who carries a 380 as primary

This is a discussion on who carries a 380 as primary within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never. As a BUG yes. With smaller 9mm's like Kahr's out there, there's no reason to not have a 9mm with you....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: who carries a 380 as primary

Never. As a BUG yes. With smaller 9mm's like Kahr's out there, there's no reason to not have a 9mm with you.

2. Remove Ads

PA63 everyday. but i am looking at some 9mm's and some .40's for a new primary carry.

VIP Member
    I carry one at times. Started with a bunch of PPK/s and a P232. Finally settled on the LCP. I just use standard ball in .380.

I don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by tennvol View Post
    Never. As a BUG yes. With smaller 9mm's like Kahr's out there, there's no reason to not have a 9mm with you.
    I have and routinely carry a PM9. It is a great pistol and generally carries quite well. It doesn't carry as well as my Colt Pony .380.

It may not be a huge difference but when pocket carrying in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt there is a difference.
    Hooah! It's an Army thing!

topsblades@gmail.com

Taken on an article by Massad Ayoob, "There are those who recommend ball ammo like this in a .380, on the theory that hollow points with feeble .380 ballistics may lack adequate penetration. Good theory as far as it goes (no pun intended), but we have to remember that it was with round-nose FMJ like this that the .380 earned its reputation as something less than a reliable man stopper. .....I’VE PERSONALLY RUN across too many cases of slow stops and non-stops with .380 hits to trust that caliber for self-defense."
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    I'm not a big guy, 5'6", so it is more practical to carry one of my .380. I just practice drawing smoothly and fairly quick.
    +1. I am only 5/7 myself, and carry a colt mustang.
    Yes it is not as powerful as a 9 or a 40. However, if I have to use it it will be at a range where good shot placement is probable.
    Just remember what someone else posted:
    "2 to the chest and one to the head.
    Even the jolly Green Giant will fall down dead"

I carry hydrashoks.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I carry a KelTec .380 quite often and my wife and daughter carry a LCP most of the time. It's loaded with Hornady CD. I feel very safe with them.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

NO one has chimed in so I will, Buffalo Bore. I know there are strong differing opinions, but, I would argue to at least make the last round in the clip a Buffalo Bore. Which opinion depends on your perspective.

We know that FMJ goes deeper and has a better chance of reaching a vital organ but less wound cavity. I also am concerned about going through and harming an innocent bystander. I'd rather take a bullet myself than give one to a small child in the vicinity. I don't know if a BB FMJ 380 would go through and through, but I've seen the numbers and their pretty impressive. For a Solid point BB 100 gr.at 1150 FPS give a whopping 294 Ftlbs. of energy.

I load up with BB hollow points. Energy numbers for a 90 gr. at 1200 FPS are 288 ft. lbs. Where 38+P Federal Hydra Shok 129 gr. at 950 FPS is 264. The new Winchester PDX1 adopted by, I believe, the FBI, is 147 gr. at 956 FPS or 298 Ftlbs. of energy. Hopefully I didn't transpose any numbers somewhere or manufacturers haven't changed their published numbers, again.

These numbers are of course subjective, like, what's better a fast lighter bullet or a heavier slower bullet. Again, perspective.

Personally, if you practice sufficiently to put a bullet into a BG heart at 21 feet, Would all these numbers matter? Even 9mm is not known for being an effective one shot stop. It begs for a quick accurate double tap, or, triple tap.

So the answer in my mind is; carry the largest caliber you can, practice with it religiously, put your shots where they'll do the most good, and don't harm the innocents. If 380 is the result of your equation, make sure you have a reliable, quality gun/load. Practice, Practice.............

Finally, stay out of places where the threat on your safety is high.
    Easy to say, right!

about 25% of the time i carry a p3at with fmj ball ammo.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

About 90% of the time I carry my Walther PPK with Hornady Critical Defense, I feel completely safe and confident with it.

Colt Government 380, cocked and locked. Also carry 2 extra clips in my front left pocket. Carried it for years but recently with Corbon DPX. First rule of gunfight...
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

I often carry a H&K 4 with the 380 barrel. Compact and convenient. Usually with a shoulder holster but sometimes IWB. Depends on where I'm going to be and what I'm wearing.

Usually, though, I carry a 9mm H&K USP compact.

I almost always have my Glock with me, but there are times I just take the KelTec P-3AT (1st gen)...Speer, here.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    I often carry a H&K 4 with the 380 barrel. Compact and convenient. Usually with a shoulder holster but sometimes IWB. Depends on where I'm going to be and what I'm wearing.
    Sounds interesting. Got a picture?

Ruger LCP in front pocket most of the time.

Ruger SR9 OWB if I have a coat or sweatshirt. I am looking at getting the SR9c possibly next.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links