Moving into the 21st century

This is a discussion on Moving into the 21st century within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by razor02097 Chevy is American... Glock isn't, I was thinking of a car the Germans built that was reliable but ooglie Ferrari is ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Moving into the 21st century

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Chevy is American... Glock isn't, I was thinking of a car the Germans built that was reliable but ooglie

Ferrari is built to be fast and pretty. A status symbol of sorts. Glock? NSM
    Fair enough.....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

What I meant in my analogy of the Ferrari vs the model T, since it is being debated is the glock will run circles around the 1911, as far as operating. I would have been more articulate in my post if I thought it would have become an issue.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I see you like Colt and use it as your avatar.
    I like a lot of different makes and models.
    I noticed you don't/didn't own any Colts.

Do you know William B Keys? .
    Not personally.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I like a lot of different makes and models.
    I noticed you don't/didn't own any Colts.

Not personally.
    The Vickers was a Colt. I just traded an XSE Cmndr for a smith 8 shot 357. I have had a few different Colts over the years. Likeable fool I traded a 1991a1 cmndr several years ago. It was the best factory 1911 I ever owned, it would feed empty brass. I traded the latest Colt because it would fail to go into battery after about50 rounds. If I ever get the craving for another one it will be a colt(I have an addiction). I served under General Keyes in the first Gulf War. I understand he is now the CEO of Colt.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I just find it interesting that we are comparing a high end 1911 to Glock when they aren't even in the same class of pistol.
    Sure they both shoot bullets but they are very different from each other.

A more fair comparison of a 1911 to a Glock isn't a custom pistol that cost a grand or more. It would be more along the lines of a real combat 1911... not the race gun 1911's with hundreds of doo dads... you know the ones they used in the wars.

A Glock is manufactured with large tolerances to help it's reliability. If there is dirt in the slide gap the sloppy slide fit will help that dirt have somewhere to go. The feed ramp is cut way into the cylinder to help feed and the action is meant to accomplish the primer punch task with as few parts as possible. The design was bold and something refreshing for the time of heavy bulky semi auto guns.

A 1911 was built to serve as a semi automatic platform America could take to war. The design is beautiful and very innovative for the time. The proven warhorse that is the 1911 is around for many reasons including the fact that the trigger pull can be as good as a high quality SA revolver. Now a days the 1911 manufacturers like to push how tight their tolerances are and how smooth the actions are... how high tech the materials are... how they are each hand built and fitted. Tight tolerances will lead to problems when it gets fouling or any build up.

There is a major difference between the 1911 and Glock. Glock is made by Glock. The 1911 is made by pretty much everyone.

Both guns are wonderful and I don't believe one is superior to the other.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I was just expressing my aggitation with my experience and my desire to change over. While some of what you say is true, the high end 1911s that I have had are sold and marketed for and as fighting guns, so we should be able to expect to hell and back performance. I used to want them for pride of ownership but my priorties have changed. I want extreme reliability.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I was just expressing my aggitation with my experience and my desire to change over. While some of what you say is true, the high end 1911s that I have had are sold and marketed for and as fighting guns, so we should be able to expect to hell and back performance. I used to want them for pride of ownership but my priorties have changed. I want extreme reliability.
    Mostly because the 1911 is built by hundreds of manufacturers it is difficult to find ones that are built for fighting and the ones built for being pretty.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

There are a lot of folks who think as you do. I have had numerous 1911 guns from Colt, Kimber, and AMT (Hardballer), and while I admire the 1911 as being American as apple pie, I always prefer simple point and shoot handguns like my Glocks or Kahr or even one of my double action revolvers in .357 magnum or .44 special. I do agree with you that if you pay $2,000.00+ for a handgun, it had better work, period! Unfortunately like anything else, that is not always the case. Throwing money at a problem doesn't always guarantee a solution.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    There are a lot of folks who think as you do. I have had numerous 1911 guns from Colt, Kimber, and AMT (Hardballer), and while I admire the 1911 as being American as apple pie, I always prefer simple point and shoot handguns like my Glocks or Kahr or even one of my double action revolvers in .357 magnum or .44 special. I do agree with you that if you pay $2,000.00+ for a handgun, it had better work, period! Unfortunately like anything else, that is not always the case. Throwing money at a problem doesn't always guarantee a solution.
    Well stated. I wished I could have found that in a 1911,but it's not gonna happen.

. I used to want them for pride of ownership but my priorties have changed. I want extreme reliability.
    Yep....

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    glockman10mm, I am glad you have found you like glocks better than 1911's.

You do know they were both designed and built in the 20th century, right?

I do find it interesting you claim you wanted to like 1911's, but your forum name is "glock10mm".

BTW, the only centerfire guns I've ever seen that had malfs one could not clear at the line were revolvers and Glocks.
    Last edited by AutoFan; April 10th, 2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: grammar correction

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links