Mk3 .22) have involved aluminum cased rounds. When using ammo in brass or nickle cases, no failures yet in my Sigs or Glocks. I would expect (and of course test this) the same of the Sigma. This brings me back to the S&W M64. I have had not one failure of ANY kind in any of my revolvers. That is probably 12,000 rounds through 5 wheel guns over 15 years! And, the M64 may end up in that car, in the parking lot. I just got real curious about the SW40VE. Like some here have said, I never really paid much attention to the Sigmas based on their past (early model) reputation. I have since read many positive reviews, held and liked one and wanted honest opinions from real owners, not just "word of mouth" legend. For all I know, the trigger on the gun that I held may have been exceptionally good and not the norm. But from what I'm hearing, it is probably not an exception, just a trigger that needs getting used to. Hey, maybe many of the Glock owners out there (and I am a proud member of that group) wouldn't like to admit that the first time they tested the Glock trigger, they had many negative thoughts about it. I certainly did, I thought that it was cheap feeling, sounded like a trashy cap gun trigger and couldn't imagine ever owning a gun that included a trigger like that. Now, I have a hard time saying that I like the Sig over the Glock or vise versa. They both are great in their own way. Please don't ask me to explain that, I can't. Any who....the Sigma may soon be added to my collection. Or the M64 or the G22 or the......
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Go for it, I bought a 40VE a while back and it has performed great thus far. Take a look at the Smith and Wesson forum if you get a chance. Most people are pretty happy with the current Sigmas from what I've read. Although, I do understand they had some issues early on.

I have about 500 rounds through mine with no ejection issues etc. The trigger did take some getting use to, but the pull isnt "that bad." I think it's fairly accurate as well. I looked at the Glock 23 for some time and decided to give the Sigma a try. The rebate and overall cost was a factor for me.

Good luck~

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I've said it once and I'll say it again.The ones saying the Smith & Wesson Sigma is
    poor quality pistol probably haven't fired one more than one magazine and don't have the pleasure of owning such a fine pistol for such great value at $310.I have owned a 9mm since 2001 and fired everything through this thing to try to mess it up and it keeps on coming.I'll put it up there with my SW and my glocks as they
    have a long way too catch up in the round count.So my fellow owners,I chalk this purchase up to being a wise buy.Remember these same guys will be singing praises about high point pistols.Yes,I was an owner for 3 months.

As a owner of a S&W 5904 I sugest saving a few more greenbacks and getting a used 3'rd gen. Most are cop buy back guns and have a low round count. The only bad thing about them is the holster ware, but since your going to carry it it's going to happen any way. Mine was bought for $295 back in 06. IMHO your going to get more gun for the money bringing this into consideration.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I own one and LOVE it. You can take it back to Smith and Wesson to loosen the trigger pull (that is what I'm doing as we speck). Never had a problem with it and I've put all types of ammo in it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I recently bought 1 (.40) from Larry's in Huntsville and love it! It was used and had maybe 100 rounds at most through it. Came with a light and laser, 2 mags for $230. I am attempting to get the rebate (doubtful) which puts me at $180 well spent bucks....thats if'y.
    The trigger pull is good to me. Had 1 FTL at the range due to a new mag. Other than that performs great!!
    Trigger is INTENTIONALLY MADE HARD! To cater to law enforcement requests, the sigma was equipped with a hard trigger to ensure safety. Because the weapon was Double Action Only, the hard trigger pull was requested and implemented to avoid accidental firing. People who knock it are inexperienced shooters, ignorant to the purpose of DAO triggers, and glock fanboys. I say try the Sigma.my$.02
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

I have one in .40 and one in 9mm. They are both great shooters and I recommend them highly for the price.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I've read nothing but good reviews on them. My co-worker recently bought one, and I don't think the trigger is that horrible. I've read somewhere that S&W will send you a free trigger spring that you can swap out to help reduce the trigger pull. If that's not true, someone please correct me.

I have a Sigma SW40VE and love it. It has gone bang everytime I pull the trigger. It is my primary CCW. Some complain about the trigger, but I honestly can't see what their complaints are.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    I own one and LOVE it. You can take it back to Smith and Wesson to loosen the trigger pull (that is what I'm doing as we speck). Never had a problem with it and I've put all types of ammo in it.
    What's the procedure for doing this? I bought one for my fiancee and the trigger is a little much for her.

FWIW, it is long and heavy, but not terrible once you are used to it.

The Sigma is cheap for a reason. Most of them have issues and need to be sent back in, not to mention tons of areas where the machine parts are poorly executed. I owned one brand new I bought back in January, put about 500 rounds through it. First 100 had 1 FTE, second 100 had 3, then it kept getting worst, and worst, until finally everytime I shot it, I would get an FTE. Sent it in to warranty, took about 3 weeks to get it back...when i called in to ask the status of my gun and i mentioned it was a Sigma that would constantly jam, the owner of the warranty center informed me I had to be specific because he had over 300 sigmas in house he had to fix for jamming issues. I also had low firing rounds, which was due to a poorly mounted front sight. So I had my extractor replaced and front sight and sold the POS as soon as it came back. After market accessories are hardly available....the rail is practically useless and needs and adapter for anything you add (with the exception of one laser manufacturer) and the trigger prevents the gun from being used for anything but self defense and some crappy range trips.

Save your money, buy a used glock or a used 3rd gen S&W semi auto other than the shitma. And it takes over 10 weeks to get the little crap rebate they offer, so when buying I would look at the face value being paid.

Read over the S&W forums, every day there is a new member complaining about issues with them...the rest of the time it's just other sigma owners trying to convince themselves they didnt buy a crappy cheap gun...which they did
    guns rule

They sell more Sigmas than Any other Gun, If It was as bad as At.S&W40 sais, They would discontinue the SIGMA As
    Far as the guns are easy to work on yourself If you have a little
    Knowlege about gun they are GREATT Guns for the $$ &
    get use to the trigger that is'nt That bad & is a CC GUN
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

On Gunbroker they are running a Ruger 9c that is at $350 and a Sig 250 currently at $200. Both are in support of youth shooting sports

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have SW9VE. It is a good gun and I have had no issues with it. For SD purposes, I am not concerned with the triger. I am concerned with reliability. Not one time have I pulled the triger that there wasn't a bang afterward.

I't not a $500-$600 pistol. It is a fairly priced, reliable and actually quiet accurate gun. And I can put as many hits on the target, in the same places as my friend can with his Glock 17.

I'd certainly sell mine but only for what it would take to replace it....

Good guns and at a darn good price.

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links