S&W Sigma for $310.00

This is a discussion on S&W Sigma for $310.00 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First let me say this, I am a Glock lover! And I have and love both the G19 and G34. Now, being that I may ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W Sigma for $310.00

S&W Sigma for $310.00

First let me say this, I am a Glock lover! And I have and love both the G19 and G34. Now, being that I may venture into the .40 S&W world, I have a chance to pick up a brand new SW40VE for 310.00 (after the $50.00 rebate) w/2 mags, lock and case. This compares to a "brand new" condition used G22 RTF w/3 15 rd mags and nothing else for $560. I'm torn between the known quality/reliability of the Glock product and what I've been reading about the SW40VE (actually, mostly good reviews on the newest model). I have held the 40VE and pulled the notoriously horrible trigger...I really don't see what all the fuss is about with that trigger/gun. I find no problem with that trigger. Actually, the only complaints at all about the 40VE are over the trigger. And I like the two-tone look of the gun. Everybody that had a comment on this gun says that the gun goes bang every time without any type of failure...ever. Their comments sound an awful lot like the accolades given to Glocks in general. What do you think? Should I venture into the unknown with the S&W? Or fork over almost twice as much for the G22?

Thanks.
    Ceapea
    Last edited by Ceapea; April 7th, 2010 at 10:11 PM.

2. Remove Ads

My friend has a Sigma, and loves it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

If you're going to buy it, you can get them at Budsgunshop.com for $329 shipped to your FFL, before $50 MIR, so $279 plus your FFL's transfer fee.

To be completely honest I wouldn't recommend a Sigma as an entry point into the S&W brand. The trigger on the thing is one of the worst I've ever had the displeasure of trying. There are threads on other forums filled with questions on how to tweak the trigger and make the gun into an acceptable shooter. It's also fairly heavy for a polymer frame pistol, so for a concealed weapon it'll be more difficult to conceal.

I'd recommend saving up for a M&P which is a real nice gun, either that or looking used. I really think if you pick up a Sigma you're going to be turned off of an otherwise fine brand. If you're dead set on a gun that functions similar to the glock I'd look into the M&P or the XD, both of which can be found at great prices used. I've seen some pretty good deals on new ones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chyron View Post
    If you're going to buy it, you can get them at Budsgunshop.com for $329 shipped to your FFL, before $50 MIR, so $279 plus your FFL's transfer fee.
    ^What he said^

I've got the SW9VE and love it! It was my first handgun and the stiffer trigger actually helped me learn the fundamentals, rather than just slapping a really light trigger. In all honesty the trigger isn't that bad, its just not buttery smooth like Springfield XD9sc.

I'd say go for it and get the Sigma!
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

^What they Said^

$250 to 275 after rebate can be found a number of places. I've got both the 40 and 9mm both have been flawless. There is a poor man trigger job on the S&W forum that fixes the trigger issue if you don't like it. Most wheel gun guy's say it's fine the way it is.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

For the money, the Sigma is the best kept secret out there. 2,000 trouble free rounds through mine. Could the trigger be better? Yes! Is it horrible, hell no.

I have a 9VE that I paid $265 for after the rebate NIB a couple of months ago (when Buds had them for $299). I think its a good gun, especially for the price, but even when compared to guns that are more expensive. Its pretty compact, has smooth lines, its reliable, accurate, and has decent sights. The trigger, while it will never be as light as a 1911 or as smooth as a nice revolver DA, is perfectly usable.

There is a lot of bad mouthing that goes on about the Sigma trigger. I expect most of it is from people that have, at most, dry fired one a couple of times at a gun shop or show. Anyone with a reasonable amount of skill with handguns can master the Sigma trigger in pretty short order. I suspect most of the problem is lack of skill or dedication by the operator, not the design of the Sigma.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
    To be completely honest I wouldn't recommend a Sigma as an entry point into the S&W brand. The trigger on the thing is one of the worst I've ever had the displeasure of trying.

I'd recommend saving up for a M&P which is a real nice gun,
    If you're dead set on a gun that functions similar to the glock I'd look into the M&P or the XD, both of which can be found at great prices used. I've seen some pretty good deals on new ones as well.
    I appreciate your input. But I have read many (really mostly) positive reviews on the Sigma. I have tried the trigger and can find no problem at all with it (but I also love the first, double action pull on my Sig P220 and always start out with it that way). I have tried the M&P and DO NOT like it at all...doesn't feel right to me. Honestly, I have not tried the XD(M) line and really want to only compare the Sigma to the Glock. My search started out by trying to find an inexpensive but dependable hand gun and the Sigma seemed to fit the bill. The first gun I was considering was a used, police trade in, DA S&W M64 for $239 from J&G. The Glock was found while looking at used guns at my local Gander Mountain and it was too nice not to consider. If it weren't for the price of the Sigma, I would only be looking at the Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    Most wheel gun guy's say it's fine the way it is.
    I forgot to mention, my first love (gun love that is) is for the revolver, and I have quite a few. So yes, if it were true that the Sigma has a heavy trigger, and I don't think that it does, it certainly wouldn't bother me.

if you can tolerate the 50lb trigger pull, then it's not a bad gun for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Chyron View Post
    My dealer only charges me $25.00+MI sales tax on the gun price. So it will almost be a wash as far as price goes...within a few dollars. I wouldn't want to insult him by having the same gun shipped in to save a couple of bucks. Like $5.60 I believe.

Why inexpensive?

Well, besides wanting to save money like anybody else, I actually have another reason for wanting an inexpensive gun. Notice that I'm not saying "cheap". I have two brother-in-laws that are both stricken with cancer, and are in hospice care in inner city (read Detroit) hospitals. And being that I am currently laid off (this isn't a factor in the inexpensive part of it), I spend as much time as possible visiting/supporting my family at the hospitals. Now, Michigan carry laws prohibit carry in hospitals and I don't want to leave a $1000 Sig or even a $500 Glock in the car in the parking lot. And I won't travel there unarmed. This may sound like paranoia, but really, why risk it. I still have a family to come home to. I know that it is not the best practice to leave a gun in the car, unattended, and I am really not concerned about problems on hospital property(though it could happen). But if you had to drive through the part of town that I do on a regular basis, with car-jackings and other horrible things that horrible people do to each other, you'd want to be armed too. I don't want to ever loose any gun...ever, but this too is a possibility. Thus the need/want for an inexpensive but utterly reliable(and possibly expendable) hand gun.
    You know, I wonder if this isn't just an excuse to pick up another gun...nope, couldn't be

If your life could depend on it, don't buy something that's not well-respected in the marketplace as being reliable.

If you're going S&W, get an M&P.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    If your life could depend on it, don't buy something that's not well-respected in the marketplace as being reliable.

If you're going S&W, get an M&P.
    Funny you say that it's not reliable. I can't even begin to count the number of rounds I've shot out of mine over the last few years and I've NEVER had a malfunction.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links