who carries a 380 as primary - Page 2

who carries a 380 as primary

This is a discussion on who carries a 380 as primary within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In warm weather I often end up with a pocket carry Sig P238 as my only carry gun. I do prefer at least a snubbie ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: who carries a 380 as primary

Distinguished Member
    In warm weather I often end up with a pocket carry Sig P238 as my only carry gun. I do prefer at least a snubbie but let's not go into that one. Remember, the gun that you carry beats the better one at home in the safe. The problem with SD ammo in 380 is not so much, what should I be loaded with but more, what can I get to load? I snagged some Corbon DPX 80 gr as someone else mentioned, the Gold Dot is great if you can find it and I'm holding the Magtech First Defense 77 gr as back up.

Always get enough to feed some to your 380 at the range to make sure it will eat. 380's are notorious for being finicky towards ammo, especially hollow points, and the range is the only acceptable place to discover that problem.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I do at times and would like to all the times but in my own opinion, I think we're kidding ourselves that the .380 is suitable for self defense. Before I get flammed, I agree with all the over sued metaphores like it's better than throwing rocks and no I wouldn't want to be shot with one but come on, it's really a lightweight round.

Still I carry a Kahr P380 in dress pants in situations where I don't feel I can carry anything else and I have to have a tucked shirt. I don't feel good about any kind of tuckable holster.

But I have tried to step it up to a .38+p in an Airweight revolver or a 9mm whenever I can. The reason the .380 still gets carried is becasue the flat P380 is so much easier to pocket carry than the J frame which seems bulky and huge by comparison; mainly due to the cylinder.

Despite all the cliche's, I think we're better off stepping it up from our beloved .380's if we can find a way to do so.

And in my neck of the woods, .380 is starting to show back up on the selves!

God Bless
    Gideon

I have been carrying a Sig P238 since I bought it last Fall. I thought I would try it as a primary for a while. It was so comfortable it became my regular gun when going to and from work or to the grocery store. At home and at other times, I have my XD9sc. For carry ammo, I use the 90gr Gold Dots. .380 ammo is still too expensive, but is has dropped considerably and is more readily available than it was this time last year.

I've been carrying my LCP more and more as my primary. So does my wife - we have matching LCP's. She carries one spare mag - I carry two. We both have CT lasers, and painted the front sights to make them more visible.

I load mine with FMJ Flat Points - plain Winchester White Box. Haven't seen any more in quite a while, except a local gun store that wanted $70 for a box of 100! I told them - no thanks.

I do have some Hornady Critical Defense in .380, and used to dutch load - one FMJ alternating with one CD round. However, I've come to the conclusion that shot placement and penetration to the vitals is everything in a gunfight. CD gets ~ 10 inches, which is under the FBI minimum of 12...15 is preferred. FMJ in .380 gets 16-17 inches. More than likely, your bullets will need to penetrate hands and arms before even getting to the torso. Thus, my decision to use FMJ in .380.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Edc .380

Micro Desert Eagle + FMJ

When the weather turns warm, I carry a P-3AT.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I carry my ruger LCP in the warmer weather when wearing a fitting t-shirt its much easier to tuck the LCP in my front pocket and not worry about printing. Usually keep it loaded with 7 rounds of whatever hollow points I have laying around, if I need more than 7 HP's I should call in S.W.A.T. but I'm not one of those guys who carries 4 guns and 3 buck knives so your idea of sufficient firepower may be different. Better to have the LCP in my pocket than my 1911 in the truck.

My Sig P238 has been my everyday/all day carry since I bought it last year. Before that it was an LCP. FMJ.

I usually carry a Glock 19 when not at work and wardrobe will allow, but the .380 is always there in my pocket.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I carried a .380 for many years in the form of a Astra Constable and then a Beretta 84. The last and possibly best round I carried was the Gold Dot. My prime criteria for ammo selection was how well it fed and fired and it's accuracy.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    50% of my carry is a LCP with Hornady #90080.

I've had a lot of people tell me that my LCP is useless but they won't let me try it out on em' to prove a point!

Best!

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I carry a P3AT about 1/3 of the time, with FMJ

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    When the weather turns warm and I'm in shorts and a tee shirt I change to my Kel-TecP3AT in my front pocket. It goes everywhere my pants go.

I mostly carry an LCP with Corbon DPX. If I want to go bigger I strap on an IWB with my PPS with 9mm 147 HST rounds.
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I do at times and would like to all the times but in my own opinion, I think we're kidding ourselves that the .380 is suitable for self defense. Before I get flammed, I agree with all the over sued metaphores like it's better than throwing rocks and no I wouldn't want to be shot with one but come on, it's really a lightweight round.

Still I carry a Kahr P380 in dress pants in situations where I don't feel I can carry anything else and I have to have a tucked shirt. I don't feel good about any kind of tuckable holster.

But I have tried to step it up to a .38+p in an Airweight revolver or a 9mm whenever I can. The reason the .380 still gets carried is becasue the flat P380 is so much easier to pocket carry than the J frame which seems bulky and huge by comparison; mainly due to the cylinder.

Despite all the cliche's, I think we're better off stepping it up from our beloved .380's if we can find a way to do so.

And in my neck of the woods, .380 is starting to show back up on the selves!

God Bless
    Gideon
    No flames, fellow Missourian. There are a "slew" of reasons for carrying a "mouse". I'm new to the concept of CCW even though I voted for it. (was it '04 or '06 in MO?) I carried the .22mag NAA Mini because my G26 simply seems too heavy(for now), and I didn't have a proper holster for my (MUCH lighter) .38.
    An incident a few weeks ago opened my eyes and made me more of a believer in the "anywhere, anytime" concept. Thankfully, it was a false alarm, but it brought a few issues into better focus.

Yes I do some times a Bersa Thunder with 88.gr JHP's.

It's nice to have some thing smaller and less printive (is that a word?) then my 5904.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links