Defensive Carry banner

who carries a 380 as primary

7K views 76 replies 69 participants last post by  sliponby 
#1 ·
Just wondering.
Ammo suggestions also
I was playing with a keltec at a LGS the other night.
Sooooo light and concealable
Very tempted!

#2 ·
I carry my little KelTec P3AT at times stoked with Hornady Critical Defense Ammo as my primary and don't feel the least bit under gunned!

#5 ·
I occasionally carry a Sig P230 as primary, but since the P239 (and, really, the P228) aren't THAT much bigger, it doesn't see much primary duty. That said, stoked with Gold Dots, it's a very handy, accurate set up, and while it's as "low" as I'm willing to go (and even then not often), I think it will get me through the majority of situations well.

#8 ·
I've often carried an NAA Mini .22wmr. I know. I know. The question was specifically about .380's.
My point is simply that if what you'd PREFER to carry is not an option (whatever the reason) a "mouse-gun" is better than nothing.

#36 ·

+1. I am only 5/7 myself, and carry a colt mustang.
Yes it is not as powerful as a 9 or a 40. However, if I have to use it it will be at a range where good shot placement is probable.
Just remember what someone else posted:
"2 to the chest and one to the head.
Even the jolly Green Giant will fall down dead"

I carry hydrashoks.

#10 ·
No .380, but I am refinishing a CZ-82 in 9x18 Makarov (12+1 rds), which is right between the .380 and 9mm. I might feel a bit undergunned against an AK-47, but hopefully I'll avoid that situation.

Staring down the business end of any gun is intimindating.

#11 ·
I used to carry my Interarms Walther PPK/s in .380, then I switched to the Kel-Tec P3AT because I could get the same firepower (+1 mag extension) in a MUCH smaller and lighter package. Carried it for a year or two then fell in love with the Kahr PM9. Been carrying that (pocket) almost daily since 2005 and never looked back. I'll take one less round for a trade from .380 to 9mm +p any day with two spare mags in the left pocket. Never felt completely comfortable with the P3AT reliability (bought a second as a spare when the first went back to Kel-Tec) and they just didn't seem durable over the long haul. In fact, I was glad to stop carrying them and just keep them around as more of a novelty than anything else.

#12 ·
I carried a PPK for MANY years. When the KT P11 and the Kahrs came out, I upgraded to the P11 and a K40. About the same size as a PPK, but much more effective calibers.

#13 ·
Wife and I both carry P3ATs with extra mag.

Ammo being hard to find, we both use HP, but would not object to good FMJ.

We have practiced with these little guns and do not feel under gunned.

If you do your part the gun will do its part.

#16 ·
In warm weather I often end up with a pocket carry Sig P238 as my only carry gun. I do prefer at least a snubbie but let's not go into that one. Remember, the gun that you carry beats the better one at home in the safe. The problem with SD ammo in 380 is not so much, what should I be loaded with but more, what can I get to load? I snagged some Corbon DPX 80 gr as someone else mentioned, the Gold Dot is great if you can find it and I'm holding the Magtech First Defense 77 gr as back up.

Always get enough to feed some to your 380 at the range to make sure it will eat. 380's are notorious for being finicky towards ammo, especially hollow points, and the range is the only acceptable place to discover that problem.

#17 ·
I do at times and would like to all the times but in my own opinion, I think we're kidding ourselves that the .380 is suitable for self defense. Before I get flammed, I agree with all the over sued metaphores like it's better than throwing rocks and no I wouldn't want to be shot with one :redface: but come on, it's really a lightweight round.

Still I carry a Kahr P380 in dress pants in situations where I don't feel I can carry anything else and I have to have a tucked shirt. I don't feel good about any kind of tuckable holster.

But I have tried to step it up to a .38+p in an Airweight revolver or a 9mm whenever I can. The reason the .380 still gets carried is becasue the flat P380 is so much easier to pocket carry than the J frame which seems bulky and huge by comparison; mainly due to the cylinder.

Despite all the cliche's, I think we're better off stepping it up from our beloved .380's if we can find a way to do so.

And in my neck of the woods, .380 is starting to show back up on the selves! :hand10:

God Bless
Gideon

#29 ·
No flames, fellow Missourian. There are a "slew" of reasons for carrying a "mouse". I'm new to the concept of CCW even though I voted for it. (was it '04 or '06 in MO?) I carried the .22mag NAA Mini because my G26 simply seems too heavy(for now), and I didn't have a proper holster for my (MUCH lighter) .38.
An incident a few weeks ago opened my eyes and made me more of a believer in the "anywhere, anytime" concept. Thankfully, it was a false alarm, but it brought a few issues into better focus.

#18 ·
I have been carrying a Sig P238 since I bought it last Fall. I thought I would try it as a primary for a while. It was so comfortable it became my regular gun when going to and from work or to the grocery store. At home and at other times, I have my XD9sc. For carry ammo, I use the 90gr Gold Dots. .380 ammo is still too expensive, but is has dropped considerably and is more readily available than it was this time last year.

#19 ·
I've been carrying my LCP more and more as my primary. So does my wife - we have matching LCP's. She carries one spare mag - I carry two. We both have CT lasers, and painted the front sights to make them more visible.

I load mine with FMJ Flat Points - plain Winchester White Box. Haven't seen any more in quite a while, except a local gun store that wanted $70 for a box of 100! I told them - no thanks.:rolleyes:

I do have some Hornady Critical Defense in .380, and used to dutch load - one FMJ alternating with one CD round. However, I've come to the conclusion that shot placement and penetration to the vitals is everything in a gunfight. CD gets ~ 10 inches, which is under the FBI minimum of 12...15 is preferred. FMJ in .380 gets 16-17 inches. More than likely, your bullets will need to penetrate hands and arms before even getting to the torso. Thus, my decision to use FMJ in .380.

#22 ·
I carry my ruger LCP in the warmer weather when wearing a fitting t-shirt its much easier to tuck the LCP in my front pocket and not worry about printing. Usually keep it loaded with 7 rounds of whatever hollow points I have laying around, if I need more than 7 HP's I should call in S.W.A.T. but I'm not one of those guys who carries 4 guns and 3 buck knives so your idea of sufficient firepower may be different. Better to have the LCP in my pocket than my 1911 in the truck.

#48 ·
DarthPete, if I may ask the reason for the switch from LCP to P238? Which do you like better? Im actually waiting on my permit and those are the two Im considering for everyday carry. Feel free to PM me to keep the thread on topic.

Back on topic, I will be carrying a .380 as Im going for comfort and ease of carry. I will most likely be pocket carrying and I just dont think anything bigger than a LCP or P238 will be too comfortable in the pocket.

#25 ·
50% of my carry is a LCP with Hornady #90080.

I've had a lot of people tell me that my LCP is useless but they won't let me try it out on em' to prove a point!

Best!

Craig

#47 ·
50% of my carry is a LCP with Hornady #90080.

I've had a lot of people tell me that my LCP is useless but they won't let me try it out on em' to prove a point!

Best!

Craig
:rofl: Yup! that's the best way to shut um down.

I carry one of my .380s daily and have never had any qualms about it's ability. In fact I pity the fool that makes me pull it, cause I'll most likely empty the thing on him/them.:image035:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.