S&W Sigma for $310.00 - Page 3

S&W Sigma for $310.00

This is a discussion on S&W Sigma for $310.00 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd be willing to be that the majority of the reliability problems folks have with the Sigma are with the .40 S&W version. The Sigma ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W Sigma for $310.00

I'd be willing to be that the majority of the reliability problems folks have with the Sigma are with the .40 S&W version. The Sigma is pretty light and the slide is fairly light. The .40 S&W is a lot harder on guns than the 9mm is, and the shape of the .40 S&W case (straight walled instead of tapered like the 9mm) and the shape of the bullets generally used for .40 S&W ammunition make it much harder to get to feed 100%. The recoil impulse of the .40 is more abrupt and its more prone to limp wristing malfunctions in lightweight guns.

The Sigma is far from alone in that respect. The huge majority of malfunctioning Glocks I have seen over the years were chambered in .40 S&W, and the same is true of the Beretta 9x series.

I'm not saying that the Sigma 9mm is perfect, or that they don't break, but the huge majority of the problem guns I read about on various threads are .40s.

There are much better guns on the market than the Sigma, but they don't cost less than $300 NIB and many don't have a lifetime warranty.

The Sigma is easily worth what it costs, and its just as good of a pistol as some significantly more expensive ones.

I bought mine as a fun gun, not a defense gun. I don't carry it or use it as a home defense gun, but if its what I had, I wouldn't hesitate to trust if for either role.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Does anyone know where to buy the Allied Forces 9mm Sigma online? I don't know where to look and don't know what a good price on that is.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by secondhandlo View Post
    What's the procedure for doing this? I bought one for my fiancee and the trigger is a little much for her.

FWIW, it is long and heavy, but not terrible once you are used to it.
    I called Smith and Wesson two days ago and told them about the trigger pull. He asked if I was the 1st owner and I said yes. He then said that a pre-paid box will be mailed to my home in 2-5 days. He didn't even need my S/C
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSW40 View Post

Read over the S&W forums, every day there is a new member complaining about issues with them...the rest of the time it's just other sigma owners trying to convince themselves they didnt buy a crappy cheap gun...which they did
    I'm on the same S&W forum as you and everyday there is a new member talking about how their sigmas do them well. Your just lying to prove a point that isn't there.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
    Does anyone know where to buy the Allied Forces 9mm Sigma online? I don't know where to look and don't know what a good price on that is.
    I find that when the normal Sigmas are on sale, the AE are still high ($350-380). I just had a gunsmith paint my slide black.

Before:

After:

..... I think that it looks great IMO

The Sigma is cheap for a reason. Most of them have issues and need to be sent back in, not to mention tons of areas where the machine parts are poorly executed. I owned one brand new I bought back in January, put about 500 rounds through it. First 100 had 1 FTE, second 100 had 3, then it kept getting worst, and worst, until finally everytime I shot it, I would get an FTE. Sent it in to warranty, took about 3 weeks to get it back...when i called in to ask the status of my gun and i mentioned it was a Sigma that would constantly jam, the owner of the warranty center informed me I had to be specific because he had over 300 sigmas in house he had to fix for jamming issues. I also had low firing rounds, which was due to a poorly mounted front sight. So I had my extractor replaced and front sight and sold the POS as soon as it came back. After market accessories are hardly available....the rail is practically useless and needs and adapter for anything you add (with the exception of one laser manufacturer) and the trigger prevents the gun from being used for anything but self defense and some crappy range trips.

Save your money, buy a used glock or a used 3rd gen S&W semi auto other than the shitma. And it takes over 10 weeks to get the little crap rebate they offer, so when buying I would look at the face value being paid.

Read over the S&W forums, every day there is a new member complaining about issues with them...the rest of the time it's just other sigma owners trying to convince themselves they didnt buy a crappy cheap gun...which they did
    If your post is true with no embellishment, than it sounds like you got a lemon. It's a good thing NONE of the other company ever put out a lemon. I love my $250 Sigma.

The Sigma is cheap for a reason. Most of them have issues and need to be sent back in, not to mention tons of areas where the machine parts are poorly executed. I owned one brand new I bought back in January, put about 500 rounds through it. First 100 had 1 FTE, second 100 had 3, then it kept getting worst, and worst, until finally everytime I shot it, I would get an FTE. Sent it in to warranty, took about 3 weeks to get it back...when i called in to ask the status of my gun and i mentioned it was a Sigma that would constantly jam, the owner of the warranty center informed me I had to be specific because he had over 300 sigmas in house he had to fix for jamming issues. I also had low firing rounds, which was due to a poorly mounted front sight. So I had my extractor replaced and front sight and sold the POS as soon as it came back. After market accessories are hardly available....the rail is practically useless and needs and adapter for anything you add (with the exception of one laser manufacturer) and the trigger prevents the gun from being used for anything but self defense and some crappy range trips.

Save your money, buy a used glock or a used 3rd gen S&W semi auto other than the shitma. And it takes over 10 weeks to get the little crap rebate they offer, so when buying I would look at the face value being paid.

Sounds like you got a lemon, I have 3,500 rounds through my 40 and 1500 through my 9mm, Never had a problem, Both were dry fired 500 times before ammo was ever put in the gun.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    If you want the Sigma get it. It's a good gun. I had no problems with mine for 3 years. I did sell it though to finance an HK.

Send your coupon for the 2 free mags instead of rebate. at $35 each it's a better deal and your going to want them anyway.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    If you want the Sigma get it. It's a good gun. I had no problems with mine for 3 years. I did sell it though to finance an HK.

Send your coupon for the 2 free mags instead of rebate. at $35 each it's a better deal and your going to want them anyway.
    +1 if you get the mags or money option, take the mags.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

I bought my Sigma .40 two years ago and have never had one issue with it. It eats everything I have fed it thusfar. For the price it is a great gun. I am very satisfied with my Sigma.

My Sigma was a great gun, had the 40VE. It took me all of 15 minutes to fix the trigger. Just google Sigma trigger fix. Basically all you do is remove two small springs and put it back together, and low and behold you have a 6# or so pull. Got mine from Bud's for $299 shipping included. It took every bit of the 10 weeks to get the mags, but I did get them.

I had a Sigma 40....first generaqtion...GREAT gun....GREAT trigger......not sure about the newer ones but it was built well and functioned as well as my Glocks.....and for about $300......you cant go wrong.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Well, I ordered the SW40VE today. The one that I held sold yesterday. Thanks for all the input. I had to consider my financial status when making this decision and the total after rebate is 323.00 OTD. ($3.00 more than going through Buds). Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, I think that I made the right decision by going w/the Sigma. I decided on the 50.00 rebate instead of the mags because from my experience, in the type of range practice that I participate in, I rarely use more than 2 mags (3 at the most) at a time. Usually 6-7 timed shots at a target, then my turn is over. This is how I shoot 70%-80% of the time. We break up into groups/teams and shoot bowling pins or dart board targets. This kind of shooting is very ammo conserving. Even when we shoot breakables, I have never used more than 3 mags and again, usually only 2. Well, one time recently, we were shooting at the small Milk-Bones at 45' and we were allowed as many mags as we wanted. For that round I used my MK3 .22 with 8 mags. Let me tell you, that is challenging!
    When I get back to work, that G22 just might follow me home someday. I do like having both the 4" and 4.5"-5" versions of my auto loaders.

Thanks again
    Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

go with the M&P if you have to have a S&W

You are not venturing into the unknown. The Sigmas are the same as your Glock except with a stiffer trigger, which can be lightened, and a better grip.

I have a 40ve and a 9ve. They are very comfortable for carry.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links