Moving into the 21st century

This is a discussion on Moving into the 21st century within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice thread but.... I won't be givin' up any of my 1911's anytime soon. Many want to do away with the combustion engine,... NOT ME. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving into the 21st century

Nice thread but.... I won't be givin' up any of my 1911's anytime soon. Many want to do away with the combustion engine,... NOT ME. I love V-8's and 1911's...
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

2. Remove Ads

I like the idea and the function of Glocks, but the grip angle makes me throw up!

The only way I could shoot a Glock... is if I ONLY shot Glocks. That way, it wouldn't ruin me whenever I picked up another gun.
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    The sites dont come up to my eyes right
    The angle just doesnt work for me at ALL
    If a shooter takes a Glock and indexes their finger along the slide when bringing the weapon up on target it's impossible to not have the weapon lined up properly if you point your finger right at the target you intend to hit. However, this does also require someone to be willing to give it time and practice. I will admit that I practiced a ton to get it right.

just throwing that out there.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    If a shooter takes a Glock and indexes their finger along the slide when bringing the weapon up on target it's impossible to not have the weapon lined up properly if you point your finger right at the target you intend to hit. However, this does also require someone to be willing to give it time and practice. I will admit that I practiced a ton to get it right.

just throwing that out there.
    And if you do the same with a 1911, with the same amount of practice.... Which gun will shoot better? Hummm??? You'll never out shoot a single action trigger pull all else being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I know some here will think I am crazy, but after 27 years of carrying and competing with the 1911, I am calling it quits. I just sold my Ed Brown Cobra Carry, the last one I owned. Over the years I have owned every model from every manafacturers both custom and factory, and really wanted to be a 1911 guy. I loved the ergo and accuracy they offered, the history and the looks, but I have to be honest, and admit that the glock pistol reigns above all others. At a local IDPA match this weekend, my Cobra choked several
    times. I have never had a 1911 either custom or factory that did not, and that got me to reconsidering my priorties. I put the cobra in the truck and finished the match with my g20without a hitch. Bottom line is I have spent a coupe thousand on firearms that are not as reliable as glocks for a 1/4 of the money. So now I have plenty of money for new glocks and ammo and am officially out of the closet. Tradition and looks will have to take a back seat to reliability, time to step into the 21st century!
    I think you are crazy...

for getting rid of all of your 1911's, everybody should have at least one.

I used to carry and compete with my 1911 but had reliability issues, I'm no amatuer gunsmith so I don't know what the deal is. I was looking for an inexpensive 9mm carry option and was really considering a Kel-tec. After more and more research and pinching pennies I decided on a GLOCK 19. All reliability legends pointed to the GLOCK 9mm pistols as the best of the best of the best. Well I love this GLOCK 19, reliable, simple, rugged, accurate, and affordable.

Welcome back to the darkest corner of the dark side!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    You'll never out shoot a single action trigger pull all else being equal.
    And when the day comes when all else actually IS equal, be sure to let us know, ok?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I guess I let them all go was because I am trying to simplify things a little and I just don't have room in my life for things that are not dependable. When you pay 2400 for a gun and it fails to go into battery after 100 rounds just because it's alittle dirty it makes one rethink. This has happened to
    me with ALL 1911s of every make and model, for the last 27 years. I am not a greenhorn when it comes to firearms, I am just sick and tired of being in denial. Modern designs simply are superior and I think glocks are tops.(other than revolvers). Why stick with something that is inferior? I carried one in the Marines and all my life up till now. I'm trading the model T for a Ferrari.

VIP Member
    I guess I let them all go was because I am trying to simplify things a little and I just don't have room in my life for things that are not dependable. When you pay 2400 for a gun and it fails to go into battery after 100 rounds just because it's alittle dirty it makes one rethink. This has happened to
    me with ALL 1911s of every make and model, for the last 27 years. I am not a greenhorn when it comes to firearms, I am just sick and tired of being in denial. Modern designs simply are superior and I think glocks are tops.(other than revolvers). Why stick with something that is inferior? I carried one in the Marines and all my life up till now. I'm trading the model T for a Ferrari.
    In ten years I will give you a great deal on an XD or M&P if you like? They come with all them fancy features!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

And if you do the same with a 1911, with the same amount of practice.... Which gun will shoot better? Hummm??? You'll never out shoot a single action trigger pull all else being equal.
    Oh? Tell that to people like Dave Sevigny. I also know many people personally who shoot many guns better than 1911s which they've owned for a long time. Your beloved 1911 isn't the end all be all of everything gun related. As many here and elsewhere have attested to many times. Just drop the idea that a 1911 is perfect, no weapon system is. While I like them I wouldn't touch one in a marine environment where I could not guarantee time to keep up with maintenance if you gave it to me. I'd take something else.

I knew this would happen...when you turn away from the 1911 platform openly, it's like disturbing an ant mound.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Ask anyone of our soldiers serving today which he'd rather carry as his sidearm.... a 9mm Beretta

or one of these.....

They've been battle proven! How bout' the others?

Somewhat yes. I personally do not feel the xd is as proven. Additionally, I have alot of experience with he glock, and am qualified to service them, owned my first one back in the early 80s when they first hit the scene so I trust them. To me the xd is a copy and ao I would rather stick with the real deal. I would be interested in a side by side torture test of the two.
    XD torture test

I'm not trying to get you to change your decision, just a little FYI on the reliability of the XD platform.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator

Angry

Doggoneit...I dropped a piece of popcorn down the barrel of my 1911.

Ask anyone of our soldiers serving today which he'd rather carry as his sidearm.... a 9mm Beretta

or one of these.....

They've been battle proven! How bout' the others?
    Actually, I read an interview with the former army general in charge of the theater of operations in the gulf, and when ask what he preferred, he picked the M9. Many of my contacts back in CAMP LEJUANE, NC also say the M9 is very much accepted and preferred due to mag capacity. For the most part, the 1911 is only preferred by people who have a history with it, and are influenced by their own learned predjuces. Also, and I know this may hurt, the I think the M9 has proven itself in battle as well, after 25 years of service, it is still retained as the sidearm of the military. The same arguement was made against the M16 when it replaced the M1A. But today, everyone swears by it and only the old heads speak against it. The bottom line is GLOCKS ARE SUPREME! The truth hurts, I know, it did for me too. But I feel so much better now!

Actually, I read an interview with the former army general in charge of the theater of operations in the gulf, and when ask what he preferred, he picked the M9. Many of my contacts back in CAMP LEJUANE, NC also say the M9 is very much accepted and preferred due to mag capacity. For the most part, the 1911 is only preferred by people who have a history with it, and are influenced by their own learned predjuces.
    Well,... I just taked to General Petras and he prefers the 1911 by far over the M9 but, because the U.S. is a member of NATO, our soldiers are required to carry it. It's NOT their preference,...believe me.

I am soooo tired of people whining about grip angles.

If you compare the grip angles on pistols designed for target shooting, you will find they are closer to the angle on a Glock than they are to the angle on a 1911. Gee, I wonder why that is?

Seriously, I can fire 1911s, Glock, Xds, etc just fine. Index your bloody trigger finger along the slide, use it to point at the target, and you will be fine, regardless of the darn grip angle!

Grrrrrr!!!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links