Moving into the 21st century

This is a discussion on Moving into the 21st century within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know some here will think I am crazy, but after 27 years of carrying and competing with the 1911, I am calling it quits. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving into the 21st century

Moving into the 21st century

I know some here will think I am crazy, but after 27 years of carrying and competing with the 1911, I am calling it quits. I just sold my Ed Brown Cobra Carry, the last one I owned. Over the years I have owned every model from every manafacturers both custom and factory, and really wanted to be a 1911 guy. I loved the ergo and accuracy they offered, the history and the looks, but I have to be honest, and admit that the glock pistol reigns above all others. At a local IDPA match this weekend, my Cobra choked several
    times. I have never had a 1911 either custom or factory that did not, and that got me to reconsidering my priorties. I put the cobra in the truck and finished the match with my g20without a hitch. Bottom line is I have spent a coupe thousand on firearms that are not as reliable as glocks for a 1/4 of the money. So now I have plenty of money for new glocks and ammo and am officially out of the closet. Tradition and looks will have to take a back seat to reliability, time to step into the 21st century!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    you mean 20th century? Glocks where invented in the 80's and the G20 was offered in the 90's

Good for you, you recognized what you needed and made the appropriate steps in resolving your issue.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Administrator
    Man, I hope you put your gloves on prior to posting that; there is a fight about to break out.

"Just blame Sixto"

It was the only thing I could think of to tick off both Glock and 1911 owners
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

An XDm or M&P would be a 21st century pistol.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If it were left up to the 1911 club, we'd still all be driving around in Model Ts. As good as it is, it has its shortcomings.

Glocks are good, in some cases--for some people--even great. Perfect, they are not; who makes a perfect gun for everyone?

I don't own a 1911. I'd love to have one. But because I don't, for whatever reasons, I'm certainly not going to turn my nose up at one or anyone who chooses to carry one. I realyy don't understand this pro-/anti-Glock controversy that continues day in and day out. It's just like cars: don't like a Ford--get a Chevy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Where is Diogenes when you need him; it looks like we've finally found an honest man!

Looks and history mean exactly squat to me when it comes to a tool I'm betting my life on. Glad you've found something that works for you (and just plain works, too).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Eh, go with what you like, and fits ya. So long as you can get it to function for you.
    Personally Sig, but every tool made by man will fail.
    1.2% of the time is an acceptable failure rate for me. Anything more is just too much.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

In moving into the 21st century I bought a 21st century designed and manufactured j-frame designed with advanced metallurgy techniques to allow for longevity when firing hot load .357 magnum rounds.

Much like buying 21st century weapons like gen 4 glocks, XDms, and M&P's that fire rounds such as 9mm. 380, and 45 acp designed before my grandfather was old enough to own a handgun or rounds designed in the 80's and 90's like the .357 sig, 10mm, and 40 s&w

A Man gotta do what A Man's gotta do. So be it!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I alternate shooting in competition with a 1911 or H&K/CZ/Sig. It is partially due to reliability issues although since broken in and tweeked both my 1911s have been flawless with factory ammo.

The 1911s are more fun and accurate to shoot. My concern for carrying is the safety. I will not chance a brain fart in an emergency. I want to draw and fire without sweeping a safety. Those who grew up shooting 1911s do not fall into this category and given the choice my first gun might have been a 1911.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    My concern for carrying is the safety. I will not chance a brain fart in an emergency. I want to draw and fire without sweeping a safety.
    Which is exactly one of the nice features of the little CZ-82 I recently picked up. The double-action trigger pull is sufficiently heavy enough that it's highly unlikely to have an accidental discharge, and once fired, the SA action is very smooth.

Still, you have the choice of safety on or not. Shooter's option!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I understand your thinking.
    I put my Kimbers in the safe when making my Glock-36 my EDC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    An XDm or M&P would be a 21st century pistol.
    There is nothing innovative about either of those pistols. Just because they were made in the 00's does not make them a 21st century design.
    Glock "Perfection" is not just a slogan; it is truth in advertising.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Which is exactly one of the nice features of the little CZ-82 I recently picked up. The double-action trigger pull is sufficiently heavy enough that it's highly unlikely to have an accidental discharge, and once fired, the SA action is very smooth.

Still, you have the choice of safety on or not. Shooter's option!
    I agree. And there are plenty of .45 acp that fall into this category.

The 1911 is a beautiful gun and a good shooter, but modern .45s have more features, better reliability and more capacity, making them much better choices for carry.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links