who carries a 380 as primary - Page 5

who carries a 380 as primary

This is a discussion on who carries a 380 as primary within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by druryj Am quite comfortable with carrying my PPK/S .380. There are occasions when it is the only firearm on me. By default ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: who carries a 380 as primary

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Am quite comfortable with carrying my PPK/S .380.
    There are occasions when it is the only firearm on me. By default it becomes my "primary."

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    I'm not a big guy, 5'6", so it is more practical to carry one of my .380. I just practice drawing smoothly and fairly quick.
    I'm not buyin'

I'm the same height as you, here is my carry regimen:

No, I don't carry .380 as primary, if I can get away with it
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    Weight has as much to do with it as size.
    Kahr PM9 at 20 oz loaded is 50% heaver than a 12 oz loaded LCP.
    That maters a lot for pocket carry.
    When I feel the need for something with more power I carry my PPS 40 in a holster.
    True, weight does matter. Hell I carried a all-steel Para Ord P14 for years...that was a beast!

I generally only wear shorts/pants with a belt, ie no elastic or drawstrings so the weight on the pocket typically isn't a issue. I have a SW 642 that I carried everywhere for about 10 years before I got the PM9. I could never hit anything with it, the narrow grips and the recoil was way to much for me.

YMMV but I'd gladly suck up double the weight for 7 rounds of 9mm vs 7 rounds of .380.

Quote Originally Posted by tennvol View Post
    YMMV but I'd gladly suck up double the weight for 7 rounds of 9mm vs 7 rounds of .380.
    Absolutely. 5' 7" 160 lbs here and FORMER Kel-Tec P3AT carrier who now pocket carries a Kahr PM9 w/ 2 spare mags every day and has been for 5 years... I also have a Crossbreed Supertuck hoslster in the 1911 pattern and a Comptac C-Tac Minotaur holster in the Glock 19 pattern. No problems with either of those as well when I decide to carry a "real gun". ;)

I really pity the people who act as if they were carrying around a bank vault when talking about the PM9.

Ruger LCP is my primary only when I have to carry deep concealment or times when I want to carry light. IE: running or at the gym (smart carry holster) etc...

However, If I had to defend myself with an LCP, I think I could make due.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUST8383 View Post
    Ruger LCP is my primary only when I have to carry deep concealment or times when I want to carry light. IE: running or at the gym (smart carry holster) etc...

However, If I had to defend myself with an LCP, I think I could make due.

I agree, I just got one and until I actually shot it, I thought it was a toy. It has it's place, but I would ALWAYS wish I was pulling a G27 or a .45 if I ever need it. But...it's a gun that can always be carried, I imagine even at a nudist colony! It would fit in the proverbial crack I bet!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

In the summer months, I sometimes carry a Sig P232 as a primary. It gets switched out between a M36 2" snub and a M60 3" depending on dress. The P232 fits nicely in a pocket holster or just on the belt via a "Clip Draw" clip.

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

My P3AT w/Hornady Critical Defense is my primary carry in a Desantis Superfly pocket holster (+2 Mag's in my hidden pockets in my 5.11 tactical jeans).

My BUG which used to be my primary gun (for half my life) is my 9mm S&W 669, 12+1 w/Fed. HydraShock.

I classify them in that order because I have noticed myself putting my hand in my pocket when someone looks like they are going to get too close to my personal space. It looks more natural to have my hand in my pocket at the ready than to reach under my shirt. Much faster draw if my hand is in pocket already!

Quote Originally Posted by XsYang View Post
    My P3AT w/Hornady Critical Defense is my primary carry in a Desantis Superfly pocket holster (+2 Mag's in my hidden pockets in my 5.11 tactical jeans).

My BUG which used to be my primary gun (for half my life) is my 9mm S&W 669, 12+1 w/Fed. HydraShock.

I classify them in that order because I have noticed myself putting my hand in my pocket when someone looks like they are going to get too close to my personal space. It looks more natural to have my hand in my pocket at the ready than to reach under my shirt. Much faster draw if my hand is in pocket already!
    The LCP or P3AT is small enough it can be held in the palm of ones hand and not be noticed. Having a weapon like this that is ready to be used and not show can come in mighty handy.

LCP with 90gr Gold Dots in the back pocket(holstered) of my dress slacks. It fits the bill when concealment is a high priority.

My M&P 40c is preferred, but when clothing doesnt allow for it the little .380 fits the bill

It all depends on the time of the year and what I am wearing. Could be a 1911A1 .45, or a Kahr CW9 or a NAA Guardian .380.

Any gun will do, if you will do.
    When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.

My boss just got a Bersa Thunder. I nicknamed it the Noisy Cricket.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    My Glock 27 is my primary. But......

I carry a Kel Tec P3AT with a spare six round mag as a primary occasionally. It is always on me when I am at home. I have it loaded with WWB Flat Nose 95 gr. FMJ.

Are the Buffalo Bore loads recommended for firing out of the Kel Tecs? I've been wary of shooting these loads in my gun.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Just get the new Walther PK380 and be done with it.
    Fits like a glove!
    Wicked accurate!
    Affordable!
    Nice safety features
    Thin is in!
    Looks awesome!
    Easy to carry OWB
    All fingers fit on the grip! (No dropped pinky!)

Get the Glock/XDM's 9mm or .40 Cal etc for Home defense.
    " If you keep aiming for NOTHING, you will hit it every time! "

380 Keltec

I carry P-3AT with Hornady CD's and the CT Laser puts them right where I want.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links